P/I/P Game 8: L.A. Galaxy vs NYRB, SATURDAY 4/28/18, 7:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Apr 22, 2018.

1. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    [​IMG]
    TV: Spectrum SportsNet, SpectrumDeportes​

generaladmissision18 and TrickHog repped this.
  2. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Ibra says, time to move on.

L.A. Native repped this.
  3. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ibra's leaving the Gs already? That was quick...

4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, our defense isn't great and our two forwards don't seem to be good pair for each other (Ola's a poacher and Ibra we want in the box cause he's amazing and can score any which way.) Tons of articles are being written about how our team construction isn't great. I was thinking that, defensively, the only game I actually recall feeling like we were solid was the Vancouver away game when we were missing everybody and played a 5-3-2. Couldn't that be an option for us with our current personel? I'm no tactical expert but what about this:

-------------------OLA----------IBRA------------------

------------------------------------------------------

-----------------JDS-------Lleget---------------

------------------------Kitchen--------------------

Cole-------------------------------------------Rolf
    -------------------------------------------------------
    -------------JS---Romeny---THA-------------

-----------------------Bingham--------------------

Pluses:
    3 in the back could be better from a solidity standpoint.
    Rolf less defensive responsibility
    Two strikers on field together
    Easier way to try rookie Stanford guy out and maybe ease out Steres

Negatives:
    Where would Allesandrini play? (maybe needs more time to heal anyway)
    No spot for Gio (a plus?)
    Maybe two strikers can't really play together regardless of formation

Thoughts?

5. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Assuming everyone is healthy, I'd like to see

------------Ibra---Ola--------------
    Lletget-------Gio-------Romain
    ---------------Jona-----------------
    Cole---JS---Steres/THA---RF
    -------------Bingham--------------

Jona can stay back and help on D. Gio can try to get going and when he doesn't, it should be glaring even to the FO that we need to offload him asap. They'll definitely hear it about it if we play this 11 and fail to score/win.

Imagine replacing GDS with a Giovinco/Almiron/even Vela. When I read Iniesta might've been interested in coming to MLS, I had a Pavlovian response.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  6. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same. Imagine him and Zlatan. I too would like it JDS stayed back while GDS tries to do something forward. We have no creativity between the midfielders and the strikers. It's failed attempt after failed attempt.

L.A. Native repped this.
  7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Jona really willing to protect our fragile defense and be a ball winner? That's a significant flaw in the proposed lineup. I don't see us having the ball in midfield enough to make having that attack pay off. That's my fear anyway.

Worth a go though.

I sort of think the best bet might be (and it's not entirely fair to Ola) is to:

--------------------------------------Ibra-------------------------------
    ---------------------------------Gio-------------------------------------
    -------Lleget-------------------------------------------------RA
    ----------------------------------Jona--------------------------------
    ------------------------------------Kitchen------------------------------
    -----------------------------Back 4 and GK---------------------------

I think we'd have the ball more but Gio really has to work hard and I'm not convinced we'll ever see that.

napper repped this.
  8. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    From what little we've seen so far of Jona getting more forward in the attack, maybe he has impressed with his composure but, not much production. I watched him a little at Villarreal before he signed. That was mostly on the wing but, he didn't look like a creator at all. I think many people would like him to get forward simply because he's an improvement over Gio. Kitchen is good but, If Jona had a defined role further back, I have no doubt he could handle it as well as Perry... if he's unwilling, ship him out with Gio.

This is the main problem. We need a #10 who does his job as a chance creator/distributor. '16 he was on the end of a lot of good service so he scored some but, I've yet to see anything to make me believe he can work as a #10.

We can't waste these next two seasons. We need a General on the pitch to guide our fine pieces into dangerous spaces/chances. Granted, we've only seen Gio a short time this year and still without everyone healthy but, Saturday I was having flashbacks to last year with our anemic offense. I kinda feel bad for Zlatan. He can do great things but, not without service.

It seems the pivotal choice the FO is facing is whether Gio or Sigi goes first.

9. soft tattooed millionaire

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 11, 2017
    This Just in...New ZLAine-up......
    newZLAine-up.jpg

MPNumber9 repped this.
  10. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Independently of any formation or tactical moves depending on rival characteristics its ultimately about the slop. Basic ball control skills seems absent on long stretches and that kills any chance at chemistry taking us to the next level. Everybody is trying but trying wont cut it. You have pass the ball, you have trap the the ball and you have to maintain ball possession consistently so the team can find that fourth gear and stay at that speed and be effective. Look at all the leaders, they all have that fourth gear as apparent with this past game. We have our fourth moments but then its slips right back to third and this is where all the turnovers happen because we become half a step slower than the rival. We have the talent, the conditioning and the speed but these guys have to work out that slop.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Soooo right back to last season with no right back on the roster? Rolf hasn't been wonderful but he's been way better then the dumpster fire that was right back last season.

