PBP: P/I/P Game 27: LA Galaxy v. New York City FC, 8/23/2015 at 12:00 PM PST

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by hav77, Aug 19, 2015.

1. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the ratings would have been higher if the match was played at 4pm......and started on time with a proper lead-in. It will probably end up being over 600k when they include the spanish and international viewers.

2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    LA Galaxy vs LA Galaxy II?

Berks and The Cadaver repped this.
  3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I believe the game was also on ESPN Deportes in the USA, and I doubt that those numbers were lumped in with ESPN, but I couldn't find the ratings numbers.

4. lou czar

lou czar Member

Sep 26, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff but I have read the whole thread and still don't know who won the baseball game!

WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  5. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geneva repped this.
  7. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    shelbo repped this.
  8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    We're getting there. 5-10 years ago it was the first 11 might do okay. Now I think the 18 man game day roster could scrap. Once injuries and schedule congestion started to hit around January I think we'd fall off a cliff. I mean we're all here raving about a kid who couldn't even make it out of the West Ham reserves; sure there are politics and personality conflicts, but Lleget is a guy Allardyce could have called on when injuries hit. We have to call in Lassiter and Romney, both good players and a fair bit younger than Seba, but still totally different level of emergency reserve.

TrickHog repped this.
  9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Thanks, I think that's a fair analysis. I know I tend to focus on the starters and not pay enough attention to the season long depth. I have a feeling thats going to be a problem for a while or the MLS starts allowing teams to have more flexibility with HG players.

10. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yep, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Every single EPL club in 2014/15 got the following:
    • £22 million in Equal Share
    • £28 million in Overseas TV revenue
    • £4 million in Central Commercial
    Then there’s the disproportionate payments based on league position where even the worst team that season got an additional £10 million. That doesn’t include ticket revenue, merchandise, stadium sponsorship, kit sponsorship, tours, etc … So even the worst team in 2013/2014 received nearly $100 million from the league.

Pinch of salt here as the EPL doesn’t publish salaries the way the MLSPU does, but these are the wage bills for EPL clubs for 2013/2014. Aston Villa’s wages (£69/$106 million) could pay for the entire LA, NYC, TFC, Orlando & Seattle roster and still have enough money left over to pick up Ronaldo. Even the cheapest team Burnley could buy LA and Seattle’s entire roster with enough left over to buy most of SKC.

The positive to me is MLS is catching up to the EPL faster than the EPL is improving.

73Bruin and Ghosting repped this.
  11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Actually a more interesting theoretical to me, is how would the Galaxy organization do in the EPL with the resources allocated to EPL teams? Or what if you plopped LA in say the 1st of 2nd division, how long would it take them to make it the Premiership? How long would it take for them to get to the top half of the table, etc …

12. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be naive... but I think Arena could coach a championship team into the EPL given the resources. :)

13. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    The take away for me from this is that MLS is getting its players for a relative bargain (even DP's), while the EPL teams appear to be overpaying. Based upon your description, it appears that the entire MLS all star squad would be available for less than what AV is paying.

14. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    It would very interesting to watch since the Championship is closer to the MLS format with its promotion playoffs.

15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cadaver repped this.
  16. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of Europe is complaining about England's buying power ruining the transfer market. But of a systemic thing right now.