P/I/P CCL Group Stage Game 1: L.A. Galaxy vs Central FC, Thurs. 8/6/15 @ 7pm PDT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Aug 4, 2015.

1. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just re-watched that hit their GK put on Mendiola. That was criminal!!!!! He had no play on the ball, but went with the forearm strike to the head. What the F was that ref thinking???

esco300 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  2. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #177 SoCalYid, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Garcia was telegraphing is crosses as well because he's right footed. Honestly he was crossing too much in general. It's easier for a defense to set when a ball swings in from that angle. Not being experienced playing LB inverted he couldn't really take on players or create the space to cut inside.

To critique one thing in general, not that it matters against teams of Central FC's quality, but we're going to have to cut down on lumping the ball forward from the back. It took awhile for Gio to get any meaningful touches because he wasn't getting passes to feet. For a player like Gio that's a waste, you want him on the ball. Unless it's Gerrard or Juninho hitting accurate diagonals we need to find ways to Lletget, Keane and Gio on the ball, so they can take on players. We need to start playing more out of the back, that includes the keeper as well.

ragbone and Unak78 repped this.
  3. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    Thought Mika was really bad. At least Garcia you can say hey he's a local/G2 guy making nothing. But Mika was awful.

Beirut, esco300 and Ghosting repped this.
  4. Sharkidinho

Sharkidinho Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were up to me, I'd play Keane and Zardes up top, Lletget and GDS on the wings (though both play inside a lot) and Gerrard and Juni deeper. Even though RR hasn't played nearly as well this season, he can still have a huge impact moving into the attack. I know its a lot of new pieces to integrate but it's hard for me to see the galaxy not bring home another cup this year.

5. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For my money Lletget was the best player on the field in the second half. His ability to combine quickly with players makes him so valuable. The second 11 guys were pretty much what I expected. Garcia is "tidy" if not downright conservative, but as mentioned, that's his job on a day like today. The center backs looked solid and unspectacular. Walker is the archetype "water carrier". Mika is a huge disappointment for me. He doesn't seem to offer anything going forward. Maganto is the opposite. Yes, he gives the ball away and makes the odd poor decision, but there is a little bit of magic now and then that tells me he can contribute down the road. He's got quick feet and the ability to beat players 1v1, and that has value for me.

I'd like to see Gio out wide in a 4-2-3-1. Zardes up top, Keane underneath(actually Keane, Gio and Lletget could be interchangeable) and Gerrard playing deeper beside Juni. It gives us a lot of flexibility and firepower. RR and Gargan bombing down the wings, especially at Stubhub will give us the requisite width.

I too hope that Mendiola is OK. That kid will be a player for us. He and Maganto and Villareal give us a bunch of attacking options off the bench that differ from what Gordon brings. As someone else here mentioned, this is the most complete roster I've ever seen in MLS, and by far the deepest LAG team in history.

hav77, galaxydeadhead, Beirut and 7 others repped this.
  6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proud of our team playing through a compete sh*t show from the ref. Good God.

But the team got it done and here's to hoping the injuries are not that bad.

Lletget is fricking amazing.

I also want to mention that Villareal was no slouch either with chance creation so he is a legitimate threat off the bench.

I'm really excited about CCL this year! (Minus the refs).

Hopefully when we play these guys at home the game doesn't matter and we can send scrubs.

NO INJURIES.

7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hav77, rokstedy, Berks and 5 others repped this.
  10. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we watch the same game? No injuries? Mendiola looks to have suffered a potentially serious injury. What play did Villareal make? He wasn't even on the bench was he? Our subs were Lleget, Dos Santos and Delagarza. I'm confused.

11. lou czar

lou czar Member

Sep 26, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An awful lot of words, and you still didn't manage to say, hey I was wrong, I told you I am biased. Which was about where I stopped taking the original post seriously. Garcia's passing was good, simple possession is a must. Take the ball, and keep the ball. That is a win. For me, Vayrynen was not quite on the same page as everyone else so his short easy passes looked bad.

12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    esco300 repped this.
  13. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the Lord put Christopher Reed on this earth in order to make us all long for Jair Marufo.

jscott23, Berks, StillKickin and 6 others repped this.
  14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was just saying that in addition to magianto as a potential spark plug off the bench for the first team we also have Jose V. when he gets healthy . Jose V has been one of our better players this year when available (which hasn't been very much).

15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the center ref didn't even call a foul. He wanted to play on and the linesman (20 yards away) called the foul. That center ref was terribad.

StillKickin and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Though that AR blew 3 offside calls, so just set as bad. Far side AR was alright.

Berks, StillKickin and TrickHog repped this.
  17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in no position to judge those offside calls. I just blamed Zardes. Seemed like a safe bet from 130.

TrickHog repped this.
  18. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes my friend you are confused. Berks said "Hopefully" no injuries, not there were no injuries. Also Villareal was being mentioned as a strong bench player for LA; not that he was on the bench for this game lol.

Berks, StillKickin and 100fyers repped this.
  19. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that you, Rafa?

20. BoostedE55AMG

BoostedE55AMG Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Really close, looks onside to me

21. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Zardes was not offside, Gordon was. Gordon was in offside position, when Gargen took the shot and never got back into onside position before Zardes passed him the ball.

22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Gordon was onsides when Zardes passed the ball to him, since Gordon was a good 6 yards behind the ball at that point… If Gordon had been the first player to get to Gargan's errant shot, then yes, but it was Zardes who got to it, and he was on when Gargan took the shot.

skydog, ragbone, Berks and 4 others repped this.
  23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While this is true, our defense is suspect by CL knockout rounds standards. Rather amazingly, we have Liga MX or better-level talent at most attacking positions and CM; our backline is another story except for Omar.

How our midfield looks against Liga MX teams will determine if Gerrard was the right move, I think.

24. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    You are correct and I am wrong per FIFA doctrine.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The whole game I was like
    "F concacaf!"
    [​IMG]

but then Gio walked toward the sideline and I was all
    [​IMG]