P/I/P Game 25: Seattle Sounders @ LA Galaxy, Sun. 8/9/2015 @ 1pm PDT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Ghosting, Berks, napper and 3 others repped this.
  2. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw Kirovski sitting there with him. Wonder if he'll try to bring him to Miami when the time comes. Wonder if Kirovski, the So Cal family man, will be interested?

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Perhaps we have a different interpretation of “legs”. I took it to mean a guy who was going to jog the entire game because he can’t run at full tilt.

4. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I actually used Omar as an example for my son during the game of what not to do. Omar goes forward without a plan. That would be OK if he developed one quickly, but he goes forward, has a brain freeze about what to do, and then panics. It's the worst combination of impatience, indecision, and lack of ball skill. It's like when you are learning a new skill and you think too much. In this case, Omar's new skill is passing out of the back. This is why he's better at emergency defending. He's doesn't have to think as much.

Beirut and Berks repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree to an extent but I don't think its cut and dried (AJ good for run of play, Leo good for set pieces). Height and size help when defending set pieces but so do quickness to the ball, awareness, and technical skills. I remember many times when AJ has saved our butt on a set piece by clearing the ball off the line or being the first one to get to and clear a goalie spill, a teammate's misclearance or a rebound off a shot or a 2nd or 3rd ball that is chaotically pinging around in the box.

Without Omar on the field then clearly AJ's lack of size is a significant issue. But with Omar patrolling the air space I'll still take AJ over Leo, even on a set piece.

LEM-LAG, pastor, The Cadaver and 2 others repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah his indecision is a bit weird. And it really isn't like he is that new to this distribution thing - he's been working on it for years now.

Omar in this situation reminds me of Rogers taking a throw in (until recently - he's improved). Rogers would just stand there looking totally perplexed and then after 10 or 15 seconds just finally give up and throw the ball long, usually resulting in a turnover.

socluis90 repped this.
  7. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great quick interview. It will be sad when Miami is a go and Beckham won't be at the games. I just wish the team would carve out an ownership stake for him (and even Landon) within the Galaxy. I know AEG sold a minority share in the Dynamo to Oscar Dela Hoya, so there is a precedent.

8. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but when AJ was attacking more it opened up space for our attackers much MUCH more and it was a big part in why we were better in the 2nd half.

I actually like this lineup but Zardes and Lletget might not cover very much and a big part of a 3 man backline is your midfielders cover outwide.

I do think a big thing we need is a quality CDM sitting in front of our back 4 to truly turn this team into a force. Husidic might be that guy which means Bruce has to make some tough decision on who to bench.

Wouldn't mind seeing
    Code:
    --Lletget--------------Keane---------------dos Santos--
    ---------------Juninho---------Gerrard------------------
    ------------------------Husidic----------------------------
    Rogers--------Leo-------------Omar------------------AJ
    -------------------------Rowe------------------------------ 
    This to me has FAR better balance than what we have now. Perhaps Bruce went super attacking bc he knew the Sounders weren't good enough but against Dallas I worry. Sucks to put Zardes on bench but he can come on later and add some serious pace to games. these kind of hard decisions are a huge sign that MLS is growing :)

esco300 and Geneva repped this.
  9. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Snowshoes Gordon.

The Cadaver repped this.
  10. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think Becks wants his own team, but I 100% agree with you. I wish he would become an owner with LA and Landon would be part of the coaching staff. Hell I wish Becks was part of coaching staff too, I think both would be great for us and reminds me a bit of Giggsy at United now :D

11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's true but its not just our outside backs going forward that has been exposing us recently. Our opponents have been finding enormous time and space in the area right in front of backline. The quick goal SEA scored against was an example. Friberg had all kinds of time and space right in front of the back four to get his head up and make the perfect centering pass that led to the goal. The problem was Lletget didn't drop back to help clog this area, Juninho came out very wide to go for a tackle he missed, and Gerrard dropped too far back into the box. This left a big open space for Friberg to work in.

And this has been happening a lot. And its worse on the road. When we lose the ball our outside mids Lletget and Zardes need to drop back and somewhat central to help protect the defense, forming two connected banks of four for our opponents to have to get through. (This would also help negate the problem of Gerrard not being able to match the one on one speed of some of the forwards we will face.) Too often both of our outside mids (especially Lletget) try to play defense by chasing from behind which is ineffective and often results in a foul and yet another set piece opportunity for our opponents. They need to concentrate on getting back into position on the inside, between their man and the goal.

Berks and pastor repped this.
  12. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I wasn't at the game, so I could only see what the camera showed, but I saw a guy who walked most of the game and then made some gut busting runs forward, kind of Pirlo like. My concern about Gerrard has always been that the other team would just run right past him, like we saw in one of his last games in the EPL against Aston Villa. I've seen nothing to change that.

It seems all of these lineup changes that are being suggested are needed because Gerrard doesn't play effective defense. And if I had to pick between starting Gyasi (who IMO had perhaps his best overall game as a midfielder) and Gerrard, there is no question in my mind, the Galaxy should start Zardes.

13. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping that our sample size is too small due to coming into the team and getting game fitness, playing at altitude, and in pretty decent heat. I don't think he'll get a TON better at this, but any improvement will help the overall D.

Berks and phoenixhazard repped this.
  14. OC Galaxy Fans

Jul 30, 2009
    Placentia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our perception bias usually impacts our opinions, so it was interesting to talk to a group of Leeds Utd fans after the game. They were high on Gio and Keane (Leeds was his boyhood club), and thought Ricketts was very shaky. They described Gerrard as useless, disinterested, and "I can't believe anyone pays $6m for that!" They also complimented RR for showing better here since he "stunk-it-up" at Leeds.

