Oz City Update Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by futuregrace, Dec 13, 2007.

1. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://kcwizards.wordpress.com

To appease a few I've started this thread to act as the news of updates to the Oz City Kansas City Wizards blog site. That being said there are two updates that may be of interest today. The first ask the question of whether the die-hards are the heart of the team or a pain in the butt, the second is a mock up of what the 2008 Wizards jersey should be similar to.

In the future all (non-breaking news) updates will be posted here.

2. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that is how that is done. Thank you for creating the single thread and also may I say that's very deftly turned payback.

3. FRYE!

FRYE! New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    KC
    may you handle all obstacles in the future with such grace. :cool:

4. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Feel free to put me into the PAIN-IN-THE-BUTT category.

Either add a by-line to the Cauldron photo giving credit to the photographer and photo service [me and Yellow Card Journalism], or REMOVE it.

I thank you for your immediate attention to this omission.
    ;)

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wade I have to ask, is the Jose Luis Burciaga Foundation logo the exact picture you took from the Columbus game? It certainly looks like it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wade, I don't know you, perhaps later I will, but you really do come off like a pain in the butt on here. You've got to realize there are more important things in life than getting upset over someone using a photo you took on a blog. It's not like it is a real media source and I'm sure that one day when you are laying on your death bed you won't be thinking back to how that blogger didn't ask permission to use your photo. I'm not going to bend to your threats though, so let it go.

7. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. This is perfect.

I'll save Wade the trouble of being a pain in the ass about this because I do know Wade.

He has the copyright on that photo, being that he's the one that took it. If you don't either give him credit or remove the photo, he can sue you for copyright infringement and he would win. And that would cost you money, pure and simple. :cool:

8. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes people don't understand just how 'bad' it is to steal photos, or even appreciate that photographers don't _need_ to make their stuff even available to be stolen.

And really futuregrace - he didn't ask you to remove it outright, but simply give credit. How would you feel if you made a really good post on your blog regarding the future of the team and then MLSNet just stole the article and didn't give you any credit for it. Even if you wouldn't care, I'm sure you can see how people could care about it.

9. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just looked at the photo again, it says his name on it and it says, YCJ. I had never heard of Yellow Card Journalism before this. That being said, his name is on it. That is credit.
    I struggle to why people get so mad because I don't care if you take my stuff. Take it word for word, I really don't care. You may know Wade personally and like him, but all I know is him going off on me in the comments talking about how I ignored the copyright warnings, I did nothing of the such, he could have been a little nice to begin with, but he is the very type of jerk I'm talking about that runs people off.

For the record all the photos I've taken and all the movies are free for any of you to use for the promotion of the Wizards.

10. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its called the line between amateur and professional, not trying to be a dick it just is that simple

Kathie was a professional photographer for some time and would expect proper notation for those photos...now she is not taking all the wizard photos professionally and does not seek credit, she just appreciates it (as anyone would)

11. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but the difference is he is a professional photographer, and you are not. It's the same as plagiarism. He makes his living publishing his photographs, and you helped yourself to one for free. You seem like a motivated dude and you're doing something of great value but you are in the wrong this time. He's being extremely reasonable in just asking for credit. I understand that you have got this really nice, unprecedented Wizards blog going and you feel like you should get some latitude, but actually you are getting latitude, as Mr. Jackson just said he would let you have the photo for free as long as you put his name and company under it.

This part I am not 100% sure on, but I would think the watermark would not be sufficient by itself to say you gave him credit. That's more like a copy-protection thing I think, and serves to help you know who's name to put on your byline. I would just add the byline.

12. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

boo. what are you, a republican?

13. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Take that back... never been so insulted in all my life...

2) My best friend is a lawyer... my politics have nothing to do with it. I'm just telling him what any self-respecting lawyer would tell him...

14. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    I didn't design the JLB Foundation logo... or use the picture... but copyright infringement is a SERIOUS issue. It is not to be taken lightly.

