P/I/P Game 10: L.A. Galaxy @ FCD, SATURDAY 5/12/18, 12:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, May 5, 2018.

1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If he can't get amped for representing his country on the grandest stage because his brother isn't there, then he can kiss his career goodbye.

Neither he nor Gio - for all their promise - are good enough to be shipped around as a package. Honestly, I suspect having a parent as an agent doesn't help. I get the feeling that they have been coddled throughout their career. Let's face it: they've gone from place to place with inconsistent and/or underwhelming results and they aren't kids anymore. Yet based on their attitudes with the Galaxy (best illustrated by JDS's "late withdrawal" the other week) they seem pretty entitled, and reluctant to bear any responsibility for any of that.

Dawdler, mbar, rokstedy and 4 others repped this.
  2. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would go against their "Si se puede" mantra. It's very damning to show "pocos huevos cabrones", but this should serve as a lesson to the FO. Stop trying to get a certain section of the population to attend matches simply based on their ethnic preference. Get good footballers no matter what corner of the earth they come from if they can play we want them. This gimmick to get certain part of the Latino population to come has proven ludacris.

3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In fact, I know members of the Latino population that bought tickets - even season tickets - due to Gio coming over, but after witnessing the team last season, they no longer regularly attend.

Ditto Liverpool fans that came for Gerrard.

I think it actually hurts the team and the league when they do this, because it gets eyeballs that then see a terrible product and are ultimately put off as a result.

You might recall that I was skeptical that we were after Zlatan as our roster moves didn't seem to allow for a further attacking player.

It seems very likely that the moves made during the closed season were Sigi and Kinnear's, while Zlatan was Klein and Kirovski.

You may also recall me saying that Zlatan is most effective as the goalscorer, not the playmaker and the further he gets from goal, the more of a liability his high-risk/high-reward style of play becomes.

4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Kitchen get pulled because he was just bad?

I think a Lletget / Jona duo in midfield, playing two ball-playing CMs, could be an interesting look.

The Beautiful Gamer and JPAR repped this.
  5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wouldn't that make us even more limited defensively?

6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the face, yeah. OTOH, if you play two guys that rarely lose the ball in their own half, maybe it puts less pressure on the D. Grasping at those straws.

7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean it could actually get worse!?

100fyers and barroldinho repped this.
  8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kitchen's not providing much defense today, so hell, it would probably be an upgrade.

JDS has been doing a log of unsung work for us in the middle after looking at his boxscore week after week.

shelbo, Skevin, El Futbolisimo and 4 others repped this.
  9. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Kitchen played well during preseason and even did well during our opener against Portland.

He's been terrible since then.

One of the things that has hurt our team is turnovers and he's a huge culprit. Terrible passing. He's not a starter. Just play Carrassco.

hav77 repped this.
  10. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the weird thing though. He was an MLS starter before he went to Scotland. He was a finalist for rookie of the year, was DC United's MVP, was on the fringes of the national team...

I personally thought he'd be a good pick-up when we got him. I don't know what's made the difference.

TrickHog, Beirut, rokstedy and 2 others repped this.
  11. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #186 The Beautiful Gamer, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    We got to try something. On paper this could be similar to the pairing of Juninho and Beckham or Juninho and Sarvas. The key is that out wide our best guys are Boateng and Allesandrini and both are huge defensive liabilities. So we can't afford to play them both at the same time.

What our midfield needs is another new Mike Magee type. Somebody we can put out wide on either side who can play defense and is solid going forward as well. Such a guy would allow for the defensive weakness that would be brought by Romaine and Ema to be tolerable.

So in the transfer window we need a true utility midfielder(a mike magee/donovan type), a true utility fullback(an A.J. DeLegarza type) and a dependable centerback(an Omar type would be best but a Kofi Opare type if possible). If we can move Gio then we can maybe get a goalkeeper too.

rokstedy and MPNumber9 repped this.
  12. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Both Gio and Jona got named today on Osorios provisionary list for the WC.

WarGalaxy and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  13. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some how this doesnt make ME feel better, if they go and have a good tournament and come back to the club and start with the mysterious injuries then I want them gone pronto!

14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    996476341590601729 is not a valid tweet id

New away game chant

We may suck but we're the only reason your fans show up