Other MLS games and Teams/Players [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by UcIceD2011, Jul 22, 2012.

1. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    So like a world cup qualifier?

2. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, Houston is giving this game to Seattle.

3. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is still playing?
    [​IMG]

Beakmon FC and hav77 repped this.
  4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, upside is Columbus is very much alive and the football gods seem to on their side.

Downside is Houston is all but dead on arrival.

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to MLS. Where the post-season is longer than the regular season.....

shelbo, Dr.Phil, The Cadaver and 4 others repped this.
  6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Kind of ridiculous and I hope the MLS fixes this. I was really surprised there were no matches this weekend. My interest in the playoffs was already pretty low, but the fact that it is now difficult to watch makes me not want to watch at all.

At least on the weekend I can go out with a few friends and watch the game, but on a weekday night, not so much.

hav77, TOAzer and TrickHog repped this.
  7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, kind of weird. I guess the idea is to avoid competing with football over the Thanksgiving break? I assume the bean-counters know better than me, but is that really a compelling reason to put the games on during the weekday? Are NFL/college football and the MLS playoffs really competing for the same spectators?

TrickHog repped this.
  8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS playoffs viewing is up this season but damn the lag is unbearable and any non fan has already lost interest

9. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So am I less of a fan and disrespecting the Gs by having absolutely no interest in the MLS playoffs? I feel this way about the Lakers too. I'm just a fan of the team, but not so much the league.

Geneva repped this.
  10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of know what you mean. This year's remaining playoff teams aren't exactly scintillating. I really don't care who wins. Columbus would be nice but they aren't a very good team, especially passing. It's not that fun just to root against Seattle. Toronto are spoiled brats, some of them. Maybe if Houston mounts a big comeback the playoffs will be saved.

11. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, same here, I don't really care who wins either. For the most part, I don't ever really watch MLS unless the Gs are playing just like I don't ever watch the NBA anymore if the Lakers aren't playing. For hockey, I'll watch random games even if the Kings aren't playing. I just feel that if I'm not a fan of the league, I'm not much of a fan of the team I am supposedly rooting for since I don't really respect the league they play in.

The Cadaver and Geneva repped this.
  12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree in part. I do respect the league - I just don't much care once my team is out of the running. That's pretty much true of all pro sports for me. About the only sport where I can be mildly interested in random games is college football, but beyond that - bleh.

hav77 repped this.
  13. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a Seattle @ Toronto MLS Cup final, I'll be rooting for a giant blizzard to take out BMO Field

Dr.Phil repped this.
  14. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys wouldn't feel that way if you followed the professional Jai Lai and Polo circuits. Why just the other day whilst in the Maldives on my yacht, after comparing notes on our hedge fund performances, I was telling Winthrop and Scottford about the thrilling World Champions Polo League match between Iscon Hemvijaya and IPCL that I witnessed in Bhavnagar. The last Chukka in particular was absolutely enthralling, and one was simply left with nothing to do but to hang on the edge of their seat till the glorious end.*

Iscon Hemvijaya were, of course, the ultimate victors. But later, over cocktails, as I told Shri, (Shri Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani, chairman of Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Limited, owner of the vanquished side) even in defeat, his boys could certainly hold their heads high for putting in so stirring a performance.

As you can well imagine, I watched the match from the owner's suite, so was not actually seated as this obviously precludes the ability to effectively network with one's peers.

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the league has revealed four finalists for the first two expansion spots, which will be announced before the end of the year:  

Cincinnati 
    Detroit 
    Nashville 
    Sacramento 

The finalists will make presentations to the league's Expansion Committee and Commissioner Don Garber on Dec. 6, and the MLS Board of Governors meeting on Dec. 14 will include additional discussions on expansion with ownership representatives from every team.

16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know "Nashville" was how you spelled Miami....

73Bruin and msilverstein47 repped this.
  17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    There is way too many teams in the MLS

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham is apparently still looking for spare change under his couch cushions

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for the current $200mill a pop...it ain't ending anytime soon...fully expect 32 teams within 10 years.

20. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Perfect number for pro/reg! Top 17 in upper tier and bottom 15 in lower tier

21. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the pro/rel zealots will remain pissed unless it's a totally system.

hav77 and The Cadaver repped this.
  22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If that is the end goal with all these teams, then sure. I think MLS' biggest concern with pro/rel is the clubs will die out, but if all these clubs come into the league, establish themselves with a fanbase, then it could work. Problem is how do you even start a 2nd division league at this point?

hav77 and The Cadaver repped this.
  23. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally OPEN system

24. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cbus outplayed TFC for pretty much the whole match and had them on the ropes many times. Bummed not to see them go through. Great, great match.

natfaninla and TrickHog repped this.
  25. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Cbus have a very good (but aging) midfield. Their problem all season has been in generating offense. They only had one shot on goal and six shots total. But I agree Berhalter did a nice job going to 3 in the back and overloading and controlling the midfield for stretches.

TrickHog and MPNumber9 repped this.