OSI Referee of the Year

Discussion in 'Referee' started by chrisrun, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Maybe so. But there was a time when he was not getting
    very many MLS games.

I am not sure about your stated goal
    of the full-time referee program. I always thought it was to
    provide better and always available referees for our domestic games. Doesn't make sense to spend US Soccer money to benefit FIFA tournaments. If FIFA wants National Associations to do this, they should foot the bill from their millions in the Swiss bank accounts.
    US Soccer should employ the best available who want to
    do it. That would include Brian, if he so chose.

2. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but I think you are in a distinct
    minority here. I can't find many really knowledgable people who take your point of view.

I agree about not going public with it like this for a coach, but after all this time they are getting frustrated and it is clear that the league has not been listening. Some of this was pointed out to Beckham before he came
    over here, and he soon found it out for himself when he got "tackled" by
    Jesse Marsch, who was not carded, let alone sent off. (Discussed at length
    on these boards several weeks ago).

And your point about the fines and discipline in the league is also well taken, and is actually another indictment of they way they run things. Some of the punishments for nasty fouls, broken legs red cards etc., are nothing more than slaps on the wrist. All of this contributes as to why the league is not taken very seriously either here or in established soccer countries, the Beckhampalooza notwithstanding.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the interest of accuracy, Marsch was booked (though I agree he should have been sent off).

4. Spaceball

Spaceball Member

Jun 15, 2004
    I think what you are saying is a by-product of the full time referee progam. Compare it to player development. The goal of US Soccer is to develop players for the national team to compete and win Regional and International tournaments. US Soccer supports the MLS because it helps develop players for their national team.

US Soccer does not run MLS so the only reason they would have a financial stake in referees is to help develop them for the highest levels as well. If these were full time MLS referees, I imagine MLS would be paying the tab. US Soccer wants these referees to succeed on an international stage, not just domestically. For these 4 referees, their first priority is International and Domestic is second. Why else would these referees disappear for so long during the MLS season (Vaughn was gone over a month) for International appointments? If the goal was availability for Domestic league, I would think that would be the priority during the season.

I think we look at it differently. I think US Soccer focuses on the International level, because that is where their stake is, while the MLS gets the benefits of full time referees being available to them when they do not have other duties. You seem to look at it from the opposite position.

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    First, I don't thing your analogy between the National Team Program producing players for FIFA tournaments and the Referee Program producing referees for them is really valid. They are not the same thing. And anyway, judging by Vaughn's performances in these tournaments this year, it does not seem that this has been a great success so far. Interestingly, I haven't seen his name as CR on the MLS playoffs either so far. Is he injured or is he being saved for the Final?:rolleyes:

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Yes you are quite right. Thanks for the correction. I had forgotten about the card. Another look at the clip shows it, but it was while the referee was
    showing the card to Marsch, he had his back turned to the rest
    of the melee during which the head-butt occurred. Poor techniques from
    one of our FIFA full timers.