Other MLS games and Teams/Players [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by UcIceD2011, Jul 22, 2012.

1. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California

2. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Your argument does not make sense to me. In most American sports except for baseball, a significant percentage of the teams make the playoffs. As we saw with the Sounders last year, those teams that barely make it in have a puncher's chance of winning the title. By comparison in the EPl, there is little for most teams to play for. They can't compete against the top 5 teams financially for players, and therefore have almost no chance of getting into the top 4 over the course of a long season.

IMO, an American style playoff system would be great for teams like Everton.

Berks and MPNumber9 repped this.
  3. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was being a bit facetious with my post, but with the way European leagues are now as you illustrated above, aside from the massive exception that was Leicester, for those teams that aren't Real, Man, Chelsea, Barce, Munic, Juve, etc...not being relegated is, ipso facto, winning the championship. What would be great and I think the most fair would be to not have a playoff system, put a hard cap on the league, and play a balanced schedule. This way, it'll really even out the playing field and reward the real best team of the season. It'll reward the team with the best managerial minds and most consistent players. Pro/relegation would be more equitable too because it wouldn't just be about who has the most oil money backing.

4. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I doubt that fans of the Stokes and other midtable teams feel that they have won anything. Your attributing this feeling to them is pretty much like the participation trophy you derided in your first post.

While I agree this would be fair, I doubt it would due much to promote interest near the end of the season. Take Chelsea vs City, I think that they as a standalone pair they met your ideal conditions, yet there was a large point difference between them that made the league championship more or less a foregone conclusion. If there had not been Champions League to play for who would have cared about the EPL race after the middle of February.

You may not like it, but I think playoffs bring a lot more excitement to the end of the season. Members of the Galaxy teams that won the MLS Cup but not the Shield (2014, 2012 and 2005) probably agree.

The Cadaver repped this.
  5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those keeping score, Juninho scored his yearly "no humanity" long-distance goal yesterday....

barroldinho, shelbo, Skevin and 6 others repped this.
  6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos Vela to LAFC. Don Garber doing work!

Kinda laughing at the angst from the Mexican NT fans.

shelbo, hav77, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  7. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Vela has a major party streak and has been known to throw temper tantrums, so I whole heatedly encourage the Dos Santos bros to show their buddy all the nightlife and party scenes LA has to offer. Also mention all the great parties that happen Friday and Saturday nights.

Berks, TrickHog, The Cadaver and 5 others repped this.
  8. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    With the recent signing of Gio, Jonathan, and Vela, i wonder if this will lead to more of an increase in the infamous chant around the league as the league moves in attracting more Mexican fans. I'm sure everyone has already noticed higher incidences of hearing this chant the past couple of years, i know i have.

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Pablo is out in Colorado. As much grief as I’ve given Pete & Chris, I’m genuinely appreciative they acted when they did. Pablo needed to go after his first season.

Berks and Geneva repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yep, long overdue.

Geneva repped this.
  11. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Non-MLS news: So the new NASL OC team is going to be named California United FC. Inclusive but bland.

TrickHog repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's going to piss off at least half of California.

13. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For real. The SF Deltas and the NASL San Diego team are probably not thrilled along with the other MLS and USL teams.

14. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Anyone hear anything about AJ and family with all of the flooding?

15. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

hav77, ragbone, FlapJack and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Atlanta vs New England.

Yikes.

Berks and hav77 repped this.
  17. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we'll have a fresh Alessandrini and Jones for that match.

ProudNatRN and hav77 repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Total shots: Atlanta 21, NER 0. (Not talking shots on goal, we're talking any shot whatsoever.)
    Ouch.

19. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think I saw that was the first time in MLS history.that a team didn't even get 1 shot.

How does Jay Heaps survive?

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way - Galaxy has had games with no shots. At least that's my recollection, faulty as always.

21. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know no SOG, but no shots at all?

22. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    According to the mlssoccer.com recap:

Not only were New England demolished on the scoreboard and on the wrong end of two Video Review decisions, but they also became the first team in MLS history to finish a game without registering a single shot.
    We've had games with no shots on goal (and I don't think it was that long ago) but never w/o taking at least a couple wild blinders from somewhere.

Geneva repped this.
  23. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    The Revolution could easily solve the no shots problem by signing Pando. Everytime he had the ball at his feet, it was a opportunity to take a shot . Of course if they want shots on goal, they will need to look elsewhere.

hav77, rokstedy, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Or we could bring Juninho back. :thumbsup:

25. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected, but it still boggles the mind. That the Galaxy never did it, that NO ONE ever did it in the history of this league? I realize I'm making a bogus argument from personal incredulity here.

TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.