One-Time Switches In/Out of USA Setup

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by BostonRed, May 16, 2013.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wasn't there some Danish youth international a few years ago who had US citizenship and switched with FIFA but never had a chance of getting a USNT call-up? Or am I imagining that?

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Delaney

Him?

3. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    No. As far as I know, Delaney is still cap-tied to Denmark. Also, he's younger than the guy in question.

I seem to recall his name was Jamal or Jamel or Jamil - something along those lines. Sorry I can't recall more details.

5. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Fearrington?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LOL that is excellent.

9. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    A thread started by @Jamil Fearrington, no less.

Sandon Mibut and BostonRed repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't revisited this thread is a while, but Julio Morales is provisionally cap-tied to Mexico based on his U20 WC appearances. He is inching closer to a one time switch based on his Camp Cupcake call-up:

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/julio-morales-leaves-el-tri-pledges-allegiance-to-u-s

Morales will miss the start of Tepic’s season as he will report to camp with the national team in Carson, California—near where he grew up. It's unclear if he will be eligible to play for the United States in the two upcoming friendlies because his change of association must be completed by FIFA first. The status of his application is still unknown.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The moment I have been training for all my life...

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny thing is that since the trivia question, Brian has been fielding all kinds of questions about who did & didn't file a switch.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    So what do you win?

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @bshredder 's undying trust and admiration... and an authentic Twitter mention.

Marko72 repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless there's a competitive Canadian cap that Tesho has been keeping secret, Jurgen is a bit confused about his need for a one-time switch:

"I think so far [Akindele]'s having a blast. He's doing fine, he's looking sharp," Klinsmann said. "Obviously he can't travel with us to Chile nor can Julio, because they need now the [FIFA] one-time switch. We are not pressuring that. We are not pushing that. We said, 'Take all the time in the world, because once you make that decision, it's a lifetime decision.'

I'm pretty sure Tesho isn't eligible for either match because he hasn't hit the FIFA requirement for living 5 years in the new country after age 18 (when naturalizing as an adult). He turns 23 at the end of March.

Tom Collingsworth and Hararea repped this.
  17. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenny Saief is making noise about considering the US. He would need an official switch to play with us.

19. BigDaddyHeard

BigDaddyHeard Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kenny Saief Highlights

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute, he is an attacking mid? in the vids he looks to be a winger, nice pace, willing to defend, he looks to be an energized bunny type of a player.

21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    He sounds quite jilted by Israel's lack of interest...more than excited about his American opportunity.

But he is a young guy, and therefore overly prone to honesty. He has settled reasonably well with Gent. Can't see a downside here.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  22. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an article posted in the Yanks Abrod thread, you get the sense that this is more of a wink towards Israel than an endorsement for us. We'll see what happens, but with us not playing for about over 4 months, Israel has plenty of time to make a phone call. I wouldn't celebrate this one yet, but it'd be a hell of a steal

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it Klinsmann's primary interest to woo and integrate players who were rejected by other federations so on average they project to not have as high of upside and to play as hard for this one?

Saief said himself his heart is with Israel and he'll always root for her. So even if he has as much talent, which I'm skeptical about getting rejected by Israel, you think he'd dig down for 90-120 for the U.S. against the likes of Panama in the Gold Cup or Venezuela in the Centenario? I hear that from a player, I'm saying don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you. You know what, Israel doesn't want you right now, and neither do we.

We're in the 5th year of the Jurgen Klinsmann tenure, and what has this strategy produced effectively that entire time? Fabian Johnson (THAT'S the player whose commitment he's questioning?), and that's about it. Has anybody else helped us win relative to how the next guy could have? I don't think so. Maybe Brooks will, but so far he's been closer a liability for both the senior and youth teams. All Klinsmann has turned this federation into is an under-talented, soulless shell of its former self with his counter-intuitive, non-revolutionary, Steve Sampson-esque approach.

You're a fool w/ an inferiority complex if you're excited about potential "acquisitions" such as these. The amassing random potential asset phase won't stop. It's like the gol damn 76ers pre Colangelo hire. Someone is going to eventually have to swoop in and be the savior for this organization too. It's not this current Klown. He's Hinky. He's the guy who down the line when he's long gone, gets erroneous credit from himself and others confirming a bias, as if he stayed he'd have made the proper adjustments when he never did throughout his lengthy tenure.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I mean.....Saief >Finlay/Zardes/Lletget?

He'll be 22 next week. He looks like a pretty decent prospect.

Bshredder said he's talking to him again tomorrow. This article was from the Israeli press so we'll wait to hear the US side.

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Did he tweet that or post it here?