OT: NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Eddie26, Dec 10, 2005.

1. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    All of you:
    Great to see good hockey gob-smacking!
    The Germans have it right...suspend Bundesliga for six weeks, so that everyone can watch hockey.
    Can hardly wait for the Olympics.
    Various notes:
    1. Tronna fans have this noblesse oblege about them, true. What mystifies me is HOW they deserved it? Their record for recent futility is only matched by..
    2. BOSTON - cripes, Bobby Orr was THIRTY years ago! Other than a 4-0 rubout by the Oilers (one being the infamous blackout game), you still are devoted to that team and the worst owner in sports, Jacobs. I think Bruins fans all have two-digit IQs, and would pay to see trained seals wearing black sweaters.....
    3. saw Albany outscore Portland 7-6 last night. Albany's resident goon got a hat trick (!!) with the neph getting two assists, plus 4 minutes for two roughing calls. Sweet...
    4. Eddie, if you were at Nevadas for the ManU game, you probably saw ManU Louie (Veron's evil twin) up at the bar, hurling invectives at us. (Normally, he's decent, but can get crazy). Anyway, see him occasionally at Blue Moon on First Ave and 76th (hockey bar supreme, right in my nabe) wearing a Beukeboom sweater, and watching the NFL or NHL Sunday nights..
    (BTW - great place for a hockey fix.)
    Looking forward to your support, and even smack.
    BTW, my Olympix predictions:
    bronze (major upset, if they get goaltending right): Slovakia
    silver Canada
    gold Russia (can't wait to see Malkin)

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    you need to post more often here. ;)

3. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    spasiba, Yasik....

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    as i said before, CSKA Moscow is the best hockey team that has ever played.
    Just because the Flyers won in 1976, doesn't really mean much. Should have been called a penalty on "The Hammer" anyways. ;) I'm also pretty sure that CSKA MOscow won many more titles than the Flyers, but you knew that already.

However, in my post i was talking about USSR as the best hockey team ever.
    This guy, Valery Kharlamov, did quite a number on US on few occasions.

5. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I once went drinking with Vladimir Krutov - helluva guy. Of course, can never forget Vladislav Tretiak..which made the US achivement in Lake Placid ever the more remarkable.
    Can recall what the Soviet spokeman said about Bobby Clarke: "Booby Clarke...he is NOT a sportsman..." Classic.
    I am going to catch up soon with Jeff Hamilton, who now plays for the Islanders, about his 1 1/2 years playing as a Yank in the Russian League, just as recently as this fall. Mutual friends say he had quite the experience......

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    that's sweet. Krutov was one hell of a winger. Part of that famous KLM line.

7. sportinglisbon1

sportinglisbon1 New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    Mississauga, ON.
    Please explain how Canada stormed back from the dead in the Summit Series in 72.... how are they not the best team ever assembled?

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    year Gold Silver Bronze

1920 Canada United States Czechoslovakia
    1924 Canada United States Great Britain
    1928 Canada Sweden Switzerland
    1932 Canada United States Germany
    1936 Great Britain Canada United States
    1948 Canada Czechoslovakia Switzerland
    1952 Canada United States Sweden
    1956 Soviet Union United States Canada
    1960 United States Canada Soviet Union
    1964 Soviet Union Sweden Czechoslovakia
    1968 Soviet Union Czechoslovakia Canada
    1972 Soviet Union United States Czechoslovakia
    1976 Soviet Union Czechoslovakia F.R. Germany
    1980 United States Soviet Union Sweden
    1984 Soviet Union Czechoslovakia Sweden
    1988 Soviet Union Finland Sweden
    1992 Unified Team Canada Czechoslovakia
    1994 Sweden Canada Finland
    1998 Czech Republic Russia Finland
    2002 Canada United States Russia

So, 8 for Canada and 8 for USSR (including 1992 Unified Team). However, the 1920s and 1930s is the period where Soviet Union was in horrible shape and athletes didn't compete. So, if you look at those years following WWII, USSR has been by far the more dominant team.

9. Factorial

Factorial New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Uhhh... there just had to be an NHL thread here. This is the forum I go to, to escape the horribleness of being a 'Nucks fan (and enjoy talking --well, reading-- about winning...) I expect an annihilation by the Preds tonight, sending us further on a 6 game slide. ********.

10. Factorial

Factorial New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wouldn't have happened had Clarke not done his patriotic duty.

11. Factorial

Factorial New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    He was also one hell of a hot-dog eater.

I recall meeting some people here who were part of the scene that brought the Russians here.

12. sportinglisbon1

Jan 2, 2002
    Mississauga, ON.

This chart is missing something.... what could it be? Well, to say that the soviets were just as dominant as Canada for the better portion of this century would be misleading.... I think it's safe to say that if NHL'ers were permitted to compete since day 1 of this century that chart would look alittle different. Up until the point where pros were permitted to play, the Canada Cups were true measuring sticks of 'World Champions'.

