OT - Passing of Kevin Pierce (Section 26)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SenordrummeR2, Oct 15, 2017.

1. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw this on Twitter and thought I’d share, but Kevin Pierce has passed away. I didn’t see any details more than that. Kevin used to post on here a lot (might’ve been keeptheSLinRSL), played in the BS pick-up games at Sugar House Park, participated in the Gravy Bowl, and was one of the founding members of Section 26. It’ll be strange not seeing him run the sidelines after home game goals, or lead the R-S-L chant. A gofundme page has been setup for his wife. If anyone has anymore info, please share.

https://www.gofundme.com/4kj6q4w

RSLer, rslfanboy and jessyca repped this.
  2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    #2 rslfanboy, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Actually, Kevin never really posted on here, and he's not /// wasn't married.

It's been a super-emotional week. If you've heard about it, then I guess it's alright for me to say something finally. I guess Dunny gave a quick shout out pre-game. That means a lot.

I've /// I HAD been good friends with him for at least 12 years now. KeepTheSLinRSL was actually the other founding member of 26 whose ex-wife was also Kevin's ex-wife's sister. I know, convoluted. But that's how we met.

I've only known a couple other people in my life who are always upbeat and non-judgmental. Never complained. And didn't have serious problems with anyone else, even if he didn't agree with them. He was very Zen, and up to do just about anything, as long as it wasn't long distance running or rock climbing.

Kevin Pierce was the rug that tied the room together. It was easy to forget, now that he's gone, how much a role in my life he played. I spent nearly every other night with him for three years back in the day. To say we were good friends doesn't really do it justice. We were family.

Kevin was also the guy who, when he noticed someone who felt out of place, would immediately wrap his arm around them and bring them into the fold.

He died alone. No foul play. Likely an unforeseen medical condition that struck unexpectedly. He didn't drink alone. We are shell-shocked.

It's been four solid evenings of commiseration with Section 26ers recent, fleeting, and past, as well as friends and family.

It's hard to lose someone who has always been there, and you expect always will be, Especially when he's younger than you!

If you ever had the luck to meet or get to know him, I'll shed a tear or two with you if and whenever you'd like. The hole will never be filled, but it shouldn't either.

I'll miss you, friend. 'Til we meet, if that's even a thing.

dstorm, Lizzie Bee, RSLer and 15 others repped this.
  3. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad. I assumed Annette was his wife. Thanks for sharing/clarifying.

4. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if you saw it, but the Rocky Mountain Cup trophy had a wrap around it in honor of him. Condolences to those who knew him. He sounds like an amazing guy.

5. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see that, but Ryan Terry shared a pic of how they decorated his seat.

TheBiff, Ismitje and rslfanboy repped this.
  6. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The moment of silence was pretty much perfect. Great job RSL fans!

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if you've guys have seen it, but Petke made reference to it in his post game interview. He purposefully didn't yell out to the players during the minute.
    I hadn't realized we had reached the 26th minute at first and was like "man it just got really quiet".
    I think the cheer at the start of the 27th minute was just as cool, honestly.

8. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even the little kid behind me who was totally oblivious to the game commented "why is the stadium so quiet right now?" Pretty remarkable moment. The seat reminds me of a big time Portland Timbers fan that passed away back in 2012, RSL happened to be playing them the game after and all of the TA laid roses on the seat/bench (a few RSL fans actually did as well), that was an incredible sight to see.