Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Stu Holden is a great guy and a credit to American soccer. But to me, players should have achieved at least a moderate amount of fame on the field before being even nominated for a hall of fame.

Is Bobby Convey on his deathbed or something? I know he was extremely sick one year ago with severe asthma.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is probably a better thread to continue this thought....

MLS , since 1996, has made incredible strides. When I think about all the leagues I’ve seen come and go in the last 40 years,the NASL1, ASL, USL1, (indoor) MISL/MSL, NPSL,CISL, WSA, WSL,ASL2, APSL, A-League ,SISL, SOSL, USISL, USL, PDL, NPSL2 and the NASL2, I can’t help but shake my head.

Looking back 25-30 years ago, we had the amateur Quakes 2 on their last legs, a new team named the Blackhawks playing in high school stadiums around the Bay Area and other groups called the Nomads, Heat , Condors, and the Kickers. If someone told me then we would have a thriving 22 team league with new stadiums , our new Avaya , sellouts in Seattle and Atlanta, or for that matter, two teams in NY & LA, I will have thought they were crazy.

To say many of the league’s moves through the years haven’t been borderline illegal if not crooked is an understatement. The USA not making the World Cup was a minor setback and that hindered things a little but I don’t think it will have a lasting effect on the league.

Maybe they don’t pay great salaries or have the great skillful players like other Latin American and European teams have. As far as stability and growth that has been made in such a short period of time, and comparing them to the growth other leagues around the world have made during the same timeline, I must say that MLS has had the best progress. Very few teams in La Liga , EPL , Serie A and the Bundesliga are thriving and can boast their own stadia. Many relegation dweller clubs can barely make ends meet to pay their dues or players salaries. I don’t believe that is the case among the majority of MLS clubs. I’m not sure about the Crew’s situation but I mostly think Precourt is trying to leverage a better deal for himself more than the team not making it on its own. To sum it up though , if the next decade is anything what the last 10-15 have been, there is no telling where MLS can go.

Goodsport, MtnGardener and bsman repped this.
  3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Falvo, for a post at 2:53am, that was amazingly optimistic. My view of the world at three in the morning tends to be decidedly less generous.

[​IMG]

Beerking and DotMPP repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’ve been up since midnight....I have had North American soccer on my mind most of my entire life....

It worth re-stating but I was the very first fan to arrive at the inaugural MLS game to watch the Clash vs DC game on Saturday April 6th, 1996. I had more fun that day than any of the World Cup final matches I attended two years earlier.

As much as we criticize MLS and despite its many faults, I’m actually very happy how the league has grown. As far as the Quakes and their horrible record since 2008 are concerned, that is another story.

mjlee22, bsman, DotMPP and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. ;)

Agreed on the overall post, though. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I re-read it but what part did you fix?

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current number of MLS teams. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I forgot that new LA team....

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about that. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

11. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I agree with that take-away. MLS is trying to balance along many lines. They definitely don't get it right 100%, but you don't have to know any details to know that is true because it is always true of everything. The league is doing well. The teams are doing well. The rising tide is lifting all the CONCACAF boats, which complicates things as a USMNT or Canadian team fan, since our qualification opponents benefit at least as much as we do. The USMNT not qualifying does not reflect negatively on MLS.

Watching MLS soccer so far this season it is clear that the product is getting better. The number of unwatchable games is low. The only one I have truly gagged on so far this year was Revs-Rapids (and there are maybe 5 games I didn't watch). But the Montreal-Toronto game that just ended? It was excellent. And more and more games fall into that category. The product is good and getting better. So congrats to MLS. But the work isn't done, and even when the work is "done" and MLS is a top league, they'll still make mistakes and still need their critics/fans to keep them honest.

12. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m watching ATLvVAN on mls live right now. VAN went down a man in the 20+ minute, and it looks like an ATL shooting gallery. Score is only 1-0 right now at HT but if this continues, it looks like ATL will be back in pile-on mode as it was in the beginning of last season.

13. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    And what did you think of the red card/pk? I mean, he did elbow him, but it didn't look intentional and it was _cerrtainly_ embellished. It seemed more of a height difference thing. But they did seem to have a great angle for it, they were showing the same two bad angles over and over.

14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t find it, but a few days ago someone tweeted a video of a defender running behind the attacker, then bending his head to the guy’s elbow and falling down. No call, fortunately.

Strange I can’t find the original tweet. I swear I retweeted it too. If something gets deleted off twitter, is there no record that you replied to, liked, or retweeted it?

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    FIFA will allow VAR at World Cup!

FIFA gives VAR the green light for 2018 World Cup - CNN
    CNN.com › edition › sport › fifa...

VAR will be used at Russia 2018 World Cup, FIFA confirm ...
    Sky Sports › football › news › var.

MtnGardener repped this.
  16. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  17. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.
  18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The next referee I meet who respects Dempsey will be the first. Wondo has a reputation for being an A-hole on the field, but a nice guy as soon as the final whistle blows, and the refs all know that. OTOH, Dempsey is just an A-hole plain and simple, and he is not at all well-liked.

19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Douche needs another game tacked on to his suspension for the sarcastic clapping.

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Will LA have to enlarge their locker room to contain all the egos?

Beerking repped this.
  21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict Zlatan scores no more than 4 goals this season, either due to injury, suspensions, turf allergy, or lack of service.

Beerking repped this.
  23. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5649 GrayBeard, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Just crazy...LA Glam is heading toward an implosion of epic proportions.

Beerking repped this.
  24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States