News: Other Team's News III [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was posted in another thread, but:

Toronto FC to hire Preki as new head coach

Also included is that Amado Guevara may be on the trading block, since Preki traded him from Chivas to Toronto, and they are crowded at that position.

I don't think SN would be interested, but an AM of that caliber sure could help the Revs.

2. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how does it make the jersey 'more authentic'? that is retarded.

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree the Revs would benefit from Amado Guevara at AM, if only Nicol would adapt. He even has a fun revolutionary themed name - Amado "Che" Guevara ;)

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monty, as usual you miss my point. I see having a shirt sponsor putting money into the team a good thing and have never said differently.

Go back to where and why my post was made. My question was---if someone bought a shirt and later the team got a shirt sponsor---why would one want to go back and have them add the sponsors logo? I hear and understand someone saying it makes the shirt more authentic. I don't agree. My teams shirt is about the team--not the company sponsoring the team. I would rather not go around as a walking advertisement, esp if i have little liking for the product and would never have the sponsors logo on my shirt unless i had no alternative..

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who missed whose point? ;)

6. rorvis

rorvis New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    UT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Check your numbers here. 3000 tiks per game seems crazy, for a company with 500+ employees (# from LinkedIn). My guess is they might have a conference once per year, so this is a one game boost maybe. (The 3000 may include world-wide distributors too though)

I hope this 3000 person boost is not why they get sponsors!

7. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the jersey that the actual players are wearing has a large corporate logo on the front and the one I am wearing does not, then then one that I am wearing is by definition less authentic to the real jersey.

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    It would be a stupid question if I knew that the money went directly to the club. I hadn't heard that the money didn't go right back to MLS/Garber. Isn't that who is signing the sponsorship agreement?

From what you are saying, it sounds like teams are free to raise arbitrarily large sums of money from whatever source they please, to spend on whatever they want - scouting, development, signing inducements, training - anything but actual player salaries. This is kind of a key point, since if Mike Burns gets wind of the next Fredy Montero, he can say: "If you sign with us instead of Red Bull, we'll subsidize a sponsorship contract, and pay for an apartment and a car."

Even if it just paid for pizza lunches for interns, it just doesn't make sense to me that Rev management would turn down free money. As many have pointed out, it's not like there aren't local corporations that would pay something.

9. Straps

Straps Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Xango has WAY more employees than 500. They are a pyramid scheme so technically each person who sells is an independent distributor just like Amway. Officially they may only have 500. They fly these people out and give them the tickets as bonuses when they sell a certain level. I can tell you that the person I know in NH was one who was flown out and he said that they attend all these marketing conferences and then they are thanked by going to the game - and he did say that they were there with 3,000 others so I don't think it is that crazy. I don't think it is so important as to say that this is just a one shot deal so the name on the shirt is not a good idea. The person I met has begun to watch RSL and follow them now because it is associated with his product... and he uses it as a selling point when he is trying to sell his stuff. Also... do you remember when NY came and they had a special tent set up in the E parking lot for Red Bull employees in New England? (Unfortunately they got into a fight with the Red Bull supporters from NY when they tried to enter their tent and get free grub). On a smaller scale they were doing the same thing.

10. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/58479
    (Bolding mine)

So MLS takes a small portion of the revenue for whatever reason, but the teams keep a nice 3/4 chunk. Sign a 1 million dollars/year deal, Kraft gets $750,000 to put into marketing or whatnot every year. I know people are skeptical that any business would drop a million bucks on the Revs, but that is pocket change for most major businesses.

If Kraft isn't going to open his wallet for this team, the least he could do is get a sponsor to open their wallets for him!

11. Straps

Straps Member

Nov 7, 2005
    And not that I want to tout the benefits of Xango because I have never tasted or used it but..

Revenue
    XanGo is a privately held company and as such does not publicly disclose its financial statements. Company press releases in 2005-2006 stated that sales totalled $40 million in 2003 and $150 million in 2004,[4] and that 2005 sales were more than twice those of 2004.[5] In October 2007 the company said that cumulative sales since its inception five years earlier were over $1 billion and by November 2008 had exceeded $1.5 billion.[6]

XanGo now operates in 28 countries throughout the world and has over one million distributors.[7]

Financial sponsorships and contributions
    In November 2006, Xango LLC became the official corporate jersey-front sponsor of the Real Salt Lake, a MLS soccer team based in Salt Lake City, Utah for four years, at a cost of between $500,000 and $1 million per year.[8] In 2006, the company made a 5-year, $1 million grant to an Orem, Utah arts council for naming rights to what is now called the "XanGo Grand Theater".[9] XanGo LLC has been the top contributor to the political campaign of Utah Senator Orrin Hatch, contributing $47,200 in 2008 and $46,700 in 2006, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.[10][11]

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league takes a small flat amount, the rest goes to the team to spend however they'd like, including salaries, as long as they keep under the cap.

So yes, this is why many of us have been saying for a long time that it's stupid that they don't have a sponsor. It's a terrible business decision.

Here's more on that, from the Sports Business Journal website by Noah Lieberman last March.
    Also
    I found this on the Pittsburgh sports gazette site:
    Hope this helps clarify.

13. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, for what it's worth, the Revs were the only playoff team without a jersey sponsor, and we were definitely the worst team in there. LA has largest sponsorship deal, and they are looking like MLS Cup champions. So while it may seem like a stretch, I am willing to say the jersey sponsor == MLS Cup.

The LA formula is really quit simple. Bring in a massive player, who brings you massive media coverage, which lets you sign a massive jersey sponsor, which brings in massive revenue, which makes your team massive, and win the massive MLS Cup. The owners make money, the sponsor gets great amount of exposure, the fans get to celebrate a winning team, and players get paid. Everyone wins, everyone is happy. :D

14. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Zippy the Pinhead once said.... "I don't feel complete without a huge logo festooning my chest."

15. Straps

Straps Member

Nov 7, 2005
    I also found this on the Xango press release:

Real Salt Lake Partnership
    The convention came to a close with more than 3,000 XanGo distributors attending the Major League Soccer match against the XanGo-sponsored Real Salt Lake and the Colorado Rapids. The game was not only the regular season finale for both squads, but also the third game of the Rocky Mountain Cup, a series of games between inner-conference rivals. Distributors donned the Real Salt Lake (RSL) jersey featuring the XanGo name on its front as they cheered on RSL to a 3-0 victory over their rivals, the Colorado Rapids. The win clinched RSL’s second consecutive playoff berth, as they prepare to face the Columbus Crew in a two-match stint beginning this Saturday on RSL’s home field.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must spread rep haha awesome, although I thought Columbus had already trademarked all use of the word "massive" within the US borders? ;)

17. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
  18. rorvis

rorvis New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    UT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Thanks, that does clarify that this was a one game boost only, again not a big deal in the big picture, but I was wrong on the 500 count. If teams were only concerned about boosting attendance at a single game, they wouldn't get a sponsor, they would have LA come to town...

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why it's been so damn annoying that the team hasn't done this yet.

20. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Turns out the LA/Houston Western Conference Final was the most viewed MLS game in ESPN2 history, looks like somebody was wrong.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20091117&content_id=7679770&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Get ready for Friday night soccer.

23. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a517dogg, how's it feel to be a complete and utter failure at reality?

25. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you a nielsen home?