News: One Swede for Another - The Victor Lindelöf Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jun 10, 2017.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I agree to an extent. He started playing better under Jose, but since Ole took over our line moved up and its been even better for him.

I think Koulibaly plays mostly on the left.

incighte repped this.
  2. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He does at least against Milan he did. He is also very composed unlike Bailly.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure we need to spend 100M on a CB. If we can't get someone for 70 or so like Srkinar then we need to go younger for a player who can become that in a couple years or spend in other areas. We can make do w/ our CBs if we have a strong team elsewhere.

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    but to be fair how much of a crack at it did he get under Mourinho anyway? remember how all he said was that Lindelöf wasn't ready and needed special care? this was right after he joined the club.

imo in his first real run he's done well (i can only say this now). there were signs over a small patch last season. at the time i said sell if he needed special care but given what has transpired it is more likely he just pissed off Mourinho rather than having some magical emergence from a cocoon of mediocrity and mistakes

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How Lindelöf learned to thrive in adversity.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ter-uniteds-victor-lindelof-learned-to-thrive

That we got to see the best of Lindelöf this season has been very gratifying because that's who he is and exactly what was expected when we got him. Who knows what the real root of the issue was for him last season, but the fact that he always seemed to perform well for Sweden (during the WC qualification campaign, then the tournament itself) was always proof that the problem was not with his ability.
    Would love to see more of him paired up with Bailly the rest of the way. The tough, no nonsense type is what he needs next to him. Long may his current form continues though.

6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Say what you will about Jose but he had real gift for getting one player to play well at a time.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  7. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    We need to tie him down on long term.

8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    ???

he has 2.5 years (+1) to go on his current deal

9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    My bad ... i thought it was 1.5 yrs with no extension ...

10. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think we were all wrong about The Iceman.

He’s been brilliant.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to see Lindelöf having another superb game today. His numbers once again were impressive and he's become the best and most important defensive piece we have at the moment, by some distance. Another perfect example of how just a little patience with new players coming into the league can go a long way. It will not always pay off, but it's nothing new either that people adapt to new surroundings and circumstances at different speeds also.
    Shaw was superb and deserved his MotM award but Lindelöf was a solid shout for it as well.100% defensive aerials won, 94.4% pass accuracy, 9 clearances, 5 ball recoveries, 3/3 tackles won, 0 goals conceded. That is a monster display at the back. He and Smalling are looking a pretty good pairing for the remainder of the season. Still, it makes me legitimately curious as to how good he could be with an even better player next to him.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I mentioned previously one of the reasons they work well is that Smalling will sit while he plays more aggressively. If we do grab another CB, we might as well go for someone who is both comfy on the left and also happy to sit. Alternately if we had an excellent DLP who was comfortable dropping back into the backline, that would work with a pair of aggressive CBs.

13. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Looking at the start of this thread
    Comments about Blind better than Smalling didn't age well.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wish we'd kept Blind though. We could have used a DM who can pass and slide between the CBs during buildup and be useful.

benni... repped this.
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any comparison between Smalling and Blind is completely moot though: they were nothing alike, but complimented each other very well as a pair for a time. And as suggested, letting go of Blind was a mistake on our part in recent years (him and Zaha being the biggest IMO).
    His versatility and adaptability alone were assets to us.

16. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I had problems with his agility but then we bought Matic. I would not have minded to keep him around as a squad player though I still believe youth should be backup or cover.

johno repped this.
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes. I'd agree with that, but every position WF, CF, CM, DEF should have a player who is flexible enough to play another position. I also want a plan B for FW MD DF as well... not necessarily a like for like replacement, but a player who can offer something different. Like Fellaini as a CM is a good example of a recent plan B we've had. Same for Rashford/Lukaku as they offer completely different skillsets.

Blind >> Matic

we don't really have a kid to play DM or DLP though. McT may well grow into it, but he really only got promoted because he is tall.

18. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is a kid called James Garner (sp?), I liked the look of him in few highlights.

And yes Blind was a better DM than Matic.

johno repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lindelof has reportedly turned down the call up to Sweden national team citing 'personal reasons' which are believed to be the fact that his partner is pregnant and due shortly.

Good news for us as should be rested after the international break.

incighte and Futbol_Head repped this.
  21. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic news.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did I really just say someone is having a child and "will be rested" in the same sentence?

You know what I mean :)

Chaz Striker and jnielsen repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lindelöf apparently got abuse and threats because he withdrew from international duty this time, because of the birth of his son.
    “What I cannot understand is how people cannot respect what is a personal reason. For me, it’s completely sick.
    “We football players are not people, we are to share everything that happens in our lives. So that’s it. It’s our everyday life, but I think it’s totally absurd.
    “I have not followed it so much but focused on what has been important to me and that is Maja.”

The Swedish FA still did not take any chances and contacted the police over the matter.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...of-abuse-prompts-swedish-fa-to-contact-police

This is major moment in Lindelöf's life and he has to deal with that kind of stuff from some people. Nice, very nice...:whistling:

25. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sports are in a sad state when fans lose any sense of rationality. It's just a game. Seriously.

Amdrag repped this.