P/I/P Game 25: FCD @ L.A. Galaxy, WEDNESDAY 8/14/19, 7:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Aug 12, 2019.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Arajo at rb, Romney at lb and two of Steres/Polenta/Gonzalez at cb and let's be done with it.

JPAR, hav77, Beirut and 3 others repped this.
  2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sklefjviesaf is such a liability. I cannot believe that he is the highest paid defender.
    I agree, our backline needs to have some steadiness to it. Its time to play Araujo and Romney there full time

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really needed that win. That said, I still don't see a team that gets a home playoff game, but at least that win gives us more time to figure things out and see if we can get to that level.

One think I liked about Pavon is that he tracked back and get stuck in on tackles. I had read that about him but it was nice to see it in person.

4. Rohaun888

Rohaun888 Member

Club: Los Angeles Galaxy
    Aug 2, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night as I watched the game I realized the reason why we play so much ball control is ... because our transition game is horrible on Offense and Defense and GBS knows this. Pavon needs to get the confidence to demand the ball and lead the offense because he makes good decisions and gets other players involved. Favio and Pavon seem to work well together and just need time to become a a serious threat. Also as I read from alot of Boca fans Pavon plays Defense and always battles for balls im hoping that`ll become infectious and spread thru the team because thats what we need is for these guys to battle and not just be spectators as we often see them just standing around and find themselves out of position or lost in transition. You guys need to chill with Zlatan hes had a few bad game and hes clearly been frustrated but "Hes the guy" without him we`d be earning another Wooden Spoon lol....ok late breakfast time :)
    Btw good article on lack of penalties called for Ibra..

https://sports.yahoo.com/apos-other-players-don-apos-170801027.html

5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Exactly- we need the consistency. Araujo is not the most technical player but he is a scrappy hustler who tackles well and plays aggressively at both ends of the field. Romney's weakness is that he isn't the quickest - but he compensates for it with his ability to read the game, his consistency, his size and his strong aerial game. Most importantly Araujo and Romney provide defense-first mentalities, something this team needs at this point. Build from the back, like Bruce did in his best years.

Easier way to visualize Araujo's and Romney's games? Picture Feltscher and Skjlkok -- and then think the opposite.

LEM-LAG, JPAR, TrickHog and 7 others repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can regain his fitness in time, I would be very interested to see this as we approach the playoffs (hopefully):

--------------------Zlatan
    Pavon---------F.Alvarez--------Alessandrini
    ----------Lletget---------Dos Santos
    Polenta---Gonzalez---Steres---Araujo
    --------------------Bingham

7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :oops::whistling:

hav77, skydog, okifeelthat and 4 others repped this.
  8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoohoo!!! (And that’s my analysis. Too tired for anything else).

9. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We'll see Saturday :)

Geneva and TrickHog repped this.
  10. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Am I alone in not quite getting the reaction to Pavon's performance?

He was decent in spells and his tracking back was nice but I didn't see anything that merits some of the "Whoa! He's gonna tear up this league!" sentiment I'm that I'm seeing all over the place?

FlapJack and skydog repped this.
  11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our offense has been so dire that a good player who creates 2 goals in a game is seen as magical...

12. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are underestimating him greatly. He was our best player, which is pretty darn good for his second game.

13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And that folks is the rational, thorough and even-handed Berk's post-game analyses we've learned to love. ;)

Berks and TrickHog repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #214 skydog, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    I think he is showing exactly what would be expected given his resume over the past few seasons. He is more athletic than any of midfielders not named Jonathan, is an excellent but somewhat predictable dribbler, and has a strong but inconsistent shot. Offensively I would expect him to average something like the .25g and 0.4a per game? That's not near Ibra levels (0.9g+.3a/gm over two seasons) but it would add up but over a 34 game season that would be 8 or 9 goals and 14 assists. Twenty-plus g+a from a winger in this league is pretty damn valuable. Plus he's just beginning his prime at age 23 which should help our midfield energy and mobility.

But he isn't an Ibra replacement - we still need a top quality striker (and a 2nd striker as well) for next season.