Orange, the rebuild starts now

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not enough gas in the tank. Until the team gets a striker this is the kind of result we will see. Portugal goal was nicely taken and Cilessen didn't get a firm enough hand on the ball. CR7 was well defended.

One of these years we won't face a home club in a competition final. Game was also well officiated.

Oranje98 and verde-rubro repped this.
  2. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    At least you guys won 50%, lol

3. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What a terrible final by the way. Both teams were awful. Champions league final was shit, this final was shit. Amazingly low quality. Oranje had some nice possession + nice touches and Frenkie played his role as "spelverdeler" perfectly.... but he just isn't the guy to make the final pass and we so clearly don't have that guy. Too bad there isn't a player, born and raised in the Netherlands, who wanted to play for the Netherlands, with exactly those qualities...........

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You are so full of it. He made a good play on the ball and also made a bunch of other saves. This game was not his fault.

5. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    The game was not his fault. The Dutch clearly didn't deserve to win this one. But Cillessen is not a great keeper. I've seen too many goals go through him. Goaltending is a weak spot for the Dutch right now. Same with wingers

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I dont agree with him that he's a trash goalie, but he really shouldve saved that shot though

TitoTata repped this.
  7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Referee Mallenco was a disgrace by the way. No, oranje did not deserve to win but he robbed us from two or three penalties and somehow the replay/VAR did not care either. But it was a clear handball nonetheless.
    Mallenco has so often helped Cristiano and Real Madrid, also this time.

TitoTata repped this.
  8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You are wrong on all points. He does not control VAR decisions.

9. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He can start or stop a request no?

10. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Trash is a bit harsh. Heat of the moment so I take that back. But Cillessen is not a goalie I have a ton of faith in. He is a fine backup but shouldn't be the Oranje number 1 but there aren't many choices. Just like that game against France a few years ago where it went through his hands. Yes they are hard shots but a top keeper pushes that aside

11. Gabriel Guilarte

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 28, 2018
    Van De Beek and Promes need to play from the beginning. Then you can bring Stengs or Groeneveld btw. De Roon not a bad game but so slow. Bergwijn is still not ready for Orange unfortunately. Let's introduce more youngsters little by little since we seems to be full of them. I'll take Malen any day with his speed. We need more unpredictability in our movements in the final third. Btw we also need another RB. Dumfries is a hard worker but not top class. Memphis was awful too imo. We need so bad Ziyech lol. It's sad.

Oranje98 and DutchFanatic repped this.
  12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Hooijdonk my friend, please get a haircut :eek:

13. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think there's a lot to complain about in this game, but the truth is simply that the team was terrible. Everyone except for Van Dijk, Blind and Wijnaldum played like shit. Depay, Promes, Bergwijn, Babel all couldn't land a single cross. So many open crosses with strong headers inside and they NEVER hit their target. We showed some nifty passes and possession but all of that is useless if you can't hit the open man.

Portugal didn't play well, but we played even worse. Deserved win for Portugal, not because they were good but because we were terrible. That's the simple truth. Congrats to Portugal, fortunately this wasn't an EC or WC, hope the team learns from this, Koeman learns from this, and that some of our attacking talents step up big.

Gabriel Guilarte repped this.
  14. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's ridiculous how intensely Ziyech is the missing link to this team. With Ziyech, we could be the even better version of Ajax this year. The possession is there, the passes are there, the build-up is there.... but no end product.

I agree with you that Bergwijn needs to be dropped and Babel. Kluivert, Stengs and Malen should all get a run. Groeneveld and Dilrosun also if they return well from injury.

Gabriel Guilarte repped this.
  15. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Whatever happened to Karsdorp? I really liked him as an attacking RB a few years ago

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Go to the referees forum, there is a thread on how VAR works.

17. After watching too many ill measured passes into the last third of the pitch by several players or players reacting too late on a pass I think fatigue is messing things up.

18. Yup. Wijnaldum has been brilliant this weekend matches thanks to de Roon.
    I think DvdBeek is too much attack oriented and that will take out the effectiveness of Gino, who in that case has to do both attacking and defensive work. The matches before de Roon came in show how that affects Gino's worth to the Orange team.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes indeed. Also people are mentioning players who can't even start for their clubs. Do you really think Kluivert is ready? What did Wijnaldum do today? Hardly any touches that I can remember. Other than the goal Cillessen saved every shot. The back line was decent. The MF lost the plot in the first half but were better in the 2nd. All the attackers were poor.

20. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Ha Portugal didnt play well eh? 18 shots to your 4, and 10 corners. They played very good, they just came up against two CBS and couldnt create great chances. That's because you guys have great CBS. Portugal was the better team today because they have better attacking talent. That's all that's missing from this Dutch team, some quality forwards and probably some more quality fullbacks.

21. Ahem, to make that pass you need the forwards to make the moves to enable that.
    A couple of years ago Dick Advokaat told at AZ Jozy Altidore a top striker doesnot react to what midfielders do, but enforce by his action what the midfielder's action will be.
    In other words the movement of our striking players today gave no opportunity for FdJ to show his strength.

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought both teams were quite poor today. You guys just sucked a little less than we did

DutchFanatic repped this.
  23. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You were the better team for all but the last 30 minutes of the game, that's for sure. But I definitely don't think you played well. Sure if you look at it that way you had lots of shots, but the shot count is extremely flattering, very few legitimate chances. If you were to name the legitimate high goalscoring chances, there were very few and I don't think Portugal had more than Holland. Deserved win, you guys were the better team and played to your strengths. This is exactly the type of win I expect from Portugal and as the Dutch commentators said, if they had written a realistic article about how the game would go before the game started, it would have been exactly this. A bit of a stifled game, no real creativity and a 1-0 win for Portugal. Once again, deserved winners, but you can't tell me it was a good game can you? I can't help but feel that our lack of legitimate chances had more to do with our attack being absolutely shit than your defense necessarily being a wall. There were more than enough openings, but with every cross flying aimlessly over it didn't amount to anything.

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Is there no chance of getting Robben back for 12 - 18 months ??

DutchFanatic repped this.
  25. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No I definitely don't think Kluivert is ready. Neither is Stengs, neither is Groeneveld, neither is Malen. But definitely neither is Bergwijn. That's the point, we have no other options so we are forced to try it with players who maybe aren't ready yet, but at least have some potential. We don't have the luxury of the last generation where you had amazing attackers in the starting lineup and 'potential' players like Afellay, Elia and Depay could slowly be tested. Those 'potential' players now need to be given way more responsibility and importance than preferred because we have no one.

So in conclusion I don't think trying Stengs, Kluivert, Groeneveld or Malen is necessarily worse than what we have now. And if it is, i'm doubtful it will be a significant step back and we can always switch it up. It's worth trying.