P/I/P Game 27: L.A. Galaxy @ Seattle, SUNDAY 9/10/17, 6pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Sep 4, 2017.

1. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang it! I wanted more.

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Hmmm. I'm not even mad. We didn't embarrass ourselves against a much improved Seattle.

The only bummer is Gio looks like he's going to be a $6m training cone. I'd rather have Gerrard at this point. Don't @ me

WarGalaxy, StillKickin, hav77 and 6 others repped this.
  3. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Any other season and I feel like that draw was a loss. This year? Not a win for sure, but it feels okay. Thought the team overall had one of the better performances of the year (low bar i know).

Sigi and Dom have made a difference.

Sigi >>>>> Onalfo
    JDS > Pedro
    Zardes now > Zardes of 3 weeks ago.

WarGalaxy, TrickHog, hav77 and 3 others repped this.
  4. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to feel some hope again. we didn't look overmatched and even though I would have been happy with a point before the match, having played much of the game up a goal, I felt like we really should have won.... against the top team in the conference.... away. Looks like the team is playing with a little more belief now.

WarGalaxy, luigi-55, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Amazing what better coaching can do over time. The team looks better every week. Results don't always reflect it but on field play does.

The Cadaver, MPNumber9, luigi-55 and 4 others repped this.
  7. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Jones looks like a whole new player under Sigi. JDS looks like he can be a real asset next season. JDS is slowly getting used to the league and getting confident. Too bad Gio is still anonymous even with a new manager. I wish we could get rid of Gio, but I think we're stuck with him especially since we have his brother.

hav77, Lazy Assed Assassin and kaburu repped this.
  8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much better. So much.

Even though playoffs aren't going to happen my heart was in my throat because I cared. Exactly due to the Dan Loney post. It's great to see this team have a ton of heart.

Much better movement, and much better ball protection. We were undone by 1 bad play. It happens.

1. Gyasi Zardes with another goal - good for him, and man is he looking like he has some confidence back. He only had 5 missed passes, and he also had some stellar hold up play.
    2. Romain Alessandrini = dreamy.
    3. Agree that Boateng could have used his speed more (though Alonso should have been red carded for the elbow to Boateng's head, and hopefully will be suspended by the disco).
    4. Jermaine Jones playing with discipline. Nice job veteran!
    5. Diallo had joy up the right with Romain. Bummer that it was undone by the goal.
    6. Jonathan Dos Santos has been great. His ability to keep the ball and stay calm under pressure has been excellent. Really really good stuff from him, and I'm looking forward to seeing him for a full season in 2018.
    7. Backline managed to hold their own for a majority of the game, so much so that Clint Dempsey spent the majority of it whining (which continues to not be a good look on him).

Finally:

Dear Giovani,
    You drive all of us Galaxy fans NUTS by keeping the ball too long and overdribbling. No the ref isn't going to give you the call for falling over, which you made even worse tonight by earning an absolutely stupid yellow card. Please stop playing hero ball and trying to go through 11 defenders. You have these things called teammates. Tonight you were by far the worst player on the pitch. Shape up or ship out.

Sincerely,
    Berks

P.S. Your brother is great by the way, we're happy to keep him.

9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait to see Lletget with JDS and Alessandrini.

WarGalaxy, wcmanes, luigi-55 and 4 others repped this.
  10. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If only Onalfo was sent packing earlier. It looks like we are starting to right this ship but, too late for this season, unfortunately. Although, its not over yet...

kaburu, luigi-55, ShortyMac and 2 others repped this.
  11. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    True, but Gio won't be providing much next week anyway against TFC.

kaburu and TrickHog repped this.
  12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunate result. I thought that was one of the best overall team performances of the year. We seemed so much more solid. Bodes well for next year.

hav77, MPNumber9, kaburu and 3 others repped this.
  13. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really bummed that we lost the lead, I really wanted the win - but overall it was a good effort. If this was the beginning of the season I would have some hope for the team coming together and making a go of it. Unfortunately, our season is effectively over and we're just winding down at this point.

I wasn't happy with the childish whining on the field from Alessandrini and Gio - and they obviously PO'd the ref. I'd really like to see more discipline from them. I'd like to blame Jones for his yellow and upcoming suspension, too, but I'm not sure what else he could do on that play. Not get beat, I suppose.

Add me to those delighted with Jonathan dos Santos - his ball control, movement and passing are great, and I hope it's just the tip of the iceberg as he gets used to the league and his teammates.

We really lack a playmaker still. None of our attackers are reliable in their final pass. The whole team is still a little off when it comes to combo play, but there were moments of goodness. Gio is MIA - I don't think he'll be a starter all next year if this continues. Gyasi had one of his best games, and looks so much better than before. Interesting what they were saying about Dom taking charge of the forwards and designed challenging drills like Gyasi had never seen before. I believe that Sigi is working on basic soccer touch, too, for Romney and Gyasi? I forget the details of that one.

Diallo is a bit of a cipher. He contributes on offense pretty well, and I like his physical presence, but he seems a liability on D. Cole did well. I didn't see who let Roman Torres loose on the right for his assist.

Speaking of Torres, why was that a red? Even if it was a foul - Chad Marshall was right there. I don't see how it was DOGSO.

Romney and Steres are hanging in there pretty well.

I wonder what changes we will see in the off season?

WarGalaxy, MPNumber9, kaburu and 3 others repped this.
  14. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty awesome that we're all still watching. Tell us a lot about the changes and the fact that we're looking forward to next year.

