P/I/P: Atlanta @ Revs, 5/30

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, May 29, 2018.

1. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that the team is on the same point pace as last year. I am still optimistic that the outcome will be better this year. If this team remains mentally tough and avoids the long swoons that the recent teams have had, then they should finish with the handful of points that have caused them to miss the playoffs the last couple of years. (I hope.)

I disagree that this team is boring to watch. I guess it is a matter of taste. I like seeing a team that is trying different tactics, formations, and players geared towards the opponent that they are playing that game. It doesn't always work, but neither did rolling out the same strategy and players every game in the last several seasons. They were outclassed by Atlanta in the second half, but the team still pulled a point out of the game. I am happy to see a team that plays the game to the end and keeps fighting. Last year I think the result would not have been as positive.

Yes they traded your favorite player. A player who did not want to play for this team anymore and who is not a good fit for a team that wants to press and play fast.

Penilla is not a good player? Caicedo? Zahibo? I disagree. I consider these to be 3 good players who also fit the style of play that this coach wants the team to play. More good players who fit this style are needed. Let's hope to see one or more added in the summer transfer window.

2. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Agreed - reminds me of Ralston who played with top players early on too.

I take a slightly stronger approach - we HAVE to see additions this summer to move this team forward. Heaps was not good at this.

Friedel has to prove he can find other players - especially attracting some studs. They have a ton of $$$$. There is no excuse not to upgrade in multiple areas. They have to already be planning, interviewing, scouting, etc and being ready to close deals. That will show me (and other potential players/agents/opponents) this team is on a different trajectory.

Sure, that makes the coach's job harder - but that is what they get paid for.

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing to note is that we have had more home games this year than we did at the same point as last year, so generally teams do better at home, so more points. We got off to a good start, which was encouraging, but there were definitely some dropped points (Columbus in particular).

Time will tell if this group is going to be any better than last year's. I'm encouraged that this year's crop of new players are better than in past years, but as someone said upthread, they have some serious money and while Friedel has done much better, this year's summer transfer window (and the second half, when these guys start playing), will go a long way to determining if this is really a new era under Friedel, or just a slightly better version of previous Rev teams

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need help at left back ASAP. Safe to say Friedel struck out on Somi, though his average is still pretty good.

teskicks repped this.
  5. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Revs did a great job of suffocating ATL's attack in the first half, aside from leaving Martinez WIDE OPEN for his goal. Was that Delamea or Farrell who screwed that up? Martinez and Almiron hardly had any meaningful touches in the 1st.

But the 2nd half was all Atlanta and the Revs are lucky to get that point. Turner made some saves, but Barco, Almiron, and others all had bad nights in front of goal.

6. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked to me like they could not coordinate covering for Anibaba who fell down. If he had stayed on his feet there probably would not have been that confusion.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I watched that a bunch of times, because the defenders were all glaring at each other.

It looked like Delamea lost track of Martinez as he was dropping towards goal, but it clearly looked like Farrell had a chance to get to the ball first, but inexplicably (to me, and his fellow back-liners I suspect), pulled off and let Martinez get to it for an open shot.

8. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farrell is gaffe prone. And they usually lead to goals. I wouldn't mind seeing someone else at rb.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  9. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's how I saw it. Then they had miscommunication when trying to adjust.

10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Farrell was at least marking a man, Delamea was just marking space. Farrell probably could have moved to the ball, but instead he tried to box out his man. Not a perfect decision, but at least he defended something. Delamea panicked and stood still

MM66 repped this.
  11. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel made a similar comment about a player marking space rather than marking a man on the goal

12. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Dellamea got abused out there. Turner's heroics were largely bailouts for Dellamea. Hopefully they're hunting for upgrades.

As for the team, it very well could be on track for a 7th/8th finish, though it definitely knows what it is (mid-table ball pressure/quick hit team). I tend to raise my expectations for teams with a definitive style and some ability to execute it. Even if it's not pretty, teams with a clear identity often scratch out extra points (like the Revs did in this game and in their home opener).

13. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    MM66 repped this.
  14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That agrees with my perception, but ... the game is 11v11, not 10v10. Goalkeepers are part of it.

15. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    According to those numbers NE is far exceeding their xg (+5) on the season, and are conceeding fewer than expected as well (-7). They may be due for a regression in at least 1 of those categories (Turner has helped skew the GA quite a bit)

16. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Teal for sure has been finishing at a far better than expected rate. We've also benefited from a couple own goals.

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Teal has been finishing at a better rate because he's getting easier chances.

As for benefitting from OGs, are there really more than typical? And, IIRC we've had one PK all season - even though we've at least 2 or 3 more that definitely were deserved.

18. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Since the middle of last season, Teal's been good at creating easier chances for himself. He uses his speed to get to the weak side for tap-ins. He changed from being a guy trying to run past defenders with the ball to a guy running past defenders without the ball.

tsb11 and A Casual Fan repped this.
  19. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    At least two that I can think of. Teal and Diego have both scored on PKs.

20. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great observation!

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of what makes it easier is his vision and work rate. He's always had a good work rate but this year he's reading and anticipating the game better. He's making really smart runs and benefiting from stronger wing play. The revs finally have wide threats who can serve in a cross from the wing, which is ideal for Teal making that run to the 6 yd box for an easy finish.

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think under Heaps Bunbury got discouraged and lazy. He can talk all he wants about always working hard, but his tracking back defensively last year and the year before were really lacking.

I think his success this year is pretty simple - he's playing with a guy who can create easy chances for him, and also makes it relatively easy to time his runs. You can see Penilla run at a defender and when you see him round the guy at the end line, that's when you make your break. It doesn't get much more straightforward than that.

And, he gets similar cause/effect from the pressing game - he pressure defenders into making poor passes, his midfielders intercept and pump it right back to him for a run at goal.

a517dogg repped this.
  23. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Along those lines - he's also not being forced into constant close-quarters tiki-taka play as often as he was last season, given Friedel's shift away from that tactic this year. (Teal's first touch too often betrays him when he is called on for those fine-motor-skills-under-duress types of touches.)

But when his first touch is to punish a mistake, smash the ball, or poach the ball into the net - that all seems to be working fine this season.

I'm happy to see him being successful.

Steve_R and BrianLBI repped this.