Ottawa NASL in 2013 or 2014

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Kingston, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I know it's not new news but Ottawa city council has now passed the plan for the new stadium.

This article: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/2010/06/29/14551391.html

specifically mentions an NASL (or whatever it's called by then) team for the 2013 or 2014 season.

I'm still not convinced a 24 000 seat, turf football stadium is the best venue for a soccer team. That said, as a second tenant the soccer team's life won't depend on being able to pay the freight alone and the owners certainly have the money for NASL soccer. I think it could work if they treat the soccer team seriously and not just as an afterthought.

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nice to see. NCC will be up to five teams, keeping my hope alive of seeing it up to 8 by 2020.

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal
    Edmonton 2011
    Ottawa 2013
    Hamilton 2015 (CFL owners with a new stadium, much like Ottawa)

That gives you six.

If Edmonton prospers I'd have to think Calgary would be a logical choice. Given the support the Impact have seen at special matches there, Quebec would also seem to be a good venue. With Winnipeg as an alternative option, eight teams by 2020 is doable.

4. aulu87

aulu87 New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally disagree with the "bigger is better" concept. It's so annoying to see these enormous, cavernous stadiums devoid of fans. Look at the new Red Bull Arena. Buck Shaw Stadium is an EXCELLENT prototype that we (and other Canadian markets) should consider. A packed Buck Shaw looks 10x better on TV (and in person, atmosphere-wise) than a 3/4 empty Red Bull Arena.

I wish that we could convert the old Lynx stadium into a pitch like they do in Kansas City (KC Community Ball Park) or in Portland (PGE Park).

I think we need to be more realistic about what numbers we can get to games and big empty stadiums on match days are eyesores.

And while the CFL team would carry the NASL team during a rough economy, it's not good business practice to depend on that. Not to mention that the soccer team would most certainly be "an afterthought" in the eyes of that ownership group.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    In fairness, the stadium is being sized for the CFL team, not the NASL team.

Buck Shaw would be a good model for an NASL team with very solid fan support. For MLS it is actually too small because even sold out it doesn't generate enough revenue to support a team.

New York is actually averaging over 16 000 fans per game this year. Not a sell out but certainly not three quarters empty as you state.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25K seat stadium, 16K/25K = 64% full 36% empty

Actual numbers:

http://www.globalpost.com/webblog/s...ccer-2010-week-18-attendance-stats-amp-review

16,276/25,189 = 64%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_Arena_(New_Jersey)

Alu probably meant to say 1/4 empty 3/4 full.

7. TFC_MLS_2007

TFC_MLS_2007 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

if the CFL team has anything to do with a soccer franchise in Ottawa it will fail as the CFL is a league of wasting and losing money...Soccer does not need to be alligned with this type of disaster.. Ottawa needs a SSS for soccer alone and the Senators ownership group is the only one that
    could run a successful soccer franchise in Ottawa.

8. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    really? The CFL that's coming up on their 100th Grey Cup in a few years and generates a few million a year in league profits? They're wasting and losing money?

Having soccer clubs aligned with owners of other sports teams is the best way to go, and with football it makes sense since a common stadium means that they can work both teams from the same office (obviously not identical personnel, but a centralized approach will be better coordinated than a fragmented approach.)

Not to mention with a most likely stable CFL team, there will be money there to help the NASL club should they have troubles.

9. TFC_MLS_2007

TFC_MLS_2007 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

they said NLL clubs and NHL clubs aligned would be good for the sport of lacrosse..but it backfired the NLL has shrunk..and how many soccer fans
    want to watch the sport with gridirion lines, this became an issue at BMO
    as you may recall..it may hurt the sport more then any possible gain. I would love to see soccer in Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary if its run right..if its not then it just another blackeye for the sport in this country..

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    When were there ever gridiron football lines at BMO Field?

If Edmonton's new team flies I'd be more than happy to see it joined by CFL-backed clubs in Ottawa, Winnipeg, and Calgary. (As well as Hamilton.)

11. ortawa

ortawa New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    divison 2 soccer in cfl stadiums is a bad idea just like mls teams in nfl stadiums was a bad idea 15 years ago

12. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think he meant that the suggestion moving the Argos in put TFC fans up in arms

13. TFC_MLS_2007

TFC_MLS_2007 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

there was talk of the argos moving in and that would have had CFl lines on it IF it had happened...anything operated by the CFL is not good for soccer..The Ti Cats Lose $1 million a year according to Bob Young who owns the team..hows that going to help soccer in Hamilton?

14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The TiCats lose $1 million per year playing in a dilapidated stadium with a team that has driven away fans by sucking for the better part of a decade. With a new stadium (including the always popular luxury boxes) and a now resurgent team I suspect the TiCats will do fine.

A CFL-linked soccer team playing games in Hamilton is better than a stand-alone Hamilton team that only plays games in people's imaginations.

Put another way, 13 of 16 MLS teams each lose at least $1 million per year. How's that going to help soccer in those cities?

15. TFC_MLS_2007

TFC_MLS_2007 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

How is a team linked to a CFL team going to have and credibility from the soccer public who dont want soccer with gridirion lines, playing in the second level of north american soccer? Hamilon soccer would be better off
    supporting the Croatia in the CSL then a NASL/USL team that would be doomed to fail under the ti cats ownership group

16. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I agree, I doubt linking to a CFL team is the answer. If Ottawa is serious they'd be far better putting in a call to Montreal Impact or Vancouver Whitecaps and follow their blueprint. Its by no means a rousing success, but those clubs have proven what it takes to operate a USL-NASL team.

17. TFC_MLS_2007

TFC_MLS_2007 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    thanks..people here dont realize how badly the CFL is run..with the only profitable franchise in Regina with NO other pro sports competition..the
    only reason the CFL toronto argos stay aflot is thanks to BC lions owner
    who flushes money down that sink whole..Ottawa and a CSA link could work, Vancouver and Montreal will have MLS and reserve/academy teams
    Ottawa could learn from..BUt for the sake of our footie in this country
    NO to links with the CFL Ever,

18. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The TiCats owner is also half-owner of the NASL Rochester Rhino's if I'm not mistaken. I think the important thing isn't whether or not they're CFL owners, but their overall sports business.

For all we know, the guy knows soccer like the back of his hand and is just a football fan, not an expert.

19. KLR650

KLR650 Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There is so much nonsense in this one post, it makes me wonder...

...are you Lord_ofthe_TFC?

20. TFC_MLS__2007

TFC_MLS__2007 New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    NO I AM TFC_MLS_2007! I AM SMART!

your not smart because like the CFL IDIOTS your CANADIAN!

21. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Having an MLS team on the same playing field as a CFL team is exactly like what the Seattle Sounders share with the Seahawks and they never have gridiron lines there as far as I know. Where would you want the Ottawa team to play otherwise then? Lansdowne is a perfect venue downtown that is very accessible.

22. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Obviously, I preferred the Senators Sports & Entertainment Group's MLS proposal, but I think that this Ottawa Sports & Entertainment Group's NASL franchise will succeed if they market it correctly. It's really a no brainer for them because they'll control the stadium, and it's not like there will be a lot of overlap between the NASL and CFL fanbases.

The biggest hurdle for both franchises IMO will be the lack of parking and access to rapid transit for the stadium.

Of course, none of this will see the light of day if the court challenge is successful (starts tomorrow):

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Lansdowne+showdown+begin+Tuesday+afternoon/4977822/story.html