O'Reilly to retire

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Aug 31, 2016.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    771167695706337281 is not a valid tweet id

McSkillz, FawcettFan14 and kernel_thai repped this.
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd just seemed to confirm that the news is true in the post-NWSL match presser although she says that she did not it was public yet.

My first thoughts on hearing about HAO's retirement: :(:(:(

Her retirement will mark the end of an era. HAO is the last of those players who bridged the gap between today's team and the '99ers who retired in 2004 (assuming both Solo and Rampone are done). She was the sub that came on for Hamm in Hamm's last game.

It may feel like she's been around forever, but that's because her first cap came at the age of 17 in 2002. In that first cap, she came on as a sub in the 66', scored a goal in the 69', and earned Player of the Match honors. She played in three Olympic and three WWC tournaments. Additionally, she seemed likely to make the 2003 WWC roster, but broke her leg (in the process of scoring a goal) only 3 months before the '03 WWC. She ends her career with 3 Olympic gold medals and one WWC gold (plus a bronze and silver at the WWC). She also won 2 women's professional league titles. She scored the game winner for Sky Blue in the 2009 WPS final, helping her team win the title. In the 2015 NWSL final, she assisted on Rodriguez's goal to help FC Kansas City win the championship.

Her work rate on the field is incredible, and she consistently performed in the top ranking of the team during fitness testing. She holds the USWNT record of most consecutive games played, a streak of 74 games stretching from August 12, 2007, to January 21, 2011. While she may be remembered now as a player who had just one main move, she made it work down the right flank for over a decade. But perhaps more importantly, she's incredibly funny, personable, and so gracious. The way that she handled being moved to the bench and then being named an alternate for the Olympic team was just pure class.

I'm really going to miss seeing her in a USWNT jersey.

steelers07, puttputtfc, McSkillz and 6 others repped this.
  5. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing the role of Jurgen Klinsmann in this episode of How To Push Beloved U.S. Soccer Icons Into Premature Retirement will be Jill Ellis.

steelers07 repped this.
  6. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From today's press release:
    Heather O’Reilly, one of the most successful players in U.S. Women’s National Team history, has announced her retirement from international soccer.
    O’Reilly, 31, will end a spectacular 15-year international career when she plays her final game in a U.S. uniform on Sept. 15 as the USA takes on Thailand in Columbus, Ohio

O’Reilly will continue to play professionally on the club level, where she also has found great success.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...nnounces-retirement-from-international-soccer

sitruc repped this.
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think it is very unfortunate that O'Reilly, who is still playing at a very high level could simply be forced off the NT when so many others were allowed to hang around long past their due date. I still have a hard time seeing how an unfit, limited version of Rapinoe was a better option for the OG roster than HAO. That said, this is certainly the time for Ellis to be looking forward and if O'Reilly wasnt in her plans for the last two years I cant see any way she will be there three years down the road.

Cannons, exref, lil_one and 1 other person repped this.
  8. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    http://equalizersoccer.com/2016/09/01/heather-oreilly-retires-uswnt-international-stays-fckc-nwsl/

Reading down the long list of accomplishments, it hits home what an amazing career she's had (and it will continue in a more limited sense!). The numbers are solid (230 caps, 46 goals, 54 assists). Beyond this however she is the embodiment of classy behavior. We've had our share of drama queens, pot stirrers, and entitlement on the USWNT over the years, yet I can't recall anyone EVER attributing any of it to HAO. The only criticism she took was her one-dimensional play. I do think this is slightly overstated (her game is better rounded than people credit her for), but even if she is a direct style player, she is fantastic at what she does. Into her thirties she continues to dominate on the right wing (the game against Boston last weekend is a prime example), putting in dangerous crosses and running with a motor that never quits.

She's been around so long it is hard to believe she is only 31. When she started she was Pugh's age.

The links to the past are almost severed now. O'Reilly and Rampone hanging up the boots. Solo essentially being shown the door. Lloyd and Rapinoe made their debuts after the "Mia generation" bid farewell.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for HAO. Many thanks for her outstanding play and dedication.

exref, BlueCrimson, lil_one and 3 others repped this.
  9. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    You can't blame O'Reilly. She showed tremendous pride and selflessness continuing to hang around despite it being clear to everyone Ellis doesn't rate her. She never complained. She just continued about her business with 100% effort. I loved her reaction to being named an Olympic alternate (still maintain she would've made bigger impact on the tournament than a gimpy, out-of-shape Rapinoe, but it's in the past now).

But no point in her putting up with it anymore.

exref, puttputtfc and sitruc repped this.
  10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With O'Reilly retiring, the Wambach era has officially closed.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    This isn't fair at all. Name one athlete who outlasted Father Time.

HAO was under appreciated and one hell of a workhorse. Never needed the doting or spotlight just an opponent to work over. I'll miss watching her and the amount of pride she put in that jersey every single time.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If the Carolina Railhawks were awarded an expansion team, that would be the perfect place for HAO to finish out her pro career.

13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Yeah, but they need to change the name Railhawks.
    That is not a very good NWSL name.

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exref and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction: The game I described as her first cap (coming in the 66', etc.) was her 6th cap, in which she scored her first goal.

