News: Orlando joins USL for 2011

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by GIO17, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/407038.html

I am happy for the Orlando area to get a new club, but I think all of you should be a bit worried. The old Rochester Rhinos owner is behind this in Steve Donner. And I think we all know what happened with those pro sides.

2. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Orlando

3. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    sorry im unfamilair with what happened between steve donner and the rochester. do you know where i can find this information.

4. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Horrible for Orlando

5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. Donner has been running the indoor lacrosse team and, by reports in the Orlando board, been doing a decent job. I don't know who the owner was for the Rhinos, but Donner isn't the Orlando Titans owner, some other person is.

In other words, my memory of what all went down in Rochester is crap, so I'm not ready to jump on the 'horrible' bandwagon.

That aside, I think even getting Orlando leaves the USL1 with a steep hill.

Even with things falling just right (FCNY making it, San Diego choosing USL1 over NASL, and Charleston deciding to promote back up), they still need to find two more solid franchises to get to 8.

There's still a lot of time to make that happen. And even if they do manage that, there's yet one more question of whether the USSF would sanction two leagues.

One way or another, I look forward to another strong team in North American Division 2 soccer next year.

6. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    So basically the championship game next year will be Austin and Puerto Rico lol

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States