P/I/P Home opener Rapids verse SKC, 7PM Sat. 3/24

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, Mar 23, 2018.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    P/I/P Home opener Rapids verse Sporting Kansas 7PM Sat. 3/24 at the Dick.
    I can't make it (usually miss March games). TV is Altitude I believe.
    I predict a Rapids win, 3-2. Have fun if you are there.

fortcollins and Andy126 repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy126 repped this.
  3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    So, the Rapids are going to be without Gashi and at best Mason and Aigner will be reserves for this match. This combined with Niki Jackson's goal makes me wonder if he will be starting along with Badji Saturday night.

In the midfield I am guessing that Price, Blomberg and Martinez will again start although I suspect that Boateng has a shot at getting some time as well.

The last question in terms of starters is who starts with Wilson and Smith in the back three? My guess is that it will be Wynne again.

No reason that Hairston and Castillo won't be starting at wingback baring injury.

7. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    REF: SORIN STOICA
    AR1: ANDREW BIGELOW
    AR2: OSCAR MITCHELL-CARVALHO
    4TH: ALEJANDRO MARISCAL
    VAR: RICARDO SALAZAR

Or the all anagram version . . .

REF: SOON SATIRIC
    AR1: Bewailed Wrong
    AR2: Choleric Larval Stomach
    4TH: Jailor Named "Rascal"
    VAR: Alias "Razor Card"

SccrDon, Sachsen and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  8. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 rapids win.

9. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wait - why is Aigner still not playing? I know Mason has a toe thing, but I thought Aigner was ready jeez.

10. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    1-2 loss. Badji, Jackson, McBean as choices for our starting forwards is why I predict this. Goal by Castillo. I was gonna go but got pulled away to another gig. I did already buy tix to the LAG game in August though. Pinning my hopes on Zlatan making it to that one.

11. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Game Day Boys! Home opener game day as well!

Rapids 1-0 win, goal by Price.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aigner and Mason are both available off the bench but not ready to start.

13. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think you are being a bit optimistic given that SKC has been scoring a TON of goals and Ford is not in the back line. They are going to score at least one, maybe 2 against us.

The question is if we can score. The amount of time Aigner (and possibly Mason) spend on the field directly relates to this question. If Aigner is on the field to provide some quality service, I think we can score. Badji may have a few misses, but he also puts a lot of pressure on the opposing defense to collapse on a run. That should open up (insert name here) to put some shots on frame. If Aigner is not there to provide the quality service, then I think we still get some shots (first game had plenty). Those shots may not be as high of quality and therefore become saves instead of goals.

So, I think it ends in a tie. Maybe something like 1-1 or 2-2. If Aigner plays more, then it becomes a 2-1 or 3-2 (gasp, 3 goals!) type win. I just don't see us clean-slating SKC.

Particularly if they take low shots so Howard has to bend down to pick up the ball (I know at my age the thought of picking up a quarter is just not worth it. Must be paper money to be worth the effort.)

rod.

jimijam28 repped this.
  14. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one's a tossup. This is SKCs fourth match, and they stand 2-1-0, 7 GF, 7 GA. Defensively, it isn't terribly far off Colorado's production, if projected to three matches. Shots and shots on frame per match are level. The all-time series is 23-24-13, too. Where the teams differ on stats is that Colorado commits and suffers a few more fouls per match this season and SKC has a ton more corners.

There is a curious statement in the MLS preview, though:

While Sporting Kansas City will be without forward DFaniel Salloi, who will be with the Hungarian U-21 national team, the Rapids are fortunate not to lose any players during the international break. Their New Zealand trio of Kip Colvey, Tommy Smith and Deklan Wynne are not part of the All Whites squad that will take on Canada in Spain on Saturday.

Instead, following a conversation between the former Kiwi coach in Rapids head man Anthony Hudson and the current New Zealand coach Fritz Schmid, it was decided they wouldn’t get called up. Smith and Wynne were part of Hudson’s three-man backline against the Revs on March 10.​

Interesting.

JasonMa and Rod1916 repped this.
  15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    That seems like such an un-Vermes scoreline. Way more goals in both directions. Have they changed their approach? Maybe Vermes will want to clamp down for a good old 0-0 or 1-1 slog.

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Thanks Fritz! Both most likely will be starting tonight. And since I just bought tickets for the match appreciate this even more.

On a different note, I wonder when/if we'll see Sjóberg and or Serna?

The Rapids have really been pumping up this match. Lot's of new players and coaches. Close to a sell out. New pregame rituals. Fish and Chips. Hope the Rapids produce on the pitch. That's really what matters.

Andy126 repped this.
  17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Will we see more than one sub?

18. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barn Owl Wedgie

fortcollins and Rod1916 repped this.
  19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mention SKC being down two players due to injury, were you referring to Busio and Evans? They are back to full training but unknown if they traveled with the club. This article opines that both sides are at "full strength":

https://www.sportingkc.com/post/201...d-colorado-rapids-full-strength-ahead-colvskc

Now, SKC would argue that we are not at full strength due to Salloi being absent with the Hungary U21s. His absence will be felt as he has been absolutely dynamic the last two games and has linked up very well with the two newcomers, Gutierrez and Russell. The guess is that Gerso will likely start in his place (he has been coming off the bench as a late game sub so far.) It remains to be seen what effect it will have. I personally do not rate Gerso as highly as many other SKC fans, he is fast and appears dangerous but usually makes poor decisions and loses the ball before doing anything good with it. Croizet may actually be the starter - new DP this year - but he has been pretty ineffective so far and hasn't impressed either.

It is a bit baffling why the defense has allowed so many goals so far - the faces are the same (Melia, Zusi-Opara-Besler-Sinovic) but the results have been strangely worse. Vermes hasn't acted concerned so we'll see if they can right the ship or if they are all heading down the downhill slope at the same time (all of them are 31 years old except Opara who is 29.)

Soaker888 repped this.
  20. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Won't be at the game, won't be at a tv... anyone watching from home and willing to post an occasional update (even better when accompanied by excessive opining), much appreciated.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The injury report on the league website lists them as OUT

22. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That depends . . . are we talking Quiznos or Subway? :D

23. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You keep being you MLS Live.

upload_2018-3-24_20-0-20.png

3th place SKC!

JasonMa and fortcollins repped this.
  24. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 Paranoid Coyote, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Nice...child soldiers presenting the colors pre-game! :rolleyes:
    child soldier.JPG

On the day that hundreds of thousands of kids marched against gun violence....

Rapid-Gooner, Soaker888 and JasonMa repped this.
  25. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Badjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!