PBP: P/I/P - Black Diamond Run #3 - Rapids vs The artists formerly known as Wiz - 3/17 @ 7pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Mar 13, 2019.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [drum roll please]

And the award for the dumbest Swede goes to........

COMtnGuy and Soaker888 repped this.
  2. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Very soft red

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is nothing like the 2018 season.

zapem_10 repped this.
  4. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet.

Andy126, fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like a weak second yellow but a legit foul call from the stands. How did it look on TV?

6. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider yourself lucky. Time to Google "how to unwatch a match."

AlbertCamus repped this.
  7. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Foul was a foul.

The second yellow for.... kicking the ball away? Weak sauce.

Good free kick. Looked like Howard alligator armed it but also may have been out of reach.

zapem_10 and JasonMa repped this.
  8. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last 21 minutes were a lot like the 2018 season.

COMtnGuy, Maarten van 242 and ogre1976 repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. This team shows more desire and drive in one game than the whole 2018 season.

zapem_10 and Sports Yak repped this.
  10. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Stupid was strong with that one. The call was technically correct.

SccrDon, Andy126, Rod1916 and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ouch. Have to say the Sjoberg foul was legit. So the free kick would have happened without the soft yellow/red. Ghosts of last year watching Tim stand and look instead of diving. Maybe he was looking the other way or didn’t see it off the foot.

Have to say the tie was a fair result. Rapids only goal was a blunder. KC had more good chances.

Andy126, ogre1976 and jayd8888 repped this.
  12. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technical execution is still lacking. Stupid mistakes are still subtracting points. The team can't hold a lead at home. And the home draw against Portland isn't looking too impressive right now.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, hard to blame the team for not holding a lead against Portland given how they lost it. And the 2018 Rapids don’t come back, twice, to get a draw in that game regardless of how good/bad the opposition is.

You want to call the last 5 minutes tonight 2018-ish, fine, but claiming there’s no change in this team from 2018 is ignoring the other 265 minutes of evidence this season. This is a team that just played 3 of the best 2018 Western Conference teams and largely held their own. The 2018 team would have lost at least 2 of the 3 by multiple goals and felt lucky if they got 1 point instead of being disappointed they don’t have 4.

jayd8888, Andy126, Rod1916 and 3 others repped this.
  14. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Jason, everything you wrote is true. But we all have PTSD, so when they lose a lead in the 90th minute on a foul, red card, and Tim mimicking a statute as the ball goes in the net...well, it feels worse than usual.

Another small complaint—Rapids last offensive play in extra time. Kai taking on four defenders to his right. Shinyashiki slowly jogs to the left giving Kamara nowhere to pass. Reminded me of his lack of effort on a play against Portland. Kid, you do play a skilled game—he showed that again tonight—but he has to add hustle too or he’s going to drive us nuts.

fortcollins, jayd8888, Andy126 and 5 others repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some interesting comparisons to KC at home last season (which was the first home game and the second game overall in 2018):

Shots/Shots on goal:
    2018: 8/2
    2019 13/2

Possession
    2018: 38.4%
    2019: 39%

Passing accuracy:
    2018: 69%
    2019: 78 %

Final scores:
    2018: 2-2
    2019: 1-1

Diego Rubio scored in both games, got the tying goal in the 91st minute last year, got what turned out to be the Rapids tying goal this year.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...colorado-rapids-vs-sporting-kansas-city/stats
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...colorado-rapids-vs-sporting-kansas-city/stats

16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    It was a shame to see that game end that way. The Rapids had played pretty well til the end and were trading blows nicely with KC. Here's the takeaways I got from the game for our guys:

The fluidity of the diamond was pretty nice in my opinion, and it looked like the players had a pretty good understanding of each others positioning, the defensive/offensive rotation, and roles on the pitch. They also seemed to shift to a flat 4-4-2 in certain situations as well, which provided pretty solid defensive coverage.

Feilhaber showed up today as opposed to last week, which was nice. Didn't do a heck of a lot to change the game, but he put in a good shift, which was nice after his complete disengagement last week.

Rubio is a heck of a fighter and am glad to have him on the team.

Loved the pressure we constantly seemed to be putting on the KC backline when they were trying to build from the back. Definitely something we didn't see done very well last year.

Was a little surprised to see Axel get the MOTM honors. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and what he can bring to the pitch, just was surprised to see that.

Wynne only got mentioned once. Yes it was an embarrassing mention, but anytime a CB doesn't get his name called a lot I'd say that's an overall good day. Means he's not getting beat all the time, the ball isn't pressured in our box constantly, and fewer opportunities to screw up. STILL would prefer Tommy or Kortne or Kofi - who we haven't even seen in Rapids colors yet this season - there though.

Also, call me crazy, but with Serna at left back I don't miss Castillo at all. Castillo hasn't really seemed to do much for NE yet, and Serna has been lock down at the LB position. He's defensive work rate is great to see, and we all know Castillo couldn't defend hardly at all last year. Serna definitely can bring some electricity to the offense.

What the heck was wrong with Blomberg??? Dude hasn't played in forever, gets some minutes finally, and loses his mind and acts a complete fool. LATE foul getting him that first yellow. Kick the ball away while looking right at the ref in the 85+th minute? C'mon that's just dumb man. Other than the inch perfect assist to Nikki Jackson last year, what has the guy done? Honest question.

Kamara has way to much fun on the field as a CF for the Rapids. The dude's everywhere getting involved in everything. What is this???

Tim Howard looked really good, and Time Howard (yes, that's an intentional "typo") looked really bad.