I wouldn't mess with Wade/Andy/YCJ on this one... they'll win.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i fully assume that i'm one of the posters that you are thinking of when throwing around the word 'jerk,' and i'm willing to bet that this post isn't going to improve me in your eyes. frankly, i don't give a rat's ass. my "jerkitude" comes from quotes like the above. you continue to preach to us about how terrible fans some of us are and what we should be doing to improve our fandom, and the truth of the matter is, you don't even know who these people are. oh, you've been to a few games and seen a couple of posts on a message board... well then, johnny-come-lately has it all figured out now. ycj (andymead and wade jackson) have done a tremendous amount for wizards fans waaaay before you became a fan, and the fact that you admit you've never even heard of them shows your ignorance. they have the right to make such requests, not to mention the professional and legal right.

now don't misinterpret what i'm saying here as me declaring that you have to earn your right to be a wizards fan. that's absurd and i'm not suggesting it at all. i am saying, however, that you have to earn your right to criticize. we don't know you, man, and you obviously don't know us... yet. you'd never have named your blog 'oz city' if you knew what would appeal to wizards fans.

i'd just like for you to stop acting like you know what the deal is, when it's obvious that you're not up to speed yet. you're free to have your opinions and to write about them on your blog until the cows come home, but don't get all bent out of shape when people take issue with it.

it's because you're not a real journalist; you're a pseudojournalist. it's also because you're a bit obtuse. it's hard to see someone else's point of view when you're always looking through your own eyes.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never said that the team or Jose's Foundation used that picture without permission, I was just asking Wade if that was the picture they used for it, cause the two look exactly alike.

17. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea wasn't necessarily to make you think about how you would feel about someone stealing a blog post as much as someone stealing... well, something important to you that you've made. I don't know what you do for a living, so I can't use that as an example... so I just went for what I do know you did.

And the issue about all this is that it's not just you either, but an entire society which seems to care little about copyrights anymore. It used to be hard(er) to infringe on someone's copyright of a photo, song or movie... but now it can be done thousands of times by just putting it on a webserver. Not to mention that sometimes it seems like people feel they have the right to watch, listen and see whatever they want and how dare people try to charge them for it.

But again, just remember that Wade doesn't have to put his photos up for anyone to see, he does so for many reasons but all, well, most of us appreciate the fact that does. And before you trivialize his copyrights, perhaps you ought to go try to reproduce what he's manage to do - get a camera, go to a game and see if you can get shots like he did. You'll find out that it's a lot harder, not to mention that you just spent a few thousand on lenses and a camera to do so in the first place.

And then finally consider that should Wade and everyone else simply not allow you to view their work online, you would be stuck with the above method to obtain any images for your blog. If that means that you would simply go without photographs, then maybe that's what you ought to do now.

18. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like the concept of your blog and I like the different story approaches you are taking. It is a nice contrast to Downthebyline. Different approaches, wider discussion, all good.

In fact I like your recent questioning of the Cauldron on your blog. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it s good to have that insight, generate discussion, argument, debate. What else are gonna do in the off season ;) :D

But violating copyright after it has been pointed out to you leaves a sour taste. I want to read your blog, I want to take your opinions seriously and debate with other fans. But your attitude on the copyright is rather dismissive and makes me less likely to read your blog and not take you seriously.

19. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
  20. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Future, you know I've supported your blog since Day 1, offering videos etc, leaving comments. I loved the post debating whether or not the Cauldron is a bigger pain in the ass than they're worth. Over the last year, that debate has gained some merit.

I absolutely HATE the petty feuds and apathy that has plagued the core of the Cauldron over the past year. The lack of support for a consistent Cauldron presence at community events bothers me. I didn't see a single Cauldron member at the Burciaga foundation event last night, and that was a long-time player asking for help with a new foundation. It was still a successful event without us, but it could've been a lot better with us.

Wade can be as big of a dick as anyone on the boards, but he Andy and the rest of YCJ deserve more respect for what they have done and continue to do for Wizards fans. Literally, they've been there since the very beginning, doing thankless work for years. It could be why they can both at times come off as a little bitter, especially on this subject.

