Other MLS games and Teams/Players [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by UcIceD2011, Jul 22, 2012.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This is off the top of the head with almost no research (other than looking at an MLS article) but so far this is shaping to be an extremely ho-hum off season for MLS. Who are the (expected to be) best players and/or biggest names coming into the league? No famous names that I know of. By famous I mean a player that a non-soccer aficionado might have heard of. Pity Martinez for Atlanta is probably the biggest league signing, right?

Then there are some (mostly young) promising players coming in that aren't known outside their league but are in the $1mil to $2mil range on transfermarkt:
    DCU gets Lucas Rodriguez a young promising Argentine winger.
    FCC gets "Tico Kante" aka Alan Cruz a young Costa Rican midfielder,
    We get Polenta. Yummy....
    MUFC has been active adding a new DP Slovakian born central midfielder Jan Gregus, former Reims right back Romain Metanire and gk Agustin Rossi Boca on loan (a starter for Boca, supposedly $12mil to buy!)

But many of the teams are struggling to hold onto the stars they have. And several teams like CHI, NER (of course), MTL, etc. are doing nothing except getting older.

I guess this was the purpose of TAM, CAM etc - to build the mid-level player quality. And I know a lot of bigger name players come in during the summer.

But does MLS expect any big name signings before this season starts? For MLS PR purposes it matters a lot, I think. We need mainstream clicks. And it seems like the league has always gotten a few headliners to start the season. Hell LAG usually checks off that box by itself. How long has it been since we've had zero big name signings in the off season?

TOAzer, The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Atlanta have 4 DPs
    Almiron
    Barco
    Martinez
    Pity

Almiron has had no luck on securing a transfer. They won't buy out becuase the plan was to spend big to flip. They have to get a transfer over the line or find a loan destination. Time is ticking

TrickHog and Geneva repped this.
  3. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This sounds eerily familiar

4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Difference is we have the option to buy Gio's contract out. Atlanta won't. They bought him for the purpose of reselling. He holds too much value.

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. They can't buy out Almiron and let me leave on a free.

6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like us, they're in a bad negotiating situation since everyone knows Almiron needs to move, yet they still think they can get Newcastle to spend twice as much as they ever have on a transfer fee for him. Good luck with that. Whatever the most embarrassing outcome for ATL is, I hope that's what happens. It's the least they deserve for daring to put hands on our Cup.

See what kind of crap happens when we suck for a couple years? They just let any jackanape take Cups home. Shit, NYRB almost made it to a final.

7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I can't hate on ATL. I give enormous credit for what their ownership group has been able to do in a such a short time. They have raised the bar for MLS franchises in terms of attendance, on field product and local marketing to fans. It's not ATL's fault that our owners don't seem to care about us any more or that the Galaxy President can make so many, many bad decisions and still have his job.

Bottom line is I don't wish ill on ATL -- I just want the Galaxy to get better. A hell of a lot better.

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  8. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My guess is ATL loans out Barco to a team in Europe or Argentina for the season. That would make them roster compliant and give Almiron a chance to drive his price tag back up.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #8409 skydog, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    I think this is all brinkmanship negotiation but a deal will likely will get done in the next few days. Newcastle is offering $20mil and ATL is asking $30mil. Benitez really, really wants and needs Almiron - his team is only 2 pts out of the relegation zone. Splitting the diff at $25 mil would be a win/win: ATL gets a very good pay day and Newcastle gets much needed reinforcements.

Edit: Read a few comments from Newcastle supporters who all agree their owner is trying to run the club on the cheap so deal may not happen. Still wondering why an owner would risk relegation - that has to be VERY costly for both revenue and club sell on value. Any of you UK expats have a ballpark guess what staying up for a club like Newcastle is worth in $$?

TrickHog repped this.
  10. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Asley has always tried to run things on the cheap and has already risked regulation several years ago.

Every newcastle fan I have ever met wants Mike to sell but he never does.

skydog repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I hate it when I'm so right. So much so that I never point it out. Except this one time. And the others. Anyway ATL and Newcastle split the difference at $27 mil and Almiron is off to Newcastle:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...ed-newcastle-united-reach-deal-miguel-almiron

12. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Too bad that the single entity that is MLS and Atlanta didn't do the Galaxy a solid and throw in Gio.

Beep Boop Robot and TrickHog repped this.
  13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited to see what Almiron can do for Newcastle

ragbone repped this.
  14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I fear what Newcastle can do to Almiron....;)

15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Interesting he’s the go-to choice for new/new-ish clubs despite failing 2 times out of 3. Also interesting given he and David didn’t exactly like each other, though I did hear they mended fences when Kreis bought Becks an Arrogant Bastard Ale which was a nod to Beckham apparently calling Kreis an arrogant bastard during a match.

TrickHog repped this.
  17. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff reports TFC just formally announced the sale of Giovinco to Saudi club Al-Hilal

Skevin and TrickHog repped this.
  18. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8418 Dr.Phil, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Almiron and Gio out. Not many big transfers in.

MLS is looking pretty competitive this season. Take away Atlanta and everyone is close together

Edit

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now a report from Goff that Luciano Acosta at DC has left training camp with a potential deal to PSG or a Premiere League team in the works....

20. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    MLS is turning into a feeder league. I hate this as it means the fans never get to see really good players at the top of their game.

21. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    re: Giovinco leaving.

Remember the debates a few years ago over whether Keane or Giovinco was the best international DP in league history? Seemed to me clear at the time, but with the definitive end to Seba’s MLS career it’s safe to say Robbie was and remains the best international signing in league history. Martinez might start to make a case for himself with another solid year under his belt.

Berks, ShortyMac, Beirut and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Robbie slightly still takes that spot for me just because of how dominant he was and how successful he helped make our team during his time here. I mean he made Gio look like a superstar. That took a ton of talent.

ShortyMac and TrickHog repped this.
  23. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Keano won 3 MLS Cups. Giovinco won 1.

Berks and kaburu repped this.
  24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I won't be able to consider us potential members of the top-tier- teams-not-named-Atlanta until GDS actually adds a high quality defender to our roster. This has been our biggest need all along.

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic and an unidentified fan:
    Screenshot 2019-01-31 12.26.43.jpg

Berks, Geneva, The Cadaver and 3 others repped this.