P/I/P: Crew at Revs, 8/20

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Aug 16, 2016.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what happened to that JoGo that dominated the league in his first year? Why is Teal still starting? Farrell was an all-star? What happened to the Woodbury that made us all think he would be a solid defender? Where o where has Lee gone? Honestly Kofie could not hold Shalrie's jock strap. He does not impress me at all

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the keepers name is Brad as well

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap, I hate that I was right. The whole point of that was for my inner NNN to be wrong and reverse the recent crap form.

Revs in 2010 and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  5. fundip

fundip Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Lee is where offense goes to die.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a depressing team to watch right now. It's even more depressing that they seem to be kind ok with how depressing they are.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torment of man." - Nietzsche

He clearly was talking about revs fans. ;)

8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know this as fans. The FO should figure it out in a few more years.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly the Revs were better with two forwards. That said Jay will not change things up next game

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    last 4 games, 2 goals for 13 against. that is stuff that gets coaches fired.....not in new england

RevsLiverpool and pwykes repped this.
  11. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #37 Brian in Boston, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    No shit, Captain Obvious. Tell us something we don't know.

You may be "frustrated". Supporters of this franchise - at least those with half a brain - are f**king irate over the melange of indifference, incompetence, and excuse-making repeatedly on display amongst the members of the Revolution's ownership and front-office "brain-trust".

Don't be so f**king presumptuous. Most of the Revolution fan-base would "support" you, Mike Burns, and Jay Heaps being handed your walking-papers immediately, to say nothing of the franchise being sold to a new investor-operator within a comparable time-frame.

Then maybe the "boys" should turn in an effort deserving of support. An effort more befitting men. Specifically, men who are financially compensated quite handsomely for playing a game. Because another effort like those we've seen of late and this team is only likely to garner the support of visiting Colorado Rapids fans on September 3rd.

ToMhIlL, patfan1, pwykes and 1 other person repped this.
  13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a recent quote from him after the Philly game on playing with Kamara that was telling:

On if [Nguyen] and Kei Kamara are having trouble connecting on the field:
    This is a pathetic excuse and makes him come across as either lazy or unwilling to step up the urgency and make the partnership click ASAP. Kamara was traded here on May 12th - 3 months ago. He has played 14 games for the revs, 41% of the regular season - 16 games if you include the USOC. That is plenty of time to create an effective working partnership.

I don't know who is to blame, maybe both, but if Nguyen and Kamara aren't able to click with each other, it's on the coaching staff to find an alternative or switch the formation. The fact this team is on their typical swoon and this is still a work in progress is a MAJOR failure by Heaps. In a 1 forward offense if the link up play isn't there and the wingers are useless, the offense ceases to work in any cohesive manner. This is a BIG problem.

dncm repped this.
  14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    ...as well as some NERevs fans who are curious to see how big of a new one Jermaine rips into the Revs backside that night, if he knee is back to form.

A quote from Pablo M re: Jones' impact on a team --

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...s-peeved-knee-injury-keeps-catalyst-sidelines

Leadership?

Fight?

Contagious want of the ball?

Catalyst?

Intangibles?

Translating that to other players?

Nah, Revs don't need Jermaine for that. They have plenty of that on the roster already.

goussoccer, a517dogg, Doublecard and 3 others repped this.
  15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    The good:
    • Heaps benches Shuttleworth - totally warranted unfortunately (even though it's not just him)
    • Heaps didn't sub in Daigo when they were down goals
    • The Post Game show - at least we have one, pretty decent production, and at least Zohn trying to point out things with a more critical and objective eye
    • Brad rightly saying that Boos where raining down at the end of the game (he could have not mentioned it)