I think there was a better way for Wade to bring up crediting photos and the like, especially to someone who is newer to the team and has great intentions - but I'm wondering how much of your contention with the issue isn't the principle of copyright and credit, and actually about how rude he came off initially. That's understandable, but it's a reasonable request, an easy fix, and not worth adding to our growing reputation as Wizards fans as complainers first and doers second. The last thing that's going to fix it is more sniping.

Keep doing what you're doing. Hopefully, it becomes big enough that you could make some money for your efforts someday.

21. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I admit, his assumptions and threats didn't make we want to respond in a kindly manner. I've added his name to the bottom of the post, not sure how to add it immediately below the picture.

As far as my attitude regarding copyright infringement, it is not that I am for people stealing things and for plagiarism, but this is not my job, I don't exhaust every effort to find out where a photo is coming from because it is only going to be at the top of an amateur blog. Now I know not to use anything that has YCJ on it, fine, but I don't see how it is a favor to the wizards for a group of guys to take photos and then go nuts when someone shows them. I understand he makes a living off of the photos, why not use the comments section to advertise his services? "Hey if you like the photo in this post you can find more at www... where you can buy them or higher out the photographer for things."

I also didn't appreciate the accusations that I had ignored copyright warnings on my way to "steal" the photo. He was wrong, in the comments I explain how I came about the photo. Why has farming with nick not been threatened for hosting the picture without permission? I merely linked to it.

As far as your threats to not read the blog because I used a picture without permission, which by the way is not said in the post clearly to belong to Wade Jackson. Fine, I really don't care if you read it or not. Again I don't get paid by you reading it, I don't have some need of people to read it to feel important. I would much rather someone else provide the news and my just checking it every day to see what is going on with my team. So please, don't read it, start a boycott for all I care.

To those who do read I will be careful not to use anything by YCJ again, but I don't see how that will help the wizards to have photos that no one can use unless they pay Wade. That's right it doesn't it helps Wade.

22. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Even though they are professionals, they've made their collections available for us to view for free for a long time.

Sometimes, like a free blog, they're not always quick to get the photos up they have, but they go well beyond what anyone else does in terms of letting soccer fans see their work for free.

As someone who works with NBA Entertainment and Getty Images on a daily basis, I know how rare and time consuming this is.

They're Wizards fans just like you, and when they first started up, were taking considerable personal losses making road trips in the US and abroad.

When Wizards fans sometimes couldn't even get a match report, we still got a link to their collection of photos from the match. They've donated photography on many occasions to the Heart of America Soccer Foundation, the Cauldron and elsewhere.

Let's just drop the issue, agree that your blog has been a great addition for all Wizards fans, and move forward.

23. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, I think it will be fine to use YCJ photos, just credit them. They will have photos of pretty much every KC game

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess as to why Wade hasn't gone after the person that you got the picture from is because he didn't know they'd been doing it until you posted that comment in your blog. Now that you have, I'm sure they will get an email or comment as well from him. YCJ does publish their pictures online: http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/ And usually when they've been put online Andy or Wade will post a thread in the teams' forum with a link to those pictures. So it's not like people don't see the pictures, because they do.

The main reason why I think Andy and Wade are so short with people on this, is because people have been stealing their images for years and using them on their own. That's why all the watermarks have been added to the pictures over the years.

Wizards fans do see these pictures though, I know that the league has bought photos off of them over the years for different MLS events.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If anyone who is running a soccer related blog would like to enter into an agreement to license YCJ images for their blog. We now offer our images on a different site where our clients can download unwatermarked images.

Our licensing terms are fair and cheap for MLS fan blogs.

If any fan blogs are using YCJ images without express permission from me, Andy Mead, I would advise that they remove them immediately.

We have been friends of MLS fans, and especially Wizards fans, for many years. Don't ******** us because it's "just a hobby".