Oranje v Scotland & Macedonia [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Mar 20, 2009.

1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just wanted to post something like that. Well, let's hope we don't encounter teams at the WC 2010 that have the killers upfront Volendam has in their team.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    They can't all have Melvin Platje on the bench! In all seriousness I don't think anyone who closely follows the eredivisie would defend Van Marwijk's preference for Van Bronkhorst. It really is beyond the beyonds.

3. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Whats the deal with Maduro?? He's a starter for Valencia yet overlooked even in pre-selection for Oranje

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    http://www.valenciacf.com/contenidos/ElEquipo/Jugadores/Valencia/Maduro.html?__locale=en

He is, and i did not know that he played so regular. I'm very glad for him.

pre-selection midfield
    Ibrahim Afellay, Mark van Bommel, Orlando Engelaar, Nigel de Jong, David Mendes da Silva, Stijn Schaars, Wesley Sneijder, Rafael van der Vaart, Demy de Zeeuw

Hmmm, he is close i would say. Silva and Engelaar can't be that much better.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He has been in and out of the lineup. What position is he going to play, holding midfield? De Jong, Van Bommell and Schaars are all far superior and this presumes we continue to play with 2 holding mids. If we move down to one, Maduro has no place on the side. He's too slow to play anything else.

6. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maduro played as a full back with Ajax from time to time, but as you say, he doesn't have the speed to really compete there at a high level.

Only 4 or 5 years ago he was one of the most promising young players at Ajax, but injuries along with a move to Spain that probably came too early in his career have hampered his development.

7. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Double post

8. English, and the English journalists especially have no clue on anything what has to do with soccer, so this man's opinion is like the hot air I release after a good meal of "bruine bonen"

9. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Great stuff! One of the only Dutch dishes my dad made that was actually good. The worst of course being boerenkool:(

10. dwbakker

dwbakker New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Sarnia, ON
    What about gehaktballen, crokets, or bruine bonen' s more potent cousin kapuicijners. (My family calls em' Kapui"cyanides" due to the ill-fated gastrointestinal effects.) There are many delicious dishes in dutch cuisine. Eet smakelijk!

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I won't have anything said against Boerenkool as it's class and also very healthy. Curly kale has an extremely high vitamin C percentage.

12. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Its 'zuurkool' (sauerkraut) that I cant stand!!! :eek: :(

13. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

My dad doesn't make gehaktballen or Kroketjes, my Oma does, he mainly makes dishes with stamppot, most of which I hate. Zuurkool is just as bad as boerenkool.

My last time in Holland I ate too many kroketjes the night before my flight back home. Poor passengers on the KLM didn't know what hit them.

14. One of the Republican candidates (I forgot his name, a religious guy, dark hair, I think he was the last to quit against McCain) spotted a Dutch journalist covering his campaign and asked if he had any frikandellen or erwtensoep with him ( he loves anything Dutch). It was bone chilling cold where he was, so I would have asked for a bucket full of erwtensoep myself if I was there:p

15. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    My favourites are:

Frikandel speciaal
    Patatje dubbel met
    Broodje lever (met heel veel zout)
    Broodje tartaar
    Broodje paardenvlees
    Haring

Cant get all that here in N.A., well not fresh anyways

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's lovely mashed into potato mash with strips of bacon and gravy. To get the sour edge of zuurkool you should fry it first.