My wife made the mistake of telling them she's a MUFC fan, and that almost didn't end well. Fortunately they were good spirited about it.

TrickHog, 73Bruin and Geneva repped this.
  15. RafaDaGafa

RafaDaGafa Member

Sep 28, 2007
    They're Leeds fans... that's all you need to know.

Sort of joking obviously, but clearly you were unfortunate to converse with a bunch of MORONS who obviously don't understand the game. Whether Gerrard was MOTM I admit is up for debate, but at the absolute least, Stevie was one of the top five players on the pitch. Everyone can admit that. So...

"USELESS"???

Sad that these sort of people, with no perspective or objectivity, laughably call themselves football fans. You can bet if SG had ever played for Leeds it would be a different story. Clueless so-called fans.

16. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you aren't biased at all, right? ;)

rokstedy, Berks, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  17. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to call Gerrard disinterested and useless is a bit much...

Perhaps they were mixing him up with the entire Sounders team?

ragbone, Beakmon FC, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  18. RafaDaGafa

RafaDaGafa Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Ha! I knew someone would come back with that. :)

Actually, I'm not. I believe in absolute objectivity and I try to live like that in everyday life. I analyse all angles and believe in empathy and understanding with regards where people are coming from (Hence why you'll see my posts are nothing but civil). Which is why, as I've said before, I think Gerrard has had bad games where he lacked match fitness. Where he looked tired and even gassed during the first half and suffered during the heat.

But this wasn't one of those times. I genuinely believe, putting aside all bias, that MOTM was between Gerrard and Keane (Lletget would have been an absolute lock if he played the same in the second half as he did in the first. Juninho wasn't far off either. If Gio hadn't scored, his would have been an average performance). I gave it to Gerrard narrowly because of how he controlled and ran the midfield in the second half particularly.

Describing his performance as "useless" is that typical nonsense you get from plastic fans. I just watched Man City vs West Brom. Not a big fan of Sterling being a Liverpool fan, but thought he had an okay game. That's because I can put aside all other outside factors and objectively call the game.

Something these Leeds Fans seemed incapable of. Hence MORONS. :)

TrickHog repped this.
  19. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, first, I think Leeds fans are total munters in general.

Second, but see, that's the thiiiiinnnggg about bias. You don't think it's there. The nature of bias is you CAN'T see it. So when you say you're unbiased and objective......=)

I don't agree that Gerrard was terrible. He wasn't. He was pretty good. But on the other hand, you can see someone watching the game and saying "He's 6 million?" Because for that, you generally want someone (at least in this league) who looks like the best player on the pitch. He's working in. He'll get better. We still have some concerns. =)

rokstedy, Berks, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  20. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ True

Or as Robbie Burns would put it:

O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!

And I won't even make the available cheap joke about the name of that poem being, "To a Louse."

Ghosting, TheLostUniversity and jmaestro repped this.
  21. RafaDaGafa

RafaDaGafa Member

Sep 28, 2007

Good answer. That said, I think it is possible to isolate and objectively withhold our own bias. It's just a case of empathetically looking at a situation from all angles.

If there really was no way to look beyond our own bias, then there'd be no objectivity at all. And then we may as well send this rock of ours spinning off into a dark, deep-space oblivion and forget it ever happened.

Or watch Leeds Utd play. Whichever's worse.

galaxydeadhead, TrickHog and jmaestro repped this.
  22. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, your post really made me laugh. Well done. =)

On a philosophical level, I agree, empathy and trying to see others' points of view is the only way to overcome bias. Absolutely. But, on the other hand, the self-correction of views method doesn't always work. It's a bit like having a bad slice on the golf course. (Not that I would know anything about that. :whistling:) You figure how much you're going to slice in advance, you self-correct, and....sometimes it works. Other times you're too little or too much, because it's not a true straight shot, it's a correction of something that you can't actually see and you're doing a little bit of educated guessing about.

This is why when people talk about an "unbiased news source" it always makes me smirk and laugh because there truly is no such thing ever and never has been and never will be. You can't report everything about any given situation and both unintentional and intentional bias come into play for every single news-writing decision ever made.

So yes, our own perceptions are never 100% objective, and there is no measurement of objectivity on which to hang the world. The best we can do is a general consensus that incorporates enough viewpoints to hopefully be true, and even then, crowds are often wrong.

Ah heck's bells, we're all going to end up watching Leeds v. Millwall, aren't we?

RafaDaGafa repped this.
  23. RafaDaGafa

RafaDaGafa Member

Sep 28, 2007
    I'll stick to UFC. Less punching.

rokstedy and jmaestro repped this.
  24. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    … and then there’s Jozy. Actually I’d say most of the $6 million men are overpaid and rarely the best player on the pitch. Giovinco, Kaka, maybe dos Santos in time, but I’d take $4million Robbie over every single one.

I’m content with Gerrard, he’s got a goal and two assists* in 4 games which is the similar to Keane-o’s 2 goals one assist in 4 games when he joined LA in 2011. He’s not looked out of place, or the geezer some suggested he was despite playing 2, arguably 3 of his 4 games in “MLS conditions” and there are glimpses of quality that one could reasonably expect will become more frequent as everyone gets on the same page. This was, after all, the first game LA has played with its starting 11 in 2015.

* and really Gordo’s goal in Colorado was all Stevie.

25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF? Are they kidding?

xulman repped this.