P/I/P Game 12: L.A. Galaxy @ San Jose, SATURDAY 5/27/17, 7pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, May 23, 2017.

1. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I tried this a few times and the radio was always way behind the TV broadcast. How was it over the internet?

The Cadaver repped this.
  2. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gio and Romain doing their best Beckham to Magee impression lol

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same experience using Sirius XM. Drove me nuts. Finally went with the Spanish OTA

4. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Better Garcia than Pedro. He actually plays defense vs walking around. In the 13th minute, SJ was on the counter and the referee beat Pedro running back.

generaladmissision18 repped this.
  5. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So while rewatching JVD repping the Gs five cups to Ureja, just noticed that the 2nd reincarnation of SJ has two stars over it's crest. Didn't really think they still thought of themselves as the original Quakes.

Geneva repped this.
  6. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Was part of the deal when Garbed sanctioned the move. Quakes kept everything associated with the brand. It's why Houston are 2 time MLS Cup Champions.

Speaking of the Quakes and weird legacies, anyone else find it funny old coaching heroes return to San Jose to ruin their legacy? First Yallop, now Kinnear.

7. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Onalfo hopefully does the right thing when Jones is healed. Jones is just too good of a player, any team is better when Jones is in the lineup, are just two examples of things he could say before he lets the media know that Jones isn't yet 90 minutes fit and will be seeing reduced minutes.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  8. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, man. I don't think I've seen the team this motivated since 2014. They're not necessarily playing WELL all the time, but the level of commitment just seems so high it almost doesn't matter. I don't see how they can keep up this momentum / energy -- OTOH, this team is primed to become a powerhouse when a lot of players get back. Craaaaazy stuff. Late Kneejerks:

Gio: MOTM for me. Beautiful finish on the 2nd goal, but also roamed around, created chances and was crucial in controlling the midfield for his team like an old school 10. One of his best performances in a Galaxy shirt for me.

Romain: There really isn't a lot to hate on about his game. Plays with grace and aggression. After watching failed counter attempts all night, his assist on Gio's goal was even more spectacular (not that it needed help). Also dazzles with his ability to bring the ball down seemingly on the tip of his boot. Great player to watch who bleeds for the team. Becoming a favorite for me.

Rafa: Rose to the occasion again, similar to his big performance against Orlando last season. He really steps up when called (at CM anyway).

Zardes: Still struggling with his back to goal game, but had some positive moments worth building on, I thought, especially after moving to the wing. I think Zardes is more of second striker than a true CF, and he's on an island when Gio goes roaming and we don't really put crosses in for him either -- I think I counted two crosses the whole match when Zardes actually got in the box. I think we'll target a true 9 and play Zardes as a mid/attacking mid in the long-term. Anyone who was itching to see if Jack Mac would be an improvement got to see what that looks like, too.

Cole: Was about as much a difference-maker as a LB can be in a match.

Onalfo: Gets an A for me. He has the team more motivated than I've seen in awhile. Players are playing above themselves, which is crucial to staying afloat with so many key injuries. Also thought he got the subs right (though I'd keep Alessandrini right and play Zardes left). And of course, steals 3 points from a rival at home. Pretty darn good.

StillKickin, Berks, Beakmon FC and 10 others repped this.
  9. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha, that was me... and after he came in, I thought the same thing: I'd rather see Zardes out there.

Berks repped this.
  10. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not 100% sure what you meant by this, but Cole was clearly responsible for leaving Wondoloswki totally unmarked on the first goal....

Berks, skydog and MPNumber9 repped this.
  11. TruffleShuffle

Dec 7, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd say that did, in fact, make a difference... :cool:

profiled repped this.
  12. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I returned from a camping trip in Big Bear mountain with no internet cell service, which was freaking awesome, and forgot about this game. I just saw the highlights and am very pleased with the G's win over a team I really hate. Thank you LA for ending my 3 day weekend on a great note.

Beakmon FC, Geneva and TrickHog repped this.
  13. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with most all your points, except Rafa. He has not really ever risen to the occasion this season. Rather, he has turned over possession and gotten burned left and right, directly leading to goals against. I highly doubt he will appear in the starting lineup much at all going forward. Such an obvious weak link to my eye.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  14. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That first goal was all on Rafa in my book. Cole could be forgiven for being stunned witnessing such horrible play by Rafa that led to the cross.

15. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlight Time Folks

We are looking better going forward but we are still suspect in the back.
    Zardes looked okay this game. He didn't get any service and completed almost every pass successfully. Still got to get forward more though. Romain is everything I wanted out of Gerrard. He has does Beckham and Marcelo Sarvas proud. Nice to see Gio live up to his paycheck as well as of late. We are getting better and more confident. Keep it up G's!! On to the next fight.

Berks, ragbone, rokstedy and 5 others repped this.
  16. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote of the year

skydog, ragbone and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but he also set up the first tying goal. So maybe he wasn't a difference-maker, since he caused us to go from being tied at zero to tied at one. :p

I remember he had some key defensive interventions, tho.

profiled repped this.
  18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, he's not starter quality. But considering how low we are in the depth chart, I think he put in a respectable shift in a 4-2 victory away to rival.

TrickHog repped this.
  19. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah he did well for sure, and his steal/push forward for the 4th goal was definitely a great play.

But like you said both plays were difference makers, just one good, one not so much ;)

MPNumber9 repped this.
  20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha ha. I just saw my post on the prior page while going back through the thread. I was out of the country and watched the condensed version of the game at 1 a.m. Then I tried to read through this thread at 2 a.m. and kept falling asleep. I don't even remember quoting Berks and Skydog's posts and accidentally hitting "post reply" without actually writing anything. I was sleep-posting....

As to the game itself, this new bizarro Galaxy team has me unsure what to post. Except that I sure enjoy winning more than losing....

StillKickin, rtdavide, Berks and 8 others repped this.
  21. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would try out some of the young guys like Mendiola or Villareal, even though they are more known for being offensive minded midfielders. Mabye even McBean. Can't possibly be much worse than Rafa. Well, I guess they COULD be.
    We really are short handed at the defensive half of the field these days, wow.:eek:

22. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps the Galaxy should bring in Aguilar or Fujii from G2, or some other player. Per MLS rules I just checked, the Galaxy should be able to free up roster spots and cap salary for Disabled List (Lletget) and Season-Ending Injury (Rogers). I hope they are looking around at options to bring in a new player or two that can play.

23. TruffleShuffle

Dec 7, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i respect the effort rafa brings, but he seems to have a ceiling below what we need. unfortunately, barring a pretty drastic formation change, he's the best option right now. while on an actual winning streak, i have no idea why Curt would entertain the idea of giving some unproven G2 guys a shot in a position they don't play.
    the guys mentioned... none of them even look good defensively at the USL level.

24. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, Garcia may run around, but play defense? Not much. He tries hard, but he is consistently a bit late and a few inches short of stopping a play.

25. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Garcia looks horrible on defense and offers nothing on offense. Can't get much worse. So I suppose we can hope he gets better after more game experience.