PAUL HENDERSONNNNN!!!!! SCOOOOORES!!!! :cool:

13. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    you're acting as if pros from russia/soviet union played as well. That's stupid. I seem to recall CSKA and Krylya Sovetov coming to America and demolishing just abiout every NHL team.

14. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    Personally I think Krylya Sovetov, for the 2-3 years they were champs were a great team. Lebedev was the bomb..

15. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    He had the best nickname in sport: Vlad "The Inhaler" Krutov. Seem to recall we split a large pizza w/everything, along with our brews...and I'm not a small person, but not quite NFL lineman size (more like a linebacker or strong safety)
    great posts - too bad re: the 'Nucks - at least you're not in the Blue Jacket zone...
    yeah, Henderson and 5000 Canadians singing "O Canada" while that piece of Soviet s##t went unaccompanied (to which Brezhnev ORDERED lyrics to be written to avoid another national embarrassment) (don't get me wrong - love Russia, hate the Communist system - tend to enjoy nd cherish that little thing called "freedom") - but the CCCP pioneered (bad pun) motion away from the puck and passing to the open ice, while Canada was still mired in the "dump and chase" with a few exceptions (les Canadiens, Gretzky) analagous to the Scotland of today playing the Holland of Cruyff, Rensensbrink, Rep, Neeskens. Tikhonov channeled through Rinus Michels...

one more name - Fedorov and the Bure brothers couldn't hold a candle to Helmut Balderis - fastest man I've ever seen on skates save Eric Heiden.

16. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just got back from the Pens-Rangers game. Fvcking Crosby with the winner in OT. I f'cking hate him but he's REALLY f'cking good. Don Cherry can suck a d*ck.

17. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Don Cherry is what I can most charitably call "Byzantine".He set the sport back 30 years, and it figures that the only people who believe him are dumb Canadians who think pro wrestling is genuine.

18. sportinglisbon1

Jan 2, 2002
    Mississauga, ON.

To say that Don Cherry set the sport back 30 years is pretty stupid. You don't have to like or agree with his opinions as I rarely do as well, but he has done more for hockey then any other foreigner (non-Canadian) has..... and that my friend is 100% truth.

I'd also like to know how you think he's brought the sport back 30 yrs. He's held a job on the worlds greatest hockey broadcast for a few decades now, surely he knows alittle more then some Yank.

And cheers on the performance of the US Junior team vs. the likes of Canada and Russia. :rolleyes:

19. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What's nationality have to do with knowledge of something? That "Yank" has WAY more hockey knowledge than you can imagine. Sorry but you're calling the wrong person out. Chelsea New Yorker isn't some Tommy Come Lately.

20. sportinglisbon1

Jan 2, 2002
    Mississauga, ON.
    He used the term "Dumb Canadian". I suppose that would qualify me as one seeing as I respect Don Cherry for the things he's done for hockey and for charity as well. I was simply responding to that.

21. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Thanks, Eddie, but permit me to address our Portuguese?Canadian?(native or emigrant, but then again, I'm lucky enough to live in a country that doesn't care about it or bow down to that Royalist s##t) (do I ask for linguica or a Labatt's?) Blue - and know full well that we are Chelsea AND WE ARE THE BEST.
    First, TV popularity in no way relates to hockey expertise. Cherry was decent in Bahston, but in Colorado he was over his head. Secondly, I don't take too well his too-facile characterisations that "the French wear helmets" "chicken Swedes" . How did you feel when I characterized your consumption habits in the above paragraph? You should probably take a long look in the mirror, my friend. Media popularity has NO correlation to hockey knolwedge - in that case, Howard Stern would be Punch Imlach. (He managed the Leafs while you were still in Portugal - but then I am acting like Grapes now, eh? Good box office, but bad xs and Os)
    Now, I'm not really a johnny-come-lately. I grew up in Michigan (yeah, and were stuck with loonies TOO often in our pocket change). You can contact me off-line, but I turned DOWN two full-ride hockey scholarships to attend a university that DIDN't have a hockey team - a guy down the hallway from me was in the same shoes -he was the goalie for Compuware Midgets. He merely founded US Robotics, invented the Palm Pilot , and had the leaders of the free world over his house for breakfast back in 1996 (Democratic National Convention). Then again, Americans are never limited by either their imaginations or their intellect. That's probably the easiest reason why we rule this planet, and even the most strident America-bashers actually envy us.
    And my nephew DID wear the "USA" and the "C" for the u-17s and u-18s. He is now within a whisker of being called up for the Devils, now playing in Albany. He played at Michigan, where they would start each season by playing the U Toronto and beating them usually by 12 goals or more. He refused to play in Canadian Juniors - didn't want to be an alcoholic or a semi-literate. He's now has his Michigan BA, and will probably go to law school when his playing days are over. The funny thing is, his older brother was EVEN better, but elected to become a real-estate investor. The coach of his college in the WCHA BEGGED him to walk on.
    I wish Team Canada well in the Worlds. However, their fans' deportment are like the West Ham supporters to Supa Frank......Then again, that's the reaction of the herd - read your Nietzsche.

