P/I/P Game 32: L.A. Galaxy vs RSL, SATURDAY 9/30/17, 7:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best takeaway from the night.

skydog repped this.
  2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando was huge. We created lots of chances. Hit the post and crossbar and Gio's shot saved off the line.

3. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no point discussing or hoping, right now we are awful I doubt we can fare well in a second division Scandinavian league!

4. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Los que perdonan pierden. Up a man, with lots of chances. Even VAR cannot stop the football Gods from exacting their revenge for uninspiring play.

TrickHog repped this.
  6. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh*

shelbo, The Beautiful Gamer and Berks repped this.
  7. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just got back from the game:

1. RSL is a real team. They never stopped running, never gave up belief. They were compact and looked dangerous the whole game. And that was with 10 men. We looked tired from minute 70, they did not. We should have hired Petke.

2. How can a team with both Dos Santos, Romain, JJ etc not close out a game with 5 minutes left while up a man for 80 minutes? Why were we trying to score every time down - pass the damn ball and hold possession!

3. We have no idea how to counter-attack. So much veteran and international experience, and we can't put in a decent through ball. I can't remember how many times plays died in mid-field.

3. Gio has to go. Out highest paid DP, a forward, has to score in that game. It's the difference between being a winner and a loser.

StillKickin, Berks, skydog and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    You know you’ve hit rock bottom when other coaches are doing the whole “they’re a great team, they’ll figure it out next season” thing.

shelbo, hav77, Berks and 2 others repped this.
  9. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Letting RSL steal a point sucks, but the truth is if the team played like yesterday all season they'd probably be in the same boat as RSL in the standings. I actually think the Galaxy weren't trying to hold on and win 1-0 a they didn't care about the win. I think they were trying to put a whole seasons worth of goals in and vent a seasons worth of frustrations. And they were close to pulling it off - but Jamiesion, Gio, and Alessandrini just didn't have their finishing boots on. I mean they didn't purposely give up a free kick and an equalizer and highlight the frailness of their back 5, but I don think think they were worried about it - not like RSL scrapping all night just hoping to eek out a point that might help them.

10. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    When I was watching the game I was trying to figure out how we were playing tactically and it seemed like the players were all over the place. I was trying to be generous and thought that maybe that we were trying to play "total football" with players interchanging on the fly. But now I think that that we didn't really have a plan and they were just running around without knowing what to do.

At this point, I don't really care if we win or lose but I want us to play with discipline. The players who are going to stay need to understand that we are building towards next year and next year we had better have a plan.

hav77, Berks, rokstedy and 2 others repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the boys played well and were unlucky to not win by 3 or more goals. They hit the posts twice and had one clearance off the line. I believe that LA will win 8 of 10 matches next year if they give the performance that they gave v RSL.

Beckerman last shot goal from a phantom foul called against Romain, edged Jones for overall MOTM (WS 8.44 > 8.36 and Audi Index 1043 > 943).

Jones was LA's MOTM and should have had 2 other assists, the aforementioned chip resulting in Ema's hitting the post and an even better one earlier to Gio. Diop at 7.6 and Gio 7.3 rounded out the Whoscored ratings.

We are starting to see what Sigi is trying to do. He wants to be solid in the middle, mix it up in attack with both combination passes and chips over the top and most important, keep Gio high up the pitch!

Dr.Phil repped this.
  12. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His appointment along with the ludicrous assertion about "searching the world" is probably the most obvious evidence of the rot. But it started well before him and looks like it will probably continue well after.

JPAR repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Couldn't win at home with a lead and a man up for 80 minutes (to be fair 10 v 10 if we don't count Gio). And we played about as well as these guys can individually. Tactically we got stretched out and left some massive open spaces in front of the back line in the last 20 minutes despite the score calling for compact spacing.

Our 0.91 ppg puts us in 22nd place out of 22. Even DC and lowly Minnesota are ahead of us.

hav77, JPAR, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  14. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't know if it was total football inspired, but I think your first assessment was correct - I guarantee Sigi wanted them to make a point of attacking over the top, and I think he wanted them to attack all game and told them as much at half time. Now if the execution was players just running around without knowing what to do, perhaps, that is the case. But I guarantee a team that has played its whole season like it had no idea how to attack and at least its last 10 games like it was terrified to get forward because its defense would get exposed, didn't just magically do it on on its own (without instruction from the coach).