12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per one of the other threads, Rolf also has been the team leader in chances created. I am not a stats nut, but it sounds like the loss may be more on the offensive side than I first thought.

So, Romney?

13. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Romney. The more natural RB replacement is that Klimenta guy we got from Sacramento but I think he has underwhelmed whenever I've seen him play.

14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rolf can't go, I'd seriously consider the 3-5-2 again. Something like:

---------zLAtan----------------oLA
    ------------------Alessandri
    Cole----------------------------------Lletget
    ---------------Kitchen------JDS
    ---Sjelfkdlfkdjf---Romney---Steres
    ---------------------Bingham

Then Gio for Alessandrini in the second half.

It at least gets our best players in positions where they can best help the team... Not the best spot for Lletget but he will at least give effort on defense and get up and down the field.

15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You misspelled Sjelfkdlfkdjf. It has another j in there somewhere.

16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea why I'm refusing to learn to spell his name.

Oh, wait, yes I do. I'm lazy.

Berks, The Beautiful Gamer and skydog repped this.
  17. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh for the days of the Back Line of Awesomeness
    Todd Dunivant, Omar Gonzalez, AJ Delagarza, Sean Franklin

We need to go shopping for defenders this Summer. We may even need to trade a couple guys for a legit starter at CB.

Sigh,....But yeah with Gio just coming back, his brother hurt and now Rolf hurt. We better play it safe and throw as much into the back as possible. I would be all for a 5 -3 - 2 or 5-3-1-1. I would like Kitchen to stay as far back as much as possible. The majority of the attack would come from wing service and Big Z would have to play the target Striker. Because he should command a double team, so it would be up to him to get pass to Ola and Lletget to score for us if he can't get a shot off. The million dollar question is who do you throw in at right back if Rolf is out? I got Husidic penciled in there because he has done it in the past, but if we have better alternatives I would rather we go with that. Sub Ola for Gio, and if he is ready, JDS for Kitchen in the 75 or 80th.

------------------------------- Zlatlan
    -------
    ----------------------------------Ola
    -------
    --Boateng------------------Lletget------------------Allesandrini
    -------
    ---Cole---------------------Kitchen----------------------Husidic
    -------------------Romney-----------Steres

How are we looking for yellow cards? Anybody sitting out this game thanks to the ref?

Geneva repped this.
  18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've lost to SKC, NYCFC and ATL -- literally the top 3 teams in the league (by Supporter's Shield standings). NYRB is a lot more average. We should hope to win this one.

I like TrickHog's 3-5-2. I can see why you wouldn't put Romain out wide in the formation but man...not sure about having him in the middle, either.

19. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Red Bulls are top tier but they are no Atlanta and with their target forward style more manageable. All we have to do is keep Wright-Phillips from scoring, lol. Yeah, I know but Chivas did it and at NY. It is why they are out of the CCL. Chicago did it last week thanks to Bastian cutting off service and just shadowing the guy. It can be done is the point. They have a semi dangerous guy in Rivas but thats it. Phillips has almost twice as many goals as the whole team combined. We stop WP and all we need to do is score. They even have a guy with a bad case of the Zardes Curse in Royer. This guy cannot buy a goal or assist to save his life.

rokstedy and TrickHog repped this.
  20. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have TWO Cup-Winning head coaches. One of these guys needs to do some coaching. I realize that we have no DeRo or GBS, but jeez, the cadre of Alessandrini, Lletget, Gio, Jona, and Kitchen should be able to get the ball into the box for Ola or Zlatan, no?

21. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the biggest challenge in playing the 3-5-2 is where to place Alessandrini. He’s definitely not a wingback and also not a good “10” for the middle.

22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We are pretty bad defensively so the 3-5-2 is not a good pick for me. We also have too many players we'd have to force into the XI to field a 3-5-2.

This is the only way I can see a 3 at the back formation working:

[​IMG]

But personally I think this is what we go for:

[​IMG]

Gio has done absolutely nothing to even put him in discussion for a starting spot. Lletget also hasn't been that great. I'd consider starting Boateng at LM over Lletget.

23. soft tattooed millionaire

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 11, 2017
    I had to read that twice then clutched my chest and fell to floor....
    ANYONE ELSE BESIDES That Mouth Breather Gio...i'd put in Sigi before Gio anyday..ok now i can breathe...lol

TrickHog repped this.
  24. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JDS confirmed out for Saturday per Sigi at practice today so....yeah.

Geneva, The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  25. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Rolf tore a bicep and is out a few months.

Hope this season doesn’t turn into 2017.