Other MLS games and Teams/Players [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by UcIceD2011, Jul 22, 2012.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Apparently MLS has higher average home field advantage than most leagues. It averaged 0.88 ppg from 2013-2017. But it varies by year and appears to be growing (from .81 in 2013 to 1.06 ppg in 2017). And it varies by team, with Dallas having largest average hfa over time. Galaxy hfa average = .88, same as league as a whole. Further breakdown: Galaxy averaged 1.91ppg at home vs 1.02ppg on road (1.91-1.08=.88 due to rounding).

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting...ween-mls-and-european-soccer/AU3JHNJTZ9APNRQN

The Cadaver, mbar and TrickHog repped this.
  2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy shit Ponzuelo’s debut for TFC tonight. Do yourself a favor and go find hilights now.

galvanator, skydog, MPNumber9 and 5 others repped this.
  3. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Everything I always expecting from Gio..

4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You cut your expectations of him short. It should have been "Gio-vinco".

Beirut and mbar repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wow. Now that is a #10! Those chip passes were heavenly.

ShortyMac, TrickHog and mbar repped this.
  6. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Now that we’ve parted ways with Gio I don’t need to disparage the guy. He had his moments. I recall a similar sick chip against Rimando.

7. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC 7-1 Impact
    SJE 0-5 LAFarceC

:eek:

TrickHog repped this.
  8. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaps between haves and have-nots growing in MLS?

TrickHog repped this.
  9. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I’m willing to let this Pozuelo guy make a name for himself, but I’ll never not feel bitter against Gio for half-assing his way to $20 million.

The Cadaver, TrickHog and TOAzer repped this.
  10. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think the league needs to deincentivize losing more then they do now. Since relegation is out, teams that are consistently not competitive should be penalized financially. Two examples:
    1. Set a league minimum salary guideline equal to the current cap plus all TAM (including discretionary TAM) and current year GAM. Teams that don't make the playoffs and don't pay 80% of that amount will pay an additional 5% in their contribution to league coffers the following season.
    2. Teams failing to make the playoffs more than twice in a rolling 5 years will need to pay 2% of the league's most recent expansion fee to the league (currently $3mm). Failure to make the playoffs twice in 7 years will result in a 5% fine. At 10 years the fine will double to 10%.

11. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ran into a a few LAFC supporters at a pub this afternoon. One guy was too busy instagramming his beer and lunch to watch the game. The other guy was too busy vaping outside to watch any of the first 3 goals.

o_O

cleschke, ShortyMac, Beakmon FC and 3 others repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog’s Bold Prediction of the Week— Tomorrow no players from San Jose or Montreal will be put on the MLS Team of the Week.

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The league is already starting to shift more into a more money focused game.

San jose has been bad for years due to their terrible owners. They are not spending money, and it seems like their team hasn't changed in a few years, but those players are much older now and declining. San Jose will likely repeat with the wooden spoon.

Other teams like Vancouver, Montreal, Colorado, Orlando, and New england are in a dangerous spot. Their teams just are not competitive for years now. Owners need to inject some life in their teams and sign some quality players, but they are not willing.

skydog repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #8489 skydog, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Many smaller market professional teams in NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL have gone the Happy-Ending-Craft-Revs route. Just take their share of the TV contracts, don't spend on salaries, screw the fans, make money. I was reading a story the other day how in the 60's (?) one MLB owner not only gutted his own team (they would come in last place, 25+ games behind second to last), he also colluded with the Yankees to sign good players and then give them to the Yankees on the cheap.

No relegation, no penalty for tanking. And in smaller markets owners may make more that way than if they tried to build a great team, simply because their ceiling is lower. Smaller markets have to hope for mega-rich owners that love to win.

shelbo and Skevin repped this.
  15. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think this is a historical truth that has very little relevance in 21'st century sports. Yes this might have been true in 1976 Charlie Finley owned the A's and tried to blow up his team prior to the advent of free agency, but it is hard to find a major sports club that doesn't have a deep pocketed owner with his hands in the public trough to some degree. To me, bad owners are just bad owners especially in leagues like MLS with revenue sharing.

I also don't find that MLS results tie to TV market size. Example Chicago which meets my criteria for being one of the worst managed MLS teams, is in the number 3 media market. The almost as bad Union, Earthquakes and (those renowned cheapskates} the Revolution are in the #4 #8 and #9 market sizes respectively. Meanwhile the Crew (#34), Sporting KC (#32) and RSL (#30) are all punching way above what their media market would project. You could even say that for Portland (#22) and Seattle (#13).

By the way, my recollection was that the 1955 - 1960 A's owned by Arnold Johnson (who owned Yankee stadium) had a reputation for giving away players to the Yankees (see Roger Maris among others).

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern will be playing Arsenal the Home Depot center... I mean stubhub...er Dignity something. Got tickets to that

Skevin repped this.
  17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not sure what taking from the public trough has to do with anything. Yes they all do that to whatever extent they can get away with.

All major sports leagues in US have revenue sharing. And the bad owners you mention are what I'm talking about.

Market size is more tied to club salary spending than results. The five biggest payrolls in MLS last season were Toronto, LAG, NYCFC, CHI, LAFC. COL fielded a good team but were 20th out of 24 in payroll. But you are right, some smaller market teams spend a lot. Portland for example had 6ht largest payroll.

Yeah, that was the one I was talking about. Couldn't remember the detail, just the gist of the story.

18. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zlatan should play on all the turf fields but not at Yankee stadium

20. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Not gonna lie, LAFC are looking like earlier favorites for MLS Cup. Just went to the Eastern Conference leaders and thumped them.

WarGalaxy and skydog repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    For a league of parity this is getting pretty damn ridiculous. In the Western Conference there are five teams below the playoff line. They have played 23 games.

Over those 23 games they have 1 win, 17 losses, 5 ties and a -37 goal differential!

Wtf??

MPNumber9 repped this.
  22. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you noted the error in the standings posted on the league web site? They forgot to put the "eliminated from playoffs" symbol next to San Jose.

cleschke, hav77, ragbone and 5 others repped this.
  23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leave it to DC to choke big time. That's why there is only one team with 5 stars above its crest. Can't trust lower folk to do the work of kings. We'll have to squash this rabble personally like win we gave them their first loss ever as a club last year.

24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to crap the bed, SKC. Another miss for CCL. Sigh.

skydog, TOAzer and TrickHog repped this.
  25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    LAFC is scary good. They are clicking, and got their first season mistakes fixed.

They've made some good pick ups too. They have a few hardish matches in their next 5 so lets see how they do.

WarGalaxy and Bilgediver repped this.