Organized away travel

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by KillerMoth, Sep 29, 2011.

1. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I'm curious if there would be much interest in organized away support for the Aztex?

One of the nice things about playing in the PDL is that travel to away games can be pretty cheap. Laredo is a reasonable drive, and if there are teams this upcoming season in Houston or Dallas, those would be decent trips as well.

Laredo is a good trip as they have fans, atmosphere, a soccer-specific stadium, and beer. You can get a bit of a feel for their ground from this promo video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKGBM1eb8U"]Laredo Heat Soccer 2011 promo - YouTube[/ame]

If there are enough people willing to pay for seats, it is possible to charter buses with a driver at what would be a pretty inexpensive cost per seat. If you make arrangements with the charter company (i.e. pay a little extra), my understanding is that you can drink beer and/or play music, etc, during the drive, so the trip itself can be a pretty fun experience.

I'm just wondering if there'd be enough people with interest to make it worth doing?

2. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be planning on traveling to Laredo and RGV for the away matches. I've been to both stadiums in the past, and they're nice. I was talking with Scooter Pete, and we were discussing a combine road trip when the team goes to Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

3. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be interested in something like this, for sure. A simple caravan of people would be good, but if we could get enough folks together on occasion & organize a van or a bus, I think that would be even more fun.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've organized several bus trip for our supporters group here in Charleston. It is always a good time.

In the past we have requested quotes on our own but this year we partnered with the Club as they get a significant discount with the bus company as they do so much business with them. This year we got a a 55 pax luxury bus with restroom for $950. We normally price our based on 35 people and the club picked up the match ticket for the fans. That puts the price at $28 a head with game ticket.

You could save money with a smaller bus (but no bathroom) or even renting a 12 or 15 pax van.

Good luck and glad you guys have a team again!

5. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's go for the bathroom coach. Otherwise my asking the driver for frequent restroom stops will seriously delay our arrival.

6. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you didn't drink so much beer...

7. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pete no function beer well without.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly the reason we went with the bathroom bus, although for the longer trips we still end up making a stop or two for smoke breaks or to refuel the coolers.

9. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Scorpions are on the road and the Aztex are down in Laredo, swing on by San Antonio and the Crocketteers will join you guys.

10. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A trip to Midland should be at the top of everybody's list. I would be happy to list all of the things there are to do in Midland but I simply don't have the time or the space in the post. :D <sarcasm font>

Seriously, I'd be up for a road trip. Sounds fun.