Opposing Goal Kick Chant

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by Z010 Union, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Fighting Blue Hen

Jan 6, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am interested to see if it was more of an issue that ESPN arose with MLS than what our FO is dealing with potential sponsors that caused the crack down. Atleast according to the vid, ESPN had a big say in this matter. One simple solution to the whole microphoning the end lines and picking up profanities is, to not do it. This may be an over simplification of the YSA fiasco, but it would maybe help if the mics weren't positioned there.

2. soccerman90

soccerman90 Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or they could just cut the mic when a goal kick is taking place

3. TheModernHypocrites

TheModernHypocrites New Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooooooooooooooooo ESPN SUCKS!

4. weeszel

weeszel Member

Feb 3, 2010
    sec 139
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you just have to make YSA game specific was a lot of fun chanting you suck beckham at the la game and you suck pink cows just as effective

5. ICSolo

ICSolo New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    West Trenton & 136
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like this idea...although I had to google Dupek...which, to me, means that it would work out well. I also like the idea of game specific chants.

While I thought the YSA was fun, I understand the FO asking us to curtail it, it makes sense. Yes it is fun to do, but, in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that important. But I certainly think that we should have something during the goal kick...because, especially when they are kicking off from our end, I can't imagine it being easy to block out all of us.

6. Cuchalain's Dog

Cuchalain's Dog New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I agree- substitute devastating personal attacks for generalized profanity. Requires research and coordination of course.

7. OldRetiredCoach

Feb 22, 2003
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, he went a long way to say nothing of substance, didn't he?

9. JINX_1391

JINX_1391 New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was reading that thinking the same thing....way too wordy for the point. Good job bashing T. Henry...but that's about it.

As an international sports writer...you would think he would examine world football more...instead of dropping "key name" players in an attempt to sound knowledgeable. He failed to mention that Rooney has been penalized by both FIFA and club for similar, more directed outbursts in the past.

10. Coonpath

Coonpath Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Shamong, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How about for the Red Bulls game... ahhhhhhhhh You Need Groupon!

11. Laudy

Laudy New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Reinholds, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, a lot of us in the back of 137 have started with ohhhhhhh BIMBO!!! Everyone back there seems to like it. It can be construed as derogatory and also is good for our sponsor. I will continue with this unless I hear a consensus from everyone else.

YSA is just too unoriginal and pathetic.

12. Aiken 4 the Union

May 28, 2009
    Springfield - Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should def do "Ohhhh Red Bulls Suck!"

Still has suck but I think its the whole ahole part that annoys everybody.

13. AVFC Union

AVFC Union New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YSA and yelling "sucks" during opposing team introductions are pretty tasteless. Almost as tasteless as the jerkbag that yelled "Konichiwa Bitches" during the 1-minute silence for Japan at the USA vs ARG game on ESPN2 back on March 26.

I could also care less about kids at the game and making a bad impression on them, and if foul language influences someone's kid, that's the parents fault for not being a parent and teaching their kid how to act in a world full of bad words.

I also really don't care what other supporters groups throughout the MLS do. It's not even about the "a-word" either, it's not about being "classy," but rather it's about having a little bit of tact. While I disagreed with the overall premise of that GQ article to paint SOBs as wanna-be UK hooligans, the whole YSA and yelling "sucks" does validate that author's claim that this type of behavior does turn the River End into a sort of "role play reserved for game day."

14. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying your opponents are assholes or that they suck isn't remotely the same thing as disrespecting a minute's silence after a tragedy that claimed the lives of 25,000 people.

I don't like YSA because it's unoriginal and unnecessary use of "bad" language that isn't clever in any way. But yelling "sucks" during opposing player intros is tasteless? Please. That's about as tame as it gets in professional sports anywhere in the world.

15. MyCynideCathrsis

Feb 20, 2008
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except yelling "sucks" when the opposing player's name is called is done throughout the Philadelphia sports landscape, so it really has nothing to do with "role playing" and actually has everything to do with a particular tradition ingrained in Philadelphia sports fans game day experience.

16. AVFC Union

AVFC Union New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply booing the player is sufficient. Yelling "sucks," and then claiming that it's just "what we do in Philadelphia" is the height of being a sheep. The Union FO, the Sons of Ben, and frankly all fans have a big opportunity to differentiate this team from other teams in the MLS and the region in order to truly legitimize it in the area. This involves creating a great environment for all fans, not just the SOB. The Philadelphia Union and the Sons of Ben can either be nimble lions, or lumbering elephants.

17. Tsmitty53071

Tsmitty53071 Member

May 29, 2010
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Yes, and then we can play pattycake and tiddly winks in the RE too, ooooooo goody.

18. Tsmitty53071

Tsmitty53071 Member

May 29, 2010
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Oh, and boooing wouldn't be a sheep? Get more creative

19. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because showing every other sports fan in Philly how different we are from them is going to make them take us more seriously....:rolleyes:

20. MyCynideCathrsis

Feb 20, 2008
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not trying to justify it by saying "it's just what we do in Philadelphia." I'm saying that it provides a direct link between a new, up and coming team in this city with those teams that already have a long tradition. It allows those fans who are new to the sport to come to a game and feel a little more at home. If anything, it actually legitimizes the supporters of soccer and provides a connection between the typical sports fan and the frequently viewed as "foreign" soccer supporters.

21. DickyDunn

DickyDunn Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Go crack open a King Cobra.

Do you even sit in the River End?

22. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we start settling for what's "sufficient" we're all pretty much f#$@%d. Our move away from YSA is an evolution in our maturity as a true supporters group, that's all. We're becoming better and more creative in our second year but things like this take time. Also, claiming we should be completely unique in our approach as supporters while NOT taking into account that EVERYONE in our group IS a Philly sports fan who is ALREADY a part of the PHILLY sports culture who participate in its TRADITIONS (read "xxxxx SUCKS") is absurd.

Your point of view is fine and I don't have an issue with it. But like every other one of these posts that simply say "we should do x, y, z" or "we can be better" without actually offering any real solutions or direction does nothing to make us better or push us forward.

Lastly, YSA will go away. We all know it. The million dollar question is what replaces it. Personally, for Saturday, I like the suggestion of "Ooooooo 16 Years, NO CUPS!" After Saturday, who knows but we'll work it out.

23. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even just Oooooooooo NO CUPS! Would be cool.

24. mansbro

mansbro Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hatboro, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That works as well. Either way, hitting them with that is wonderfully fulfilling!

25. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A goal kick is a great visual cue, which is why YSA spread so quickly around the stadium. The problem is, we're only getting those people involved for about two seconds, after which there's dead silence and everyone goes back to sitting on their hands.

So for the next few games we're going to try replacing YSA with a simple, repeated chant using the same rhythm:

UN-ION! (clap) (clap)

where the "UN-ION" is "You Suck" and the claps are "Asshole."

The goal is for the whole stadium to pick this up the way they did YSA, so that every goal kick gets the loudest chant of the night going, and not just for a few seconds.

Thoughts?