Out with the old... Jan 2019 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree. That was one amazing game, largely due to Ozil's brilliance. But why is it "ironic" for you.... of all people?

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A little harsh, but Gazidis brought in StatDNA and hired Sven Mislintat. And Wenger was the one who convinced Ozil to sign for Arsenal.

No one is saying that Gazidis and Wenger aren't culpable: I'm saying the situation is so dysfunctional right now that it makes them look good.

Pissing off a reputedly capable talent evaluator to sign Denis Suarez and Ever Banega? Wanting to use the Barcelona transfer approach at Arsenal? Changing your mind on Aaron Ramsey and Mesut Ozil after giving a reportedly extremely detailed plan for every player at the club?

That kind of stupidity makes Harry Redknapp-era Tottenham look competent.

Shen-O repped this.
  4. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, this. You have to think that at least before the events of this week that there has definitely been progress since the late Wenger era. And maybe the same even considering this week.

5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Also:

We're going to be mediocre for a while guys.

Shen-O, Fifty, Super Llama and 1 other person repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Is there any evidence StatDNA are actually good?

Or were they just ignored?

Fifty, DaPrince84 and Super Llama repped this.
  7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly StatDNA told us to buy Gabriel and Mustafi.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If StatDNA is telling the club to buy players, that's a bug in the process. The whole point of analytics is complement traditional scouting and make it better. It's not an either/or, it's an AND.

cooper7d7 and Shen-O repped this.
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We are used to it now

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Loan

11. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    People have short memories.

But David Dein wasn't the problem. He wanted to bring in someone who would invest in the club. He just got played. That story still cracks me up. He ended up getting booted from Arsenal for trying to bring in Kroenke who now owns the club. Then he tried to bring in another money man who spent a lot for his interest stake but got banned from the board. Now, Arsenal got stuck with someone who owns it but wont invest, which is the exact opposite of what Dein wanted.

Shen-O, crazy150 and DaPrince84 repped this.
  12. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    My question is whether Sven ever had a conversation with someone named Kroenke where he stated his case regarding his complaints and his intention to leave the club. Without having a particular knowledge of the situation, my guess is that they are just as blindsided as the rest of us.

13. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Would this all be different if we'd hired Arteta?

I think yes

Shen-O, mebeSajid and DaPrince84 repped this.
  14. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Honestly, where do you think we would be if Wenger and Gazidis still were in charge? Do you honestly think we would be better off than now??? Do you think our defense would have improved? Our players miraculously would have started playing better? We wouldn't have choked in the big games as usual? If so, what are you basing that on? The fans were heckling Wenger at home games during the end of his tenure. It was a complete disaster, and we watched that horror show for years.

Fifty repped this.
  15. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Even if he did, he would be talking to people who have no clue about football or players.

16. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Maybe, but he ought to be able to figure out the corporate politics involved and work it to our advantage as best as possible.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read yesterday's BBC article about Sven by the Ornacle. This kinda stood out:

18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Since when do company employees get to appeal to the shareholders about strategy?

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He wasn't the problem, but he brought the problem to us. He gambled and blew it.

mebeSajid and Super Llama repped this.
  20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It happens with closely held corporations, with the typical caveat that if you come at the king, don't miss.

I had to click "Show Ignored Content" to see what this was in response to. I see that the only time I chose to use the Ignore button, I chose correctly.

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dein also wanted to rent Wembley instead of building the Emirates. He did some good stuff at Arsenal, but a lot of stupid stuff too.

Losing him was a big setback though: he provided a needed counterweight to Wenger.

22. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    FYP

Didn’t he leave Dortmund bc Tuchel criticized his professionalism and failure to bring in some transfer.

The real gamble was before keoenke when the board decided to have ago at property development as a means of building the stadium and competing with united and Chelsea financially.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah something like that. There was definitely friction at Dortmund between him and coach. This could be repeating itself with our coach? Is there a pattern here?

TBF, you could say the same thing about a pattern repeating between Emery and his superstar player.

Both could be true.

The problem with all these things is there's just so much damn speculation. For once I would just love it if someone came out and openly said what shit was going down. Yeah right!

24. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the possibility that players with EU passports or work permits will suddenly not be eligible for employment in the UK?

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's the elephant in the room, isn't it?

Can't even process the implications of that: EU players would have to go through the same work permit process as everyone else, making it much harder to bring in foreign players? Would probably hurt the Premier League in the long term.

Part of me feels some perverse pleasure at seeing the British destroy themselves because of their own racism, especially after the horrors they unleashed elsewhere.

Fifty and DaPrince84 repped this.