"Online" Universities - worth it or not?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Ecclesiastes2003, May 2, 2005.

1. Ecclesiastes2003

May 30, 2003
    When I first heard of "online" universities I thought they were some unknown trade school that no employers looked at when hiring people. Well I did a little more research and found out that there are actually some accredited online universities where you can actually get your bachelor's or master's degree. That to me sounds like a great thing to try, as I have taken some online classes at my current college and I really liked them, but I'm still skeptical. I was just wondering if anyone out there has attended an online university, and if so, have you had any problems getting hired, and do employers take you seriously if you graduate from one of these colleges? What are your overall impressions of online universities?

2. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno... I think it'll be a while before workplaces will hire graduates (knowingly) of these universities.

I know that I've seen some resumes come through with online universities on them and the dept. chair has rolled his eyes at the prospect at hiring someone with a degree for one.

I think the stigma will take a while to overcome.

The stories of people earning degrees for their cats don't help matters.

All this said, some of the best courses I've taken have been correspondence courses where I've seen my professors 1-2 times tops. So I think it is possible to get a good education at an online university... maybe.