Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was not present for the SSV/Garber meeting at the Fairmont, but I was present for the next meeting when SSV sat down with Wolff for breakfast at the Fairmont. (That is when Don G. suggested directly to Wolff that he seriously consider a deal with San Jose State for a stadium).

That breakfast was when I first saw the real businessman Lew Wolff (rather than the sweet grandfatherly media image I had read about). Don sat directly opposite Lew, while I was at the end of the table. During a pause in their conversation I piped up and said something about the potential negative effect on attendance and the local fanbase if the Quakes delayed their return too long.

Lew slowly turned his head to the right, and locked his eyes directly on, and through, me. In a cold voice, he said, "Don't try to scare me."

The head resumed its original position, the voice returned to normal, the eyes relaxed, and he went back to his previous discussion.

Like Don, I do not know about any previous Wolff/Garber communications, but in a conversation I had at a much later date with a Quakes executive, the executive strongly implied that Wolff and the League had decided Wolff would come in, and it was not SSV's doing.

I inferred that this person did not want to publicly say this or try to disabuse anyone of the notion that SSV was responsible in some way. I took this to mean that it was merely not an important topic for the franchise as to what fans might think, or not think, about this. It would be counterproductive or petty to debate such a thing publicly, and that wouldn't be good business.

The Quakes website has a "History" section. It reads:

2006: THE REBIRTH BEGINS
    On May 24, Lew Wolff, principal owner of the Oakland Athletics, purchased an exclusive option to acquire an MLS team and bring professional soccer back to the Bay Area. David Alioto was named the Executive Vice President of the San Jose Earthquakes.

2007: THE EARTHQUAKES RETURN
    On July 18, Lew Wolff activated an option for the rights to the San Jose Earthquakes and Major League Soccer granted them a new expansion team. The club started to take shape on Oct. 3, when John Doyle was named General Manager of Soccer Operations. On the same day, the Earthquakes unveiled their new uniforms and team logo.

Beerking, TyffaneeSue and falvo repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What is it with rich guys wanting to hold meetings at their own hotels? :)

DotMPP and NedZ repped this.
  4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Because it’s free! :thumbsup:

6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Reading about the suffering of fellow soccer fans...needs a trigger warning, hankie might be required

7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Only a problem if public funds are involved.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This tied the Premier League record for largest margin of victory. (ManU 9-0 over an Ipswich Town side that featured defender Frank Yallop that day.)

On a landmark night, Leicester also:

• recorded the biggest ever victory by an away side in an English top-flight league match in the 131-year history of the Football League
    • inflicted Southampton's biggest ever defeat as an English league side in all competitions in their history
    • became only the second team in Premier League history to establish a five-goal lead in the first half of an away game in the competition, after Manchester City against Burnley in April 2010 (also 5-0)
    • became only the second side in Premier League history to have two players score a hat-trick in the same game (Perez and Vardy), after Arsenal in May 2003 - also against Southampton (Pennant and Pires)

9. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    More suffering in LA too:

Apparently they feel the league is biased towards their favorite teams. Man, it must really be rough for them and their small team.

DotMPP, NedZ, TyffaneeSue and 5 others repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]
    Galaxy fan tears are so salty and tasty!

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How about Christian Pulisic with a hat trick? I thought Americans couldn't play soccer?

Chelsea fans are chanting USA!

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Remember when Matias was crucified for getting into it with an LAFC fan while leaving the pitch down there? There will be a three game suspension for Zlatan, right? Right?

Beerking repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There won’t be a ban for Zlatan but it won’t matter anyway because he is going to Europe. Balotelli’s 4 game ban in France’s Ligue 1 was carried over to the Serie A now that he is with Brescia but I doubt that UEFA cares about what happens in a USSF sanctioned MLS....

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    KQED is showing Chinatown this evening. Fantastic flick. Highly recommend it for young folks who want to understand the game of soccer.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #8441 falvo, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    [​IMG]

Quakes05 repped this.
  17. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A Sports Business Daily December 16, 2005 article "Earthquakes Move to Houston" ( https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...tle-Roll-MLS-Earthquakes-Move-To-Houston.aspx ) describes Garber's public announcement of the relocation, and implies some direct discussion between Garber and Wolff had already taken place:

"Garber said A’s Owner Lewis Wolff has “expressed interest in investing in MLS in the Bay Area.” Wolff said that owning both the A’s and the Earthquakes “had business benefits, but would say nothing about the notion that having a soccer team in San Jose could be tied to the relocation of the A’s.” Wolff, referring to the MLB Giants’ claim that San Jose is part of their market, said, “I’m going to comply with [MLB] rules.” Meanwhile, Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment President Greg Jamison said that while the company “passed on the same proposal now open to expansion owners, he’s open to restarting the conversation.” Jamison: “The team that AEG owns is no longer on the table.” He added that there was “simply not enough time to resolve many issues” regarding the sale of the existing franchise (SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS, 12/16/05). "

Antonio2020 repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #8444 bsman, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    I think it's extremely smart to have celebrity owners with even a small stake in a club, because these folks can bring much greater media exposure and publicity to a team. Or, you could simply spend more money to buy the exposure and publicity. Or, like Fisher, you could simply sit pat, not promote your team to any significant extent, not engage with local and national media, and simply be content to sit passively by and let other, more ambitious owners build the value of your team indirectly.

20. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Fisher moniker: "Wave Rider"

bsman repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Eff L. A.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can't believe I'm rooting for Seattle

mjlee22 and don gagliardi repped this.
  23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually kinda torn since while I'm rooting for Seattle over Los Angeles as a city, I'm rooting for Banc of California Stadium :inlove: over CenturyLink Field as an MLS venue.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

24. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
  25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, could be Atlanta except I'm not rooting for them. (Feeling optimistic now that I've rooted for the winning team one game in a row.)