Our Boy, Antoy: Adu and Aris in the Greek playoffs

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pass-n-Go, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Mate, if Cuper wanted him he would be in Austria with the other players. He clearly does no want him. Concerning not breaking the loan contract, this could be because either Benfica or Adu do not agree to break it, as there is noone who would pay for him more than we do. I hope that the management is not trying to force Cuper use another player he does not want (after Aravidis), when he is supposed to be in complete charge...

2. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    When nostalgos posts one knows what's coming. If Cuper didn't want him they wouldn't be in contract negotiations right now. Much of the team had to take a pay cut.

3. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right or, Aris is trying to tell Adu they don't want him a the current price, other players were also asked to take pay cuts.

I think the difference with Adu, is that he is a loan player and the negotiations are trickier. They can't just ask Adu for a pay cut, there are more permutations involved.

We don't really know what Cuper has said about Adu in reality just gossip rags so the actions will talk louder than any rag quotes. Lets see if he stays or leaves and believe what comes out of Cuper's mouth directly.

4. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Even if its true, Cuper will never say to a player that "i have you for the bench".
    In my opinion Cuper didn't deny Adu as a player but the package Adu-400.000-International spot.
    Now that 400.000 became 200.000 we ll just have to wait and see.

5. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Nostalgos

From where did you get that he was forced into keeping Aravidis? And Cuper agreed to bring Adu in January so he can dislike him as much as you are saying.

6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    if true, this is a terrible situation to be in.

you're willing to take a huge paycut to stay, but you're still on the outside looking in (on standby).

he should have his agents working the phone and find another club that WANTS him.

7. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well don't take that article very seriously. But that Aris is looking for other options too is pretty logical.

8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    i have to agreed. it's probably best that he kept his mouth shut on this topic. or at the very played the polical card

"it's extermely difficult to root against Ghana, but i hope our guys can pull through this and advanced"

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    through all of this, i hoped Adu had some direct and honest conversations with Cuper.

and all of the stuff that have been written are BS, no matter the outcomes.

10. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I find the part about Aris forcing Benfica to do something odd...didn't someone say something about the close relationship between the 2 clubs?

That's one of the reasons that I find this suspicious....if the relationship was that close, why wouldn't they just work out a deal with Benfica quietly behind closed doors. This public repudiation of Freddy has the stamp of both of his employers imo.

Who's the expert on loan deals? Aren't Aris obliged to pay him the entire 18 month deal? It does seem possible that Aris is stuck with the bill unless they make Freddy's life so miserable that he's willing to change the terms of the agreement.

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL This thread is getting dramatic, you can start feeling the hatred for Aris fans and Aris if this goes sour, and people are going to start talking bad about Aris and how they used Adu and bla bla bla, unless they decide to keep him.

Fact of the matter is, Adu isnt on the outside looking in rather, he is looked at as a good player off the bench or as a sub, but for his price they arent willing to put their full faith in him for that starting position. They want to find a good player to compete for that spot, like meriem.

Same goes with EJ, they just bought a Croatian striker, who is one of the top scorers and assist men in the league. He will replace campora and at the same time give EJ if he comes, a hard time becoming a out and out starter, and give him a fight for goals and starting position. Which in turn is good and keeps both players hungry.

I hope they keep Adu, because he has potential. But also with his lack of consistency on that left wing I hope they do find a good complient wing player to compete with Adu. If anything I dont think they will loose sleep if they dont keep adu because he showed many games of inconsistency. Javito would be better to keep around to play on the wing instead of freddy if that is the case.

12. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I don't think that's what happening. I certainly have no hatred for Aris fans. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I would also say, if Adu does not stay at Aris, criticism of how they handled this situation will absolutely be justified.

13. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a curiosity, but:

If Cuper and Aris are attempting to renegotiate Adu's contract, it stands to reason that Freddy wouldn't be able to be a part of the team. They'd be responsible for his health and Benfica's ability to do something with him if the negotiations broke down.

So, if Aris want him, but only at the wage they want to pay, then he needs to be apart from the team until Aris' responsibilities are settled.

Seems logical to me.

Any thoughts?

14. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best game of the cup coming up, Spain vs. Chile, this will be an entertaining match!!!

15. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Adu is practicing back in Thessaloniki. Some of you seem to think that he is locked in somewhere in Thessaloniki until they made their decision. Just take it easy, we will see in some days what's going to happen. We can't know what's going on now, it might be himself or his agent that is delaying the process.

16. gabbar

gabbar New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Maybe Benfica is holding things. Maybe they dont like to earn less. The spinmasters are at work.

17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This

18. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just don't reveal the score (but, yes, I did just watch it).

19. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    No hatred for Aris fans, but Aris doesn't seem to be honoring their contracts, do they? What's the point of a contract if one party can back out as soon as they think they have leverage over the other party....
    This is where I do think that US players are at a disadvantage. IMO, Benfica would have treated Freddy a lot better if there was a pipeline of phenoms behind him all ready to move to a European team. As it is, Freddy is a one-off. No one much even knows how he's treated.
    Same with Aris...maybe Freddy's management team is cursing Aris and swearing that they'll never sell so much as a slurpee to them again....but Aris doesn't need slurpees from the US and they probably don't need our players either.

20. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It happens in MLS ALLLLLL the time! Look at DC United for example, my team. They cut Franco Niell because he didnt show enough half way through his loan the summer of 2008.

Despite that, he went on back to leagues that are more suited for his size and style, and has excelled backhome in argentina and ecuador.

Heck, we might cut another player in Castillo of El Salvador, on a year loan from LEON of Mexico. He isnt worth all his hype.

Trust me, this happens EVERYWHERE.

Aris if anything took a chance in bringing him in at 400k because that is a TON for a team their size, and now for the value of 400k, he isnt worth that salary because he didnt establish himself as an out and out starter. What logistically does a team do at that point? Cut their losses that summer by cutting that 'not quite lived up to their hype' player, or work a way to keep him for ALOT less, if indeed he isnt a complete flop.

But at 400k thats like i said before in the top 5 salary of the whole team i'd imagine.

Loans are loans, even temporary workers that work at companys are never sure of their time at a job. They underperform, they are let go like the crappy temps that they are.

21. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    It said spoiler and you had to highlight it to reveal. when you quoted him you put it for everyone to see. you did the worse thing imo.

22. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    ^^
    New thread title? Freddy -- let go like the crappy temp that he is...:mad:

23. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu is being used. Time for him to go back to MLS and play every day.

24. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    look all over the world and you will see how the global financial crisis has affected everyone...

Adu is not worth 400k for a team like Aris. 400k is a lot and this salary would be for someone who will be indispensible to the club. Koke for example took a wage cut of 250k because he wanted to stay and now will have a contract of around 500k. Nacho and Neto did too.

First of all you have to make sure that you make the team survivable. Then you see value for money parameter. Cuper says how much is the max amount the team can spend for a player. If this exceeds that, then there are talks with the player or the team that owns the player.

Btw according to latest news, we proposed to buy EJ for 500K. We now wait for the answer of Fulham.. Hope they say yes.

25. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    So you think a business (that's what Benfica is) wants to pick up the other 200k just so they can make a person miserable? I think you are both underestimating how much 200k is and overestimating the amount of money Benfica has to throw around. That would be a ridiculous use of money. I'm sure they'd prefer to pay less and I'm betting they will but it won't be because of spite or altruism, it'll be a business decision.