P/I/P Home Fireworks Opener v Seattle

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Stuart95, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    They'll say, "eh, it was a Wednesday."

I think they also jacked up the prices too high.

2. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wynne has no idea what to do in the opponents half. Really don’t get why he still starts.
    Also this game showed.
    Badji> Mason> McBean > Boli

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any chance Howard wants to give coaching whirl? If we are on the hook for his salary, lets dump the pure garbage that Hudson is and get Howard off the field too, that was pure stupidity short kicking a ball to a player with his back turned to you.

4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Every U-8 coach (& on up) ever "Don't kick it in the middle." I realize professionals sometimes can ignore that but this wasn't on of those times. Sadly with this coach/team combo w/o that mistake it would have meant a hypothetical 1 - 1 draw at home on 7-4 against a sea level team.

5. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Anyone else getting sick of the Rapids constant aggressive fouls, many of which having no tactical advantage? I guess it allows the FO to say, "See, the team hasn't given up. We got five yellow cards in our last game." I remember Kansas City used to play this way...just beat people up. But they also showed some skill. It can be a style of play, but not the way the Rapids currently play it.

One other criticism now that I've slept on last night's game--the inability of the defense to pass the ball to the midfield, then to the forwards. The Rapids offense is back to the "over the top" pass to Badji. Actually, they also try long balls to Boli, but he never wins the ball. Frankly, I now find myself asking them to kick it to Castillo. Sometimes he overdribbles and loses possession, but the few good buildups generally go through him.

6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Common sight at the park for years: centerbacks pass up to a fullback hugging the touchline, he looks, sees the nearest teammate 30 yards away, passes it back to the centerback.

I noticed this a lot last night, and wondered what they expected to see.

I don't usually get there early enough to see all the warmups, but I did last night and noticed their little keep away games. The passing seemed a bit crisper than in past years. OTOH, it was your usual thing for the first couple passes but the goal was to get it in the middle then launch an over the top ball to the deep guy. They did that consistently. So it seems that's the drill and what they're trying to do on the attack?

7. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody tired of getting carded for beer when you’re obviously 30 yrs older than the carder? Done with the Rapids and their sucky team, mgmt and policies. Btw. Nice assist by Howard trying to be Courtois.

commercecity repped this.
  8. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, I'm flattered. BTW: it also happens at Red Rocks and other venues with event staff. I'd bet it is a company vice Rapids policy.

9. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know Jason. I'm a homer but it looked like a physical game but only one team was getting cards. Some of those cards were pretty soft as well and Lideiro looked like he was trying out for Uruguay's olympic diving team.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids played much more physical than the Sounders. Boli is earning the label hack.

11. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good:
    - The player's give a sh*t factor is high and they didn't stop fighting
    - Good, engaged crowd
    - Castillo
    - Cool give away for a change!
    - Nice to see C38 repping the Fire's Sector Latina

Bad:
    - Was Gashi's performance really MOTM worthy?
    - Azira isn't Price ... we needed him on the pitch
    - Good to have Ford back but he struggled a bit
    - Wynne is depriving a USL team of a bench player
    - I thought Geiger was still at the World Cup and not a large Greek man
    - No sell out for a Fourth of July game?

12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Agree, and generally this has been the case much of the season. They aren't losing due to a lack of desire.

What was it and how did I miss it?

I am not as down on Wynne as other posters, but in the first half my wife pointed out the Rapids were having much more success on the left rather than the right. I said this is due to Castillo being on the left. And this was before his assist.

I've stated this before, but the two best attacking wingbacks are Castillo and Nicholson.

He was all over the place. Many of his corners sucked, but a few were good. He was close on his trade mark bomb in the first half. On the Rapids goal he was playing deep and launched the ball forward. I too was surprised he was MOTM.

Is this a first since the Rapids have been at Dick's? Too expensive and the team is obviously struggling.

Andy126 repped this.
  13. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first 1,000 into the stadium got this cool fleece blanket that folds up into a small, integrated carrier. Very cool!

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    In the last several home matches the Rapids seem content to initially ceded possession to the opposition. After 20 minutes or so they get their act together a bit and start to create chances.

Last night we were conjecturing whether or not it was due to the quick turnaround from the Vancouver match. Remember the Rapids didn't return home until Tuesday afternoon.

Too often when the ball is advanced to midfield and then there is no option so it is passed back. It's amazing how little support there is for the player with the ball.

The first Flounder goal was the result of bad luck on the Rapids part. The second was the result of a really bad decision by Howard. No need to roll the ball to Gashi at the top of the box with the enemy lurking. That was a real disaster.

Both Gashi and Badji had opportunities to pull the Rapids level but just couldn't put the ball far enough away from Frei.

Andy126 and Sports Yak repped this.
  15. commercecity

commercecity Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Commerce City, CO
    This is happening way too often for me. Isn't this the only benefit of being old? I always laugh it off, say something like "good one" and hand them the credit card, it's worked so far.

No amount of beer can dull the pain of that 2nd goal, though, based on my own experiments. Just unbelievably dumb play from our top two pay earners, more blame on Howard than Gashi, but still. I'm pretty sure Price would've handled that scenario differently.

Bridgeman repped this.
  16. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I blame Howard 100%. Just an absolute bone-headed play. Seriously. I cursed for at least 15 minutes about it. Dammit. Now I am going to curse again for 15 minutes just thinking about it.

I thought Gashi had a fine game on offense. He showed why he is one of our better players. Would love to see him with Badji and <TBD> getting service.

Price holding down the dmid is fine by me. We are hurting every fourth game (3 yellows and a suspension is the plan for the rest of the season).

Thrown in Hairston/Castillo and the three CB's (Sjoberg should be one).

And dammit, I am pissed about Howard.

rod.

17. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I wave my hand, use the force, and say "you don't need to see my ID".

Now that the WC is winding down, ready to get back into the Rapids.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I dunno. I guess because I can watch them in person? A lot of soccer on TV during the world cup.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you play the Benny Hill soundtrack it does make it a bit more amusing on TV.

[​IMG]

Andy126, Stuart95, fortcollins and 4 others repped this.
  21. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    I truly cannot wait till some disgruntled Rapids fan puts together a double-speed video montage of the 2018 Hudson Rapids season highlights set to the Benny Hill theme song.

Hint hint.

AlbertCamus, Andy126, Rod1916 and 2 others repped this.
  22. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to be "that guy", but I am.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Yea - I went ballistic in the stands, yelling "idiot" numerous times while chucking my yellow card/roster card into the air. This didn't please my family or the people around me.

It took me a while to realize it was more Howard than Gashi. Regardless, the Rapids have developed an alarming propensity to gift goals this season. It's a major reason why they continue to struggle.

meanderingjeeper and Rod1916 repped this.
  24. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put that all on Howard, just a dumb pass even if Gashi retains it.

25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gashi had back turned when this started, he did what he could as his brain probably was screaming, "what moron would do this".

Andy126, Rod1916, spot and 1 other person repped this.