One-Time Switches In/Out of USA Setup

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by BostonRed, May 16, 2013.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IN
    Teal Bunbury
    Edgar Castillo
    Jesse Gonzalez
    Julian Green
    Aron Johannsson
    Fabian Johnson
    Jermaine Jones
    Aaron Maund
    Kenny Saief

OUT
    Arturo Alvarez (to El Salvador)
    Dustin Correa (to El Salvador)
    Jeremy Hall (to Puerto Rico)
    Moises Hernandez (to Guatemala)
    Fuad Ibrahim (to Ethiopia)
    Gerson Mayen (to El Salvador)
    Nick Millington (to Guyana)
    Alex Nimo (to Liberia)
    Nevin Subotic (to Serbia)
    Tony Taylor (to Panama)
    Zarek Valentin (to Puerto Rico)

Marko72 repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Oscar Sorto has switched to El Salvador.

He was provisionally tied to the US by appearing at the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey. He was recently called up to El Salvador for a friendly.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Good thread. Thanks for the work.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too early to tell if this will be a switch or just a camp, but Timothy Tillman is ready to join the US:

LouisZ, ChuckMe92 and Alexisonfire repped this.
  6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way it's worded seems to indicate the former, but perhaps the source simply doesn't understand that he can play without filing a one-time-switch in non-cap-tying YNT games...

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most players aren't willing to do a full one-time switch this early in their careers. I wouldn't be surprised if the player or the coaches don't fully understand the rules.

But technically, he *can't* play in any youth friendlies without a switch. It's certainly happened before, but he isn't supposed to play for another country without a switch once he has played in a provisionally cap-tying match. Not sure what the punishment would be (if any), but there is always the possibility.

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Yep. I'm sure he is coming to train and get a sense of things. He must have heard good things from his brother. He is familiar with Germany. He is also probably realistic about his chances with Germany and having moved from Bayern U19 to Bayern 2, his career is at a crossroads. It could help him to have caps with the USMNT or US U20 down the road. He could even play for Germany U20 and still switch correct? I don't think there is any hurry; he will not be on Germany's WC Squad this Summer.

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, he played in cap-tying Germany YNT games? I thought as long as everything was at the YNT level, he could play in friendlies for different teams?

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any youth competitive match (U20 WC, U17 WC, Olympics and qualifying matches + any regional competition matches - UEFA U19s or U21s, CONMEBOL SAYC) provisionally cap-tie a player and that player shouldn't be playing a match at any level for any youth or full NT. It's probably not enforced well, but you'll see that all the articles about Tillman talk about him being required to file a switch to play for US. And it's pretty easy to make a one-off YNT match "not official" because there isn't really a system for registering youth friendlies.

neems repped this.
  11. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is bad but I am not very excited about this one

12. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Julian Green's trajectory sort of put a sour taste in my mouth too.

13. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    No American striker has ever broken out before 23. While we wanted better, Green is only 21 and is about where Wood was at that age.

Look at the chances Agudelo keeps getting and he is 25.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Jozy? Landon?

15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Jozy was about 23 when he had his big season with AZ. Pulisic, Donovan, et al don't play striker. Wynalda, McBride, Dempsey, Wood, Jozy are really the only Americans to have a breakout year in Europe playing up top. Wynalda and Wood were also 23. Dempsey was more of a slow burn, 2010 could be considered his break out at 27. McBride was in his 30s.

16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Young Donovan played striker; Altidore played at WC and scored more than 30 goals in the season and a half for AZ.

17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Donovan never broke out in European club football and never as a striker. Jozy' s year at AZ was in and around 2012. He was born in 1989. I've done the math for you three times. Maybe you could subtract 2012 from 1989 and let me know what you get.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    1. Who gives a shit about European club? Donovan is our best striker ever.
    2. Jozy was born at the end of 1989. His first year was 2011-2012. Before he turned 23 he had a year and a half at AZ..
    3. Try to learn not to be an asshole, it will help you in life even if you can't count.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  19. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    Green is 22. He turns 23 early June.

20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Our U23s might not look like such failures if our region's path to Olympic qualification didn't penalize us for having so many key youth players in Europe. I'd argue the lack of Olympic play every four years is hurting the USMNT as much as anything else we're not doing right. The new president should fight for a format that puts qualification in international windows and/or the summer.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who gives a shit about men's Olympic soccer?

22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's bring this one back on topic, please.

23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    If you watch the second leg of the Bundesliga U19 Semi-Final from last year you now have potentially four American players involved. McKennie, Wright, Taitague for Schalke and Tillman for Bayern. I rewatched the first half, was kind of fun to see so many in one place. Tillman was all over for Bayern. Schalke dominates the first half mostly because McKennie dominated the midfield. The game turns early in the second half when Tillman gets the first half chance for Bayern and buries it with a nice one time finish.

I think Tillman is better than what most here think and we will be lucky to get him. Bayern is a tough place to break in and it makes you wonder if they are telling kids like Green and Tillman things to get them to stick around. You have to think a loan would be the next move.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I remember Tillman being incredibly good in one of the two matches and bad in the other one. It seems like he's a talented player who can put in some very good performances, but is inconsistent.