The Bad: Everything Else (as it has been for awhile)
    • Heaps gameplan from the start is just NOT working. His version of the 4-2-3-1 is NOT working. The start of games and halves have been atrocious - a lot of that is on the coach then because he sets the tone. He can't seem to coach/motivate it, or the players are not buying into what Heaps is telling them.
    • Heaps coaching of how the team should press is NOT working. They are trying to press and play a high line, and yet there are still gaps, channels, and players out of position. He can't seem to coach/motivate it, or the players are not buying into what Heaps is telling them.
    • Heaps coaching of how we should cycle the ball through Lee and advance is NOT working. Lee has been playing un-motivated for sure, but watching last night - he is so limited in his options when he gets it outside of knocking it wide or back, I can partly see where the frustration is coming from - but that is on him as a 10 to be way more vocal, way more of a leader, way more available, and working as hard as Higuian was. Regardless - Heaps can't seem to coach/motivate it, or the players are not buying into what Heaps is telling them.
    • Heaps was an outside back - but mostly in a back 3. But he clearly cannot coach proper shape in attack and defense of some outside backs in a back 4. Farrell and Tierney (and whomever else - what was our draft pick again - seriously, I can't even remember his name right now). We know Tierney plays as a hybrid outside back - but against someone like Finlay who definitely plays wide in a front 3 - the experienced Tierney and/or Heaps should have had a better game plan. Tierney was behind the play running back numerous times, not just on the goal.
    • Knighton distribution with his hands into pressure was just as bad as Shuttleworths. I like the idea of trying to get the ball forward, even centrally, with a quick hand distribution - but numerous times it directly led to a turnover because the guy was under pressure. Is this being coached/asked of him or how does Heaps coach to not do this and explain why it is another aspect killing the team.
    • When Heaps finally made some subs and the players were clearly not playing Heaps' rigid 4-2-31 - there were more chances as Agudelo pushed more central and like a 2nd forward. Of course, Crew had a 2-0 lead, so it's not like that is a magic formula. Heaps has got to recognize who are his impact players, the ones who can help generate offense, and get them on the field from the Start and with a Plan. Heaps is clearly struggling in this area.
    • JoGo looking like he picks up an injury
    San Jose will be no push over. And then Red Bulls.

a517dogg and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  16. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Shalrie and Matt McCarthy on the 98.5 radio post-game show were brutally honest about the game results and the bigger picture of all that is a little off, or badly wrong, with the team. Shalrie especially pulling no punches. Said all the things being said here ad nauseum.

McCarthy was pretty good too, pretty much on the same page as Shalrie - except that he stated that the owners have "made the commitment" to resourcing the team properly, as evidenced by Jones and now Kamara. He apparently doesn't know, or won't acknowledge, or has been coached otherwise, that the Revs are far behind peers - since most other teams have 2 or 3 top-shelf difference makers/DPs on their rosters all the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------​

In related news, NERevs today announced that they will be holding the SportsHub Post-Game Radio Show team, including team legend Shalrie Joseph, accountable for their role in the inadequate season results.

Additionally, Burns and Bilello each stated that they have each committed their total available bandwidth to coming up with a plan to address this highest-priority, glaring flaw in the overall Revs portfolio.

They expect to be able to provide fans with a progress update on this item in the next 12-24 months.

NFLPatriot, a517dogg, dncm and 1 other person repped this.
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Summer losing streak has fully begun. And I don't see a win anytime soon.

And because this team markets itself so well, I thought it was an amazing idea from whomever came up with the thought of sending out a season ticket renewal email at 8:22 last night, during that shit show of a game. Well done, Revs. Well freakin' done.

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman calls out the Revs at half time of the ESPN game. Says what we all have been saying. No leadership, playing soft and Jay needs to change things up and start Juan with Kamara. Soooo no changes against NYRB.

dncm repped this.
  19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is freaking hilarious

20. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

...after a **string** of team-defining shitshow games.

Yeah, that was, umm, awesome.

Hard to fathom.

21. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Just posted same thing in the other thread. At least people are talking about it - TV, Twitter, etc - nowhere for this team and coach to "hide". They are on the hot seat.

firstshirt repped this.
  22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Holy cow

23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never coached a sports team or ran a sports franchise but I've had a number of major military commands and ran the medical services for the USMC, When I see the disarray and underperformance we;ve seen from this roster this year the answer to the above question is very clear. LEADERSHIP and that starts with the Coach. IMO, Heaps has lost this roster and he will not be able to get them back. I don't know when he will be replaced but as far as I'm concerned he's a dead man walking.

Dr. Sneezy and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It reminds me of the end of the 2011 season, Nicol and everyone else knew his tenure was inevitably going to end.

Feldspar repped this.
  25. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup