Opinion on Guangzhou Evergrande?

Discussion in 'China' started by ruazn2, Dec 27, 2010.

1. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    So what's everyone's opinion on Guangzhou Evergrande's buying spree? They are fast turning into the Man City of CSL. Is it good for the CSL or too disruptive? They are trying to buy the championship outright it seems by paying crazy $$ for players...

2. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think it would disruptive because it inflates the price of players.
    if all the good players go to evergrande, and euro clubs want players from evergrande, the price wouldn't be low.

3. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008
    As long as they stay within the parameters set by the CFA, I think they should do as they please.

4. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
  5. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    from what i read from forums
    those people mentioned they dun want the cantonese language to decline.
    especially if one of the sole channels that broadcast in cantonese changes to mandarin, this might affect the younger generation since they would have less interaction with cantonese.

and they dun want the language to share similar fate with shanghainese, where this language is not spoken prominently anymore in shanghai due to government restrictions on media.

i remember you said you are shanghainese, wasn't shanghainese used to be a prominent language 10/20 years ago? and is it true that the government restrictions have led to decreased number of shanghainese speakers?

6. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008
    If it's not illegal, let the market force take control.

Nah, only some Cantonese belong to the special bunch. :D

7. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

I'm surprised at xfactor's reaction to this. As a speaker of Shanghainess which is also a more elegant form of Chinese, he should be siding with us Cantonese to oppose the barbaric Mandarin. :D

8. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Shaanxi tried it last year and failed miserably. It makes absolutely no sense to me to throw that much money at a team at once, the CSL isn't the EPL, getting into the top 4 doesn't get you any additional money, but whatever, they want a title and so if they have an owner who have money, fine. Maybe it creates something like the "City price" for them, but they should pretty much be done with shopping, I can't imagine they'd bring in that many more new players and so who cares. Plus, they have a lot further to come than a team like Shaanxi did as they are trying to build a CSL side.

They will fail in buying the title this coming year, I'd be surprised if they finish in an Asian spot, and so it will make it all the more laughable at the end of the year.

9. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Yeah that's my point. I hear Cantonese on Guangzhou Sports Channel. Why can't I hear Shanghainese on Shanghai Sports Channel?

10. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cantonese is a fantastic dialect as any Steven Chow movie fans will attest. Long live Cantonese!

Guangzhou Evergrande will take part in the Chinese New Year Cup in Hong Kong. The tournament is organized by South China and will feature South China, Guangzhou Evergrande, one K-League and one J-League club. The matches will be played on 3 and 6 Feb 2011.

11. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo-f_SKC2Us"]YouTube - stephen chow movie scene[/ame]

english can't translate the dark humour and extreme sarcasm of cantonese.

guangzhou evergrande eh?
    i hope zheng zhi, sun xiang, feng xiaoting, zhang linpeng, etc. will arrive to hong kong.

the guangzhou vs. south china match is a must watch :)
    can't wait till auyeung yiuchung vs. zheng zhi, chan siu ki vs. gao lin :cool:

12. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We don't know if Guangzhou Evergrande and South China will play each other yet. There is probably going to be a draw on who plays who. Traditionally the four teams will play in two semi-finals, with the winners going through to the final and the losers play in a third place match.

13. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    which tournament is this again?

14. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  15. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  16. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A press conference about the 2011 tournament, including participating clubs and ticket prices, will be held on 18 Jan in Hong Kong. So far only South China and Guangzhou Evergrande are confirmed to take part. The dates are 3 and 6 Feb. If you are in Hong Kong only in January then you will miss it.

17. shanghai_ultra

Mar 29, 2006
    Shanghai
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Guys, I think the most important thing to say about Guangzhou is that maybe Chinese clubs are finally learning to invest on the pitch rather than in referee's pockets, don't you think?

I don't really see any negative side to Guangzhou's huge investment. If they are successful, it will encourage other clubs to spend their money on higher calibre players. If they fail, well then football just absorbed another load of some rich guys cash, and its no loss to the game itself.

18. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i agree that the money injection would bring more competition to the club
    but how many 'good talents' do we have in the china pool?

i am concerned that CSL might bring too much players from other countries that might hinder the development of Chinese football.

19. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Wrong thread :D

20. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Guangzhou 1:0 Shanghai. :D

10:31, Sun Xiang did a hell of a job selling his buddy. Gao Lin too.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGbkwBzTj8A&feature=related"]YouTube - ???? 20110109 4/5[/ame]

21. ruazn2

ruazn2 Member

Jul 25, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    21 to 12, good job Gao! Worse than the stocks I buy!

22. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

Haha, if he gets on the show, Gao may do a better job for himself than for his friend.