OT: ESPN's Megacast for National Championship has replay/referee-specific option

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Bradley Smith, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Definitely slightly off-topic (as it's not soccer related), but I thought everyone might be interested that WatchESPN will be streaming a replay booth and referee-specific broadcast tonight for the College Football National Championship Game:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...llege-football-playoff-national-championship/

Certainly will be interesting to get a peek into how this process works behind-the-scenes in another sport and more generally the conversation about officiating. Especially since there's still much debate about how replay technology can be used effectively in soccer.

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  2. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely pretty cool. Which conference crew has the game tonight?

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Speaking of off-topic, did anybody catch the commercial during the Packers/Skins game where the ref crew is huddling because nobody saw the play and the head ref says, "OK here's what we're gonna do" and a fan yells from the stands "Your mike's on?" It gave me the willies ...

Ah, here it is:

Bradley Smith repped this.
  4. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PAC-12

5. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Makes sense due to not having a team in the playoff.

6. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Very interesting setup, but hard to watch the game on such a small screen in the corner

7. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Well, to close an off topic thread,

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    And to close it further ... they actually could have made good use of Goal Line Tech in that game.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    In a way they did except it was simply the review system.

10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yeah but that dogpile right on the goal line where the nose of the ball probably crossed the line by about four inches and there was only one of the half dozen views where you could kinda sorta see that ... dang.

11. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lesson on how GLT works in soccer or tennis (same system).

It uses loads cameras to determine the position of the ball, not any sort of tracking device in the ball. So in that dog pile situation that may or may not have been a TD and they just went with the call on the field of no TD, GLT would have useless.

http://quality.fifa.com/en/Goal-Lin...w-goal-line-technology/How-it-helps-referees/

According to the wikipedia article not very many of the magnetic systems have been installed. They are much more expensive. If you were going to use GLT for football, the camera based system would obviously fail in dog pile situations like this, and you'd really have to use the magnetic based system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goal-line_technology#Initial_testing

Also, in soccer the ball just needs to cross the line right? Well in football, possession is also required. Not sure you want a watch beeping TD when it's actually a fumble and the defense recovers but you're blowing a whistle for a TD. I'm sure they'd just lose the watch, let the refs call it on the field like usual, and only the replay official has access to the GLT until the play is dead.

12. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    In the replay room broadcast, they had two angles (including the pylon cam) that clearly showed it breaking the plane of the goal line with possession.

The reply room broadcast got better throughout the night as I got used to what they were doing. Certainly an interesting way to watch the game.

usaref and Lucky Wilbury repped this.
  13. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's talking about a previous play. There was another goal line rush that may or may not have gotten in (I think it was QB Coker rush play) that was a huge dog pile immediately and Coker and the ball completely disappeared underneath. Wouldn't have mattered how many cameras you have it was impossible to see him or the ball.

Bradley Smith and usaref repped this.
  14. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ah. You're right, there was another one. I thought the replays showed him down before the ball crossing the plane, but I don't remember that one clearly. Goal line technology would equally be fooled in situations where the cameras can't track the ball, as others have already mentioned.

I really found watching the replay booth fascinating, but I have no further insight as a result on how replay or video officials could practically be used in a soccer match without significantly changing the way the game flows.

15. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    I watched the replay room for a bit but got bored. The coaches room on the other hand was super interesting.