PBP: P/I/P - Black Diamond Run #6 - Rapids @ OrlandOh here we go again

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Apr 3, 2019.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You score three goals in a game and you should win. You give up 2 games in the last 10 minutes and you should lose. It’s a roller coaster with the guys. The sad part.....the rollercoaster ain’t stopping on its way down. It’s crashing. The backline is shit. That’s being nice. They aren’t helped by Hudson’s poor tactics but the basic concept of defending is missing. My U-15 girl’s team has more awareness, poise, and desciple defending. I just don’t have the energy to dive into how bad they are defensively. Our attack played well enough to win. It’s as simple as that. Cole Bassett had a breakout. Please, please, please Rapids don’t stunt his growth.

fortcollins and Andy126 repped this.
  2. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I missed the second half due to family obligations. Sad to have missed Cole’s beauty of an assist and a goal live, not sad to miss the crumble in defense.

However, I do have a question. I was reading some comments from both teams fans...and it sounds like there may have been headbutts by Nani...

Did anybody see those potential headbutts?

3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Acosta was behind Nani when Nani took a pass in the area with his back to goal. Acosta put some body on him and Nani's legs suddenly went weak and he went down. The ref wasn't buying it and Acosta had words for him.

Nani got pissed off and did the forehead-to-forehead thing soccer players do. Was there an actual butt? I didn't look that closely. Maybe, but it would have been a fairly cheap sending off. Not that that doesn't happen.

4. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona

Doesn’t matter if contact or not...that looks like a serious temper tantrum and an attempted headbutt twice...could’ve been an easy red if that’s the play in question. Especially if he made contact

Wish I coulda watched the second half! Oh well. Here’s to another rapids loss eh?

5. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We have had send offs for less, the reasoning is that a head butt is a red no matter how soft.

Apparently not.

Banter and Andy126 repped this.
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be surprised to see Nani suspended after a review by the Disciplinary Committee. He should have seen red. Ridiculous that he did not. And as fate would have it.....Nani is the one that punished the Rapids.

Banter, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love Serna but hate him on the backline. Other teams know he's out of position and work on him all game.

Also, have experienced normal DC traffic coupled with Cherry Blossom insanity yesterday going to the DCU game, I'll never complain about the drive on I-25 to Dick's from the Springs again

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Wow

I don’t listen to post match comments and happy I don’t

Based on Hudson’s comments, if I were the GM or whoever has hiring and firing power. I would fire him on the spot. Zero drive, everyone is a winner attitude. This team is going nowhere with Hudson in charge.

I’m glad I abandoned my season tickets after over 20 years.

This organization is a joke!!!

COMtnGuy, ogre1976 and fortcollins repped this.
  10. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, for some reason, I want to watch the replay of this game. But it is the only MLS game from last night that has yet to appear as a viewable replay on ESPN+, whether the browser or app version. Any ideas?

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Altitude available in your area? You might be getting blacked out because of it.

12. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would.

Nani will skate because he's a star player on a team thats much more relevant than us.

The Disciplinary Committee doesn't actually exist to try and curb shitty player behavior the refs missed. It only exists to punish small market teams like us. They're more likely to fine Acosta than anything.

Banter and Andy126 repped this.
  13. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's not-- I don't think it's a blackout issue.

Could be yet another "ESPN+ is unreliable with a poorly designed interface" issue.

14. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Another one of those years where it doesn't feel any better a day later and with a cooler head.

What strikes me is how the team pretty much crumbles from the 80th minute on. To me, that's coaching. I had a basketball coach once that said, "If you keep it close for three quarters, I'll figure out a way to beat them." I've also judged basketball coaches on how their teams do coming out of a time out. That's where coaching reveals itself.

In my opinion, how a team plays at the end of close games is highly impacted by coaching. And there's no hiding the poor play of the Rapids in the final minutes of games.

Rod1916 and fortcollins repped this.
  15. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    #140 Andy126, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    I realize post game comments are one the many places Hudson (fairly) takes his knocks, but in this instance I actually don’t mind his comments and kind of agree with him. I fully agree with Jason’s statement that good teams don’t allow themselves to be in a position where bad luck or bad officiating effects the outcome of the match. We are very clearly not a good team right now for a number of reasons, but in this case Hudson has a fair point. We have been on the wrong end of some questionable calls. We’re in a spot where everything seems to be breaking against us (again, I agree that good teams make their own luck) and you can hear Hudson’s overall frustration.

Banter and fortcollins repped this.
  16. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hudson's comments focused on Nani's conduct. That wasn't the problem.

The problem was that the Rapids couldn't defend against Nani. Other than watching the train wreck from the coaching box, what was Hudson doing about that? What tactical changes did he make to take Nani out of the attack? According to Opta, Nani completed 25 of 35 passes in the Rapids' defensive field, 17 in the final third. That pretty much meets the definition of running wild, reflected in his Audi Index score of 929, by far the highest of any player in the match. It isn't as though Nani managed to sneak up on anyone (except maybe Hudson). What preparations were made to contain him? What adjustments were made during the looooooong lightning delay halftime?

Coaching is lacking. Talent is lacking. The results are not a fluke.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1114881095504420865 is not a valid tweet id

Banter and COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-4-2 is not because we 'were the better side' in most of the games, or the lack of proper officiating......

19. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Also completely agree with this. No real argument against the bottom line here.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    This should read . . . "they are able to produce more goals than last season, but the results aren't coming."

Really, the Rapids had some great build-up play that led to goals. After the 1-0- lead and 3-2 lead the Rapids looked in command - for a number of minutes. Then they would mentally fall apart. It was really rough to watch.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #146 m vann, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...n-acosta-orlando-instant-replay?autoplay=true

MLS Instant Replay gurus - Weibe and Warshaw - have differing opinions on the Nani incident. Weibe says red and Warshaw says no. interesting that Warshaw says Nani "did it intentionally away from Acosta's head" WTF? Huh? An attempted headbutt is an attempted headbutt. Just like an attempted strike to a player is a red card. There's zero difference.

Banter and JasonMa repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totoro repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posts from two well connected refs in the ref forum:

kucsdat, Totoro, Dom. FC and 1 other person repped this.