Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

DotMPP repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Root for the Quakes?

SoccerMan94043, Earthshaker and JazzyJ repped this.
  3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do what I'll be doing - cheering for the most under-doggiest dogs ever:

[​IMG]

mjlee22 repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The way I feel now, I won't watch anything until the semifinals....

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Italy in the FIFA World Cup for the first time since 1958 and no USA for the first time since 1986. :eek:

From 1990 to 2016, I've always had USA and Brazil in the World Cup to root for, but Russia's and Ukraine's appearances have been on-and-off during that span (Russia qualified in 1994, 2002 and 2014; Ukraine qualified in 2006; neither qualified in 1998 and 2010).*

I'll still have Russia and Brazil to root for this time around, but USA not qualifying this year still stings. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]
    GO USA!!! [​IMG]

-G

* They also qualified in 1990 as the USSR, but I never rooted for them when they were the USSR.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Simon Elliot and the Kiwis eliminated Italy in 2010 as he was man of the match. This right after he was cut from our Quakes squad....

jetdog9 repped this.
  8. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite part of this is Italy got beat at their own game, all defense and counter; once that option was gone, it seemed over. I think Dom might be Italian at heart ;)

JazzyJ repped this.
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, though I wouldn't blame Columbus Crew SC fans one bit if their team ends up getting moved and they subsequently have no desire to watch the upcoming FIFA World Cup, or any other soccer for that matter.

In fact, I felt exactly the same way when the San Jose Earthquakes were moved in December 2005. It was only when I read the news of Lew Wolff and John Fisher signing their discounted expansion option for the resurrected San Jose Earthquakes in the spring(?) of 2006 did just enough of that soccer passion return for me in time to watch the 2006 World Cup (but still filled with just enough schadenfreude to not be too broken up about the AEG-hyped Baby Judas led USMNT falling flat on its face in that tournament).

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]
    GO USA!!! [​IMG]

-G

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'll always do that but they won't be playing during the World Cup I don't believe.

11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2017-11-14_7-29-38.jpeg
    upload_2017-11-14_7-30-12.jpeg

and maybe......
    [​IMG]

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    DotMPP repped this.
  13. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Seriously?!?! I watch every WC game I can, regardless of whether I have a particular "stake" in the game or not. If I took your approach, I would have missed a LOT of spectacular games, like Chile vs Spain in 2016, etc., etc. I believe the World Cup is best viewed as an opportunity to see the very finest in international football, not as simply another forum for the display of crass nationalism and division. Of course, others may hold valid, differing opinions.

Beerking repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yep. WC is great theater. Many nations from around the world to watch and play the game, so much riding on every game, the greatest players on display. The world's greatest sporting event IMHO.

bsman repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe I may get into it then....depends on the groups and matchups....

bsman repped this.
  16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That’s the spirit! Some stuff that happens during the WC is better than anything Hollywood could come up with.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its always better than listening to all the sports networks makeup false meaningless stories.....

18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Go England!

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Academica Soccer Club Joins the NPSL

The National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) is proud to announce that Academica Soccer Club (Turlock, CA) has joined the league as an expansion team. The club will compete in the West Region’s Golden Gate Conference.

“We are proud to see our league continue to grow in the West,” NPSL Chairman Joe Barone commented. “California has always been known as a hotbed for great soccer and we are excited to have the NPSL coming to Turlock. We’re very confident that Academica will be a tremendous addition to the Golden Gate.”

Academica is run by a board of directors, some of whom were present when the club was founded over 40 years ago. The NPSL team will be led by head coach Sergio Sousa and Director of Public Relations Michael Rocha. Sousa has been with the club for over 15 years and is also an assistant coach for the men’s soccer program at UC Merced. Rocha is one of the Portuguese play-by-play commentators with the San Jose Earthquakes.

“Academica Soccer Club has always made it a point to play in a competitive league since its inception,” Rocha said. “The NPSL is one of the fastest growing leagues in the U.S. and no one can doubt its quality. We are excited about the growth of not just the league but of the sport throughout the country. We want to be a part of that. We want to be part of something special.”

The club was started in 1972 in Turlock, California. Portuguese immigrants from the Azores Islands created the Portuguese Cultural Center in Turlock in 1970 and started the team for the youth of the community. Since then, the club has become the most successful amateur club in area. Players from the club have gone on to compete at numerous colleges, both locally and throughout the country.

“We’re expecting to compete from day one,” Rocha continued. “We want to give our community something that it can rally around and provide a quality product that our fans can be proud of. We believe with the experience of playing in the NPSL and other national leagues that some of our players have, we will be a competitive team from the start.”

Academica joined the Central California Soccer League (CSSL) in 1977. The club has competed in the CCSL for over 30 years and won three championships during that span. The team then moved onto the NorCal Adult Soccer League in 2013. It reached the final of the league that season. The team reached the final again in 2016. The team entered in its first U.S. Open Cup tournament this year where it advanced to the second round of Open Qualifying. The team has also won numerous Portuguese club tournaments all over the state.

“We bring a storied tradition to the league,” Rocha commented. “Being a well-known club in the valley, we have always attracted top talent from the area. We are the San Joaquin Valley’s only NPSL team. We take pride in representing our area and I think you will see that on the pitch come game time.”

Home matches will be played at Academica Field.
    “Academica Field is situated out in the rural area of Turlock, California,” Rocha concluded. “Surrounded by cattle and corn fields, our field embodies what the Central Valley is known for worldwide. We take pride in the quality of our natural grass pitch and have been upgrading our facilities in order to provide fans a unique stadium experience. It has seen games of all types, ranging from foreign club friendlies to US Open Cup matches. Members on our board built this field and we are proud to call it home for over 30 years.”

Academica also has a successful affiliation with Turlock Tornadoes SC and many of that club’s teams train and play at Academica facilities. Academica is also affiliated with the Our Lady of the Assumption Parish in Turlock.

More information about the club can be found by following them on Twitter (@academicasc), Facebook (@academicasc), and Instagram (@academicaturlock).

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    don gagliardi and Beerking repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    mjlee22 repped this.
  23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw that article in the mls app

24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Watching Brazil get absolutely thrashed by Germany in their own house went beyond drama, it went into soap opera territory, and I loved it.

tectonicnight and falvo repped this.
  25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Isn't FOX broadcasting the genuine WC? With Italy, Ireland and the US out and playing in Russia with their plastic fields, viewership is bound to be down so they have to recoup their losses somehow.

I don't know what's worse, plastic pitches or Vuvuzellas. :D