Crazily enough, the game in 2003 in which she broke her leg while scoring a goal was also her first start. She scored that goal and broke her leg in the 2nd minute of the game.

exref repped this.
  16. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you score a goal and break your leg? Was the ball made out of concrete?

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I remember, it was from the collision with the goalkeeper.

exref repped this.
  18. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, vs. Ireland.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exref repped this.
  20. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Maybe my favorite USWNT player of all time.

lil_one repped this.
  21. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before there was -
    "Oh its in........Alex Morgan has done it"

[​IMG]

There had to be -
    "Here comes the cross"

[​IMG]

Well, the above assures that I will think of HAO at least 4 times a day until they plant me - - Top 3 crosses in USWNT history.

The fact that she donned the Jersey guarantees her a place in my heart, her longevity ensures that it will be special.

Columbus is going to be tough, this one is going to hit deep down.

Special, special player.
    Special, special human being.

22. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Safe to say the Top 3 crosses are:
    1) Rapinoe to Wambach (2011)
    2) O'Reilly to Morgan (2012)
    3) Hamm to Milbrett (2000)

Honorable mention: MacMillan to Fawcett (1999, QF vs. Germany), that corner kick was one of the best driven balls I've seen.

2011 has to be #1 - the drama of the moment, the sweet feeling after Brazil's time wasting came back to bite them, the improbability (how the cross had to be inch perfect).

The other two are debatable as to which is better. I put 2012 in the #2 spot just because they won the game, whereas they eventually lost in 2000. But ultimately who cares about ranking them. All three are fantastic crosses and dramatic finishes that highlight the never-say-die attitude of the WNT.

exref and jackdoggy repped this.
  23. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #23 FawcettFan14, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    I wonder who will get the honor of wearing #9 from now on. Over the USWNT's 31-year history, only two players have worn that number consistently. Mia Hamm from 1987-2004, HAO from 2005-2016. Pretty remarkable. Of course, somebody wore it in the early years (1985-86) before Mia debuted, but upon a cursory search I couldn't find the name of this person.

Traditionally it goes to the top striker, but the incumbents already have their favorite numbers. My guess would be Horan? Or if they really want to be bold (and mirror the symmetry of a teenager inheriting #9 from a legend), Mallory Pugh, though #10 seems better suited to her game. She wore #9 in high school.

24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, HOR will finish with 231 caps, which puts here 7th all-time: Lilly* (354), Rampone (311), Hamm* (276), Foudy* (272), Wambach (255), Fawcett* (241). Lloyd has 228 at the moment. Nothing but of HOFers in the group.

In terms starts, HOR ranks 15th with 151. Her 46 goals places her 12th, one in her finales would tie her with Venturini for 11th. Her 52 assists rank 6th, trailing only Mia* (145), Lilly* (106), Wambach (73), Milbrett (64), and Foudy* (55).

In terms of points (2 for a goal, 1 for an assist), HOR ranks 11th all-time with 146: Hamm* (461), Wambach (441), Lilly* (366), Millbrett (264), Akers* (250), Lloyd (222), Parlow (185), Morgan (171), MacMillan* (170), Gabarra* (160).

* = HOFer. My point is, is HOR a HOFer? I mean, she isn't on the Akers, Hamm, Fawcett level. But Shannon Mac and Brandi got in last year. The numbers indicate she's close. I wasn't going to go the match (I'm from Columbus), but I think I'll change my mind to see HOR off.

Full list of women players in the HOF:

My subjective A-List: Carin Jennings Gabarra (2000), Michelle Akers (2004), Carla Overbeck (2006), Mia Hamm (2007), Julie Foudy (2007), Joy Fawcett (2009), Kristine Lilly (2014),

My subjective B list: April Heinrichs (1998), Shannon Higgins-Cirovski (2002), Brandi Chastain (2016), Shannon MacMillan (2016).

FWIW, how Millbrett isn't in is beyond me. I know there was acrimony, but merit should trump that. And Scurry should be in as well.

http://www.ussoccer.com/womens-national-team/records
    http://www.ussoccer.com/about/hall-of-fame/hall-of-famers

sitruc, exref and FawcettFan14 repped this.
  25. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #25 FawcettFan14, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Great work compiling this post. I assumed Milbrett was inducted already, surprised and disappointed to learn otherwise. No disrespect to MacMillan (who also deserves a HOF spot) but Milbrett was more integral to the 1990s teams.

I looked up the HOF eligibility criteria. Per U.S. Soccer, "A player must have been retired for at least three full calendar years, but for no more than 10 full calendar years." Scurry's last cap was 2008 so she is still eligible. Milbrett's last cap was in 2005 or 2006, so she might be out of luck? Does the federation consider retirement to only be international play, or does club count? Milbrett (and Scurry) played in WPS thru 2010.

There is also something called the "Veterans Eligibility List" where you can be retired for 10+ years and still get in, but I don't fully understand how this works.

Edit: I just realized Mac was inducted via the "veteran ballot" route. So maybe the same will happen to Milbrett.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...cmillan-don-garber-hall-of-fame-class-of-2016

Mia racked up an amazing number of assists! Thinking back on USWNT history, the team has never developed many elite #10-type players. Mia, a forward, was probably the best playmaker the team has ever had.