22. sportinglisbon1

Jan 2, 2002
    Mississauga, ON.
    Born and raised in Toronto and Canada. Parents migrated from Portugal. I'm glad you care though. And Labatts and Linguica are a good combination. ;)

Coach of the year in 1976, four consecutive division titles and a few minutes away from a Cup final.... better then decent in my opinion. As for Colorado, they were an expansion franchise... hardly a great situation for any coach. And I don't give a ******** who you are or where you or your nephews played, somebody who coaches at the highest level has gotta have some expertise somewhere.

You don't take well to his 'too-facile characterizations' yet you feel the need to use "Stupid Canadian". How imaginative..... You're on that Media popularity thing again. Although that is a valid point it just isn't just doesn't fit your arguement. He coached more then one NHL team, brought a JR. team to the city of Mississauga, coached that team as well, developing many NHL calibre players in the process. I also don't need any history lessons on my beloved Maple Leafs. Oh, and by the way, when Punch was coaching I wasn't born yet. Just an FYI for the old-timer.

You need to take a deep breath before typing and collect your thoughts... you're all over the place here. I don't give a fvck who your roomate is or was, what school you attended or what program your niece played for. Alittle food for thought, In 2003 Cherry weighed in on the debate over the U.S. led war with Iraq, criticizing the Canadian government for their "lack of support to our American Friends" while wearing a sparkling U.S. Flag tie, he apologized to the U.S. people and berated co-host Ron MacLean for his anti-war sentiments. The rant generated viewer outrage and an official disavowal by the CBC management.

As for your neice, again I don't care, but beating UofT by 12 goals is hardly anything to be proud of. Canadian University hockey teams get beaten regularly by top highschool teams. Wayne Gretzky played major junior hockey, he's hardly illiterate or a drunk... oh, there were a few others who climbed through the ranks, just as Wayne did. If you can't cut it, then the US university program is a good subsitute.... Might as well get an education just in case you get stuck in Albany, right? As for your closing comments, I don't really have a clue what you're talking about.

I'll leave you with a link to Don's charity he set up after his wife passed;

Rose Cherry's Home for Kids, named after Don Cherry's late wife Rose, opened its doors on September 23rd 2004. It is the only facility in Ontario to provide a continuum of care and support from diagnosis through to palliation. Providing a comprehensive coordinated program of both respite and palliative care, families also receive educational counselling and bereavement support during their time of need. Rose Cherry's Home for Kids meets the physical, developmental, psychological and spiritual needs of children with complex medical requirements and their families.

http://www.rosecherryshome.ca

23. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    By discounting those who "walk the walk" versus those who merely "talk the talk", it shows. If you attempt to categorize me blithely ("Yank") so be it. I've probably experienced more hockey, but no use conversing with a yob.
    I don't engage in battles of wit with unarmed people.
    You're irrelevant. Maybe some dark night, you'll be under the covers, wishing
    you'd be come somebody. But you're just a slave, and you choose to exist that way. The parameters of your life extend from A to B. Hope you're enjoying life in our colony - after all, how many more "Police Academies" can one make in Tronna? Or put up with your taxes to support your bureaucratic class? Or foster content laws so that you hera only "government-approved" artists. Some friends who had a lousy band (by their own admission) in Detroit decided to make their hometown was Windsor. Immediately, they were on MuchMusic, got airplay,
    Have a nice life, chump. Least your beer is decent, if you want to define your existence that way....

24. sportinglisbon1

Jan 2, 2002
    Mississauga, ON.

For the record, sitting on your fat ass and swivelling beer doesn't count as 'experiencing hockey'. When failing in having an intelligent hockey conversation, just bail and move onto politics. Fortunately for you I won't stoop down to your level and begin belittle the US. I like the US, I have lots of family and friends down there and go down a few times a year. You obviously don't have any clue bout 'Tronna' or Canada.... just continue to spew your sh1t, in case theres's somebody out there willing to believe you. There's a sucker born every minute and you yourself are living proof. Thank you and g'nite.

25. hiddi

hiddi Member

Jul 23, 2005
    philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Eddie Flyers first to 60 points wooo! :D

I've got tickets for most games until april except devils and pens :/ I've gone to the devils games ealier this year but missed out for the later games. I was in London when more tickets went on sale Jan 3 at 10am EST and was a couple minutes late using the internet terminal because I didn't have change and nobody would break a 5 pound note. I had to run to a drug store and buy gum to break it. By the time I came back at like 10:05 devils and pens tickets were sold out :(

Seriously how good are the Flyers with so many injuries and playing road game after road game? Grinding out every game and getting a W. I'm really proud of them right now. Hitchcock is doing a great job rotating and changing up lines to keep things fresh through injuries. When gagne / forsberg / knuble are out together whew it's awesome. I wish they would replace therien though. I'm so sick of his mistakes and him giving the blue line all the time.