73Bruin and The Cadaver repped this.
  15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I ended up going to the game with friends who had tickets through the Make A Wish foundation. And by far the highlight of the night was the little kid who sang the National Anthem. And did it better than any adult has all season long....

He was my player of the game...

(As an aside, the Make A Wish foundation does incredible work and I highly recommend you donate or volunteer if you are able)

StillKickin, JPAR, MPNumber9 and 2 others repped this.
  16. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #116 L.A. Native, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Throughout the match, I had to keep reminding myself we were up a man whenever I started to think we were playing a pretty good game. Couldn't believe Diop and Ciani got the start.

There were much more people there than I thought would be. Also, this is the first time I've been kicked out of our seats within like 10 minutes of the final whistle. I've stayed for much longer before so it must be a new thing after the ACB protest? Not very nice.

shelbo and Dr.Phil repped this.
  17. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlight Time Folks

2 More Games Folks. 2 More and It's Over!!!

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they wanted everyone out to start the conversion for today's Charger game.

Pretty amazing transition to Stub Hub in about 12 hours.

shelbo and L.A. Native repped this.
  19. soft tattooed millionaire

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 11, 2017
    Couldn't believe my eyes when I turned off my TV downstairs Winning 1-0 thru 93mins and Turn on my TV upstairs and we give up a goal to SideShow Bob in the 95th....

generaladmissision18 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  20. soft tattooed millionaire

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 11, 2017
    ...To Be More Accurately Fair... having Gio gives RSL the 11th man....

shelbo and skydog repped this.
  21. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that folks are negative about the season but the highlights clearly show that LA dominated this match.

LA 3:55. JDS with a chip wide left to Romain who shakes his marker and hits the crossbar.
    LA 10:32. Jones with a chip over the top to Gio leading to a 2 on zero break.
    LA 13:27. Jones intercepts and passes to Gio who with a nice turn creates the DOGSO red card.
    LA 40:00. Jones with a short dribble and through ball to BJIV for the goal!
    LA 54:06. Jones with a chip over the top to Ema who hits the crossbar.
    RSL 84:06. Plata drives hard wide right with a ball across the box, Diop a great save.
    LA 87:35. Garcia chip to Romain through ball to Gio, rounds keeper but shot cleared off the line.
    RSL 94:00. Phantom foul called on Romain. Diop saves great FK. Gio and others stand around giving Dreds room to roof the tying goal.

LA 5 Big Chances to RSL's 2.

22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We definitely dominated the match. The scary part was that even with our domination and being a man up I never really expected us to win. I hoped for the win, but this team has conditioned me to expect a letdown. In fact I still only thought it was 50-50 that we would win when we had the lead at minute 94 and RSL was taking a corner kick that I knew was going to be the last play of the game. And even that estimate may have been overly generous to LA. :(

shelbo repped this.
  23. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was so upset after that letdown. It's taken me until almost two days later to get in here and commiserate with my fellow Galaxy fans.

On the RSL scoring play, I was upset at how many Galaxy players were standing around instead of moving and responding to the rebound threat. Watching and hoping at that point is unacceptable. My main ire was directed at Jonathan dos Santos, but I don't believe he was the only culprit. RSL, on the other hand, wanted it. They had something to play for, true, but the lack of effort, man, I HATE IT.

SO, RSL had quite a few other chances that they miffed, and I hear those who say we could have had other goals, including the ones that hit parts of the goal frame, but RSL could have too. We are very weak on defense and JJ had to bail us out time and again. Diop had a good game for once.

On to next week, on to next season. We have had an epically bad experience this year. Bitter taste.

24. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We were UP a man for 75 minutes, at home! We should have dominated.

Reality is RSL created solid chances throughout the game and from about minute 75, we looked tired, RSL did not.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA was certainly tired. We played 5 matches from the 16th to the 30th including a match in the sauna in Houston 3 days earlier. RSL had a full week of rest.