Sigi seems like he's making the right choices. Hell, even BJIV has looked better.

hav77, kaburu, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right - watching the games is not nearly as painful as it was. Even last year, with Arena, our performances were terribly boring.

I still miss Donovan so much, though. We don't have enough speed, and we don't have the assist-style passing. I'm hoping we can add some dynamism to this team next year. Alessandrini dribbling through 3 or 4 guys is fun for awhile, but it looks so accidental most of the time, and I'd like some combinations, please.

WarGalaxy, Berks, StillKickin and 3 others repped this.
  16. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'd love to see Lletget in Gio's role, but that likely will never happen.

WarGalaxy, skydog and hav77 repped this.
  17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hands-down the best performance and probably the best match of the season. Holy crap what an entertaining game this was. Great battles everywhere on the pitch and great coaching on display from both sides. We still seem haunted by injuries and suspensions, but lots of good takeaways from this one:

Alessandrini: What can you say? The dude was simply fantastic and Seattle simply didn't have an answer for him. He was unstoppable on the wing, which opened everything else up for us and set-up the goal. A terrific all-around performance.

Zardes: Got another goal, which is fantastic and also played with confidence all around the box. Nice tidy touches on Seattle's black top; held the ball up well, provided an outlet. Had a nice 1-2 with Gio that didn't quite a come off, but he's showing his confidence and ideas -- this is the Zardes we know and love. It sounds like a hot-take, but by end of season most will agree with me: he is much better running underneath and creating than Gio.

Boateng: Had a terrific game on both sides of the ball. People get on Boateng for his crossing but I think that's probably a little overblown. He's a very good decision-maker in the final third for his age.

Is it possible Schmeltzer targeted the predictable Boateng sub to push Roman Torres up as an extra attacker? Even under the best circumstances a run like that can create confusion between the LM and LB as to who should pick up the extra man, but in this case Zardes had just swapped to that position from forward. Maybe Torres himself recognized the opportunity and pushed up; he's a very smart player.

Gio & Jona: Jona Dos Santos had a miraculous 14 recoveries in this match. Unfortunately, most of the other stuff he does well doesn't necessarily show on the stat sheet, but his ability to get on the ball, break the press and find an outlet really makes us an entirely different and formidable team. He was the key to us being so dominant in this match and had the great drive leading to the goal.

Gio contributed to team defensive and helped knit the field together, but I think most of us would agree he probably had an underwhelming performance offensively.

Jones: When Jones plays like this, I wish we could have him in this form for another year. He played well everywhere on the pitch but I love the mental game he put on Dempsey and how he sold the DOGSO (I don't think there's much in it, but Jones forces the contact and Torres doesn't help himself by bringing his arm up across Jones' back for some unknown reason, which looked exactly like the pull-downs Dempsey and Jones exchanged earlier). Just the right amount of nasty for a match like this.

Sigi & Dom: So, some specific themes I noticed in this match:

-The team press/swarm reminded me of 2014. We consistently won 2nd balls and bedeviled players like Alonso, Roldan and Dempsey who stabilize the midfield for Seattle. Every time the ball was poked away, Jona was on it to start the transition.

-I was really amazed at how consistently Galaxy players were able to make an outlet pass out of the back under pressure.

-After Gyasi's goal, I counted at least two opportunities when we could've dumped a cross in but instead passed it back, eventually all the way to Rowe, who booted it into Seattle's half, where we usually won the 2nd ball again. Part of the plan?

Anyway, good match!

18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the one thing that I found surprising:

6 minutes of extra time and we didn't give up the 2nd goal.

WarGalaxy, shelbo, napper and 9 others repped this.
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone catch the sideline reporting talking about Dom Kinnear's immediate impact on Zardes? Apparently the new division of labor these past two weeks is Sigi has been working with the defense and Dom has been working exclusively with the forwards. Zardes told the reporter that what has changed is that Dom likes "game-condition" drills much more than the typical static drills we all know and hate from our playing days.... Maybe it isn't just coincidence that Zardes catches fire and we score 4 goals in 2 games with him as assistant coach, after going 300+ minutes scoreless....

WarGalaxy, The Cadaver, napper and 9 others repped this.
  20. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's why I'm optimistic more than ever that Sigi and Dom can get something out of Gio. They've flipped Zardes and JJ. Gio should be next on that list. If we can get the Gio of the Mexican National Team.. well, we'll still miss the playoffs, but next year! Next year will be fun.

WarGalaxy, Berks and rokstedy repped this.
  21. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can address the deficiencies in the roster, then it really seems like the big question mark for next season is Gio, isn't it?

napper, Berks and The Cadaver repped this.
  22. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What I liked about the goal was that everyone was doing the things we pay them for. JDS moving the ball around. Alessandrini doing something creative. Zardes finishing.

It's only two games, but if Zardes can get it together, it makes our offseason a whole lot easier.

WarGalaxy, rokstedy and TrickHog repped this.
  23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sure would be nice if we could focus on getting the defense sorted out first.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  24. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Dom's demeanor with the guys, too. Seems like a real "player's" coach.

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the Kinnear pick up will be a good signing. Although my all time favorite Kinnear moment was when Herc Gomez yelled at him "See you next year in Houston!" in the waning moments of our 2005 playoff win over San Jose that literally knocked them out of the league for a while.....

WarGalaxy, rokstedy, hav77 and 2 others repped this.