Wish we could've seen that result out and close the game out with a win. Oh well. The Rapids giveth, and the Rapids taketh away

17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Why was this game Sunday at 7PM, btw?

I assume it was moved to Sunday due to SporKS playing on Thursday. Why 7PM?

I miss those March 2PM games.

/oldman

fortcollins, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. I don't know if I'm overly impressed per se but it is a solid formation that seems to fit the characteristics of our players. We seem to be creating more chances on the attack. My only complaint.....there needs to be quicker recognition when they need to "flatten" defensively. We got caught a couple of times in transition in this game and the Seattle match.

That frontline pressure with Rubio and Kamara is needed for our success. They are both relentless and annoying and are going to cause issues - evident by Rubio lurking and Melia mishandling an easy passback. But it's also Serna and Rosenberry inching up the line and keeping that sideline tight that's preventing a team like SKC from hitting those wings on quick transitions.

I've said it for YEARS.....Serna has leftback - or leftwing back if you want to get technical - written all over him. He's smart in his defensive assignments, fast enough to not repeatedly get spun, quickly and efficiently transitions from defending to attacking and quite honestly is more of an attacking threat coming from that position. I think the first time I saw him deployed as a LB was with the US U-23's under Andrea Herzog. It was then that I was like okay this is where he needs to be. It suits his skill set.

I was screaming at Blomberg. Screaming. First yellow. Dumb. He was not going to win the ball. But the second yellow.....absolutely inexcusable. First off, you know damn well after receiving an initial yellow you're fresh on the ref's mind. Second, the emotion is still running high after a SKC no-call PK shout, the game is in the waning minutes, and you kick the ball away while looking towards the ref's direction on an iffy call to begin with and that's asking for trouble. A ref is ALWAYS going to take offense to that - rightful so

ogre1976, fortcollins, jayd8888 and 4 others repped this.
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Blomberg was stupid, but I don't think many GK's in the MLS are stopping that free kick, it was about perfect as they come (over Axel and under bar in side netting).

kucsdat, SccrDon, fortcollins and 4 others repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. I think if Clint Irwin was in net nobody would be making the claim that he should have done better, but because it was Tim Howard (and because, right or wrong, he has oversized expectations put on him by Rapids fans) we get a bunch of people claiming Tim screwed up.

21. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    On the positive side: Playing with 10 didn’t hurt us.

On the negative: Giving up the free kick cost is 2 points.

Outlook: won’t be long before all that positive energy gets zapped out of this team.

rapidogordo repped this.
  22. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it was a TV choice as the national games played in the PM.

Agree the two ties "feel" like 2018 when nothing went right, but in 2018 it was our fault, in 2019 our record stinks but we are much better. I'll give them a few more games before I lose interest.....

R

23. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Oddities

24. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids scored as a result of some organized team pressure and a great heads up play. Not much like the last two years.

The undisciplined foul and subsequent yellow and accumulated red we're very much the Rapids of the last few years.

Andy126, COMtnGuy, Riccardo55 and 3 others repped this.
  25. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took me a day to process my frustrations from last night's match. These are some of them.
    1. The 2019 team has far more talent than the 2018 team. The players are much more experienced, much better quality, and more capable of contending in the west. The coaching, however, remains the same. Hudson has several maddening habits, including tinkering with the chemistry, starting players out of position, trying to force players to fit his system, head-scratching substitutions, and obliviousness to changing game situations. These habits aren't consistent, don't emerge every match, but make appearances from time to time throughout a season. Last night was one of those times.
    2. Chapman had an awful match as center ref. He was in "let 'em play" mode in the first half, handing our just one booking. At halftime, probably after debriefing the rough play he let pass, Dr. Henry Jekyll turned into Mr. Henry Hyde. Chapman was in "lock 'em up" mode the rest of the match, issuing seven second half YCs, including the mustard-and-ketchup to Blomberg. I hate it when refs do this, but it's part of the game. Remember the first rule of soccer: know your ref. Vermes saw the transformation, and had Sporting Kansas City ratchet down the aggressive play. Hudson either was slower to notice or didn't adequately adjust to the changed officiating. Blomberg came on playing like it was the 30' mark rather than the 79' mark of a very differently officiated half. That is either bad coaching or an uncoachable player.
    3. When Blomberg came in, it was immediately evident that he wasn't on the same page as the rest of the team. He was like a wrecking ball cutting a swath through the formation. Again, either he wasn't given clear instructions or he doesn't listen to instructions. My hunch is that he thought this was his one last, best chance to prove his worth, and his nervous energy took over for his brain.
    4. Blomberg's performance wasn't just awful. It was almost franchise-history awful. In less than nine minutes, he completed three passes. Those were the highlights. He turned over the ball once (weakly) and lost the ball out of bounds, while committing a foul, snagging two bookings, and hitting the showers. His -662 OPTA in under nine minutes is the stuff of legends. I honestly didn't think scores could go that low.
    5. Blomberg's exit didn't cost the Rapids Blomberg. That was actually an improvement. It cost the Rapids Acosta. Without Acosta, Kamara looked like he had a '90s rock star entourage everywhere he went. He was dripping defenders the rest of the match. It didn't help when Shinyashiki went full Nico Hernandez, and dragged an additional defender over to him. ("Here, I don't need my defender. You can have him." "Gee, thanks, kid.")
    6. Time after time, I saw passes fall short of targeted players, wide open players passed up in favor of low-probability attacks, players hesitating before passing, and obviously missed scoring opportunities. There weren't as many of these as in 2018 matches, but they were still far too evident.

Andy126, m vann, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.