News: On The Sidelines - The 2017/18 Injuries & Suspensions Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few others and I suspected that could be the case. Pogba is young and an incredible athlete, so I'm not surprised (mother********ers).

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i thought he was going to use him as a trump card for a big fixture. i don't know which offhand though

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You guys believe that article?

4. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbh I didn't even open it. I just wouldn't be surprised if Pogba were to make a surprise appearance on the bench in an upcoming fixture.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news about Rojo. Especially if Bailly is out for a bit.

8. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Bailly out for a bit?

I thought only for a couple of games.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The exact nature and extent of Bailly's injury is unknown at this time. Regardless though, getting Rojo back will be a plus (provided he's not deployed at LB).

10. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Shaw at LB would be fresh to see.

11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's clearly the popular vote, and hopefully we can see something on that front sooner, rather than later.
    I still want the guy to succeed, but I'm also bracing myself for the possibility that we may end up going in a different direction before long.
    Whereas before, I saw it as a near certitude he'd eventually make the LB spot his own by the turn of the year, now it's 50/50 at best IMO.

13. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Even I am coming around to the conclusion that Shaw may never mentally recover from the Moreno injury. And perhaps physical as well. We've got league and FA Cup games coming up soon and it may be prudent to play him in those cup games rather than in EPL or CL games, at least until he passes tests in those cup competitions.

jnielsen repped this.
  14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bringing Rojo back in 7 months after ACL surgery is pure stupidity. He's going to be hesitant and at a higher chance of re-tearing. Even Jose said last month that there's no chance he returns before December. Odd that he's changing his tune.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #165 Ashur, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    We've seen athletes come back from ACL surgery in 7-8mos: AP in american football comes to mind (and he's a running back to boot). It's pretty much the norm nowadays among athletes.
    The smart choice woud still be to reintegrate him slowly and keep his workload light, initially at least. But he surely has been monitored closely.
    If he's set to be ready in a couple of weeks, there's no reason to doubt it, especially when he's not desperately needed (despite Bailly recent absence).

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    AP is known for being the exception to the rule. He also plays a sport where he can wear a bulky knee brace to provide support and make the leg leg track correctly. Hockey players come back from ACL injuries around this timeframe but they play a sport with less cutting and friction.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point remains though that Rojo appears to be close to ready. He's been back in training for a few weeks at least and Jose surely has been in contact with the medical staff and gave him the green light.
    As I've said previosly, I'd still call for caution in the early going but there's no reason to doubt Jose here. Rojo coming back in November hopefully will have him closer to full fitness in the congesting holiday period, which is only god for United...

18. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As is often the case, Ashur, you're spot on.

We don't yet know exactly when he'll be ready for first team action, but it's no surprise at all that it's only October and he's close to being ready. Recovery therapy is far ahead of where it was even five years ago and we're seeing players come back in 6-8 months from ligament injuries that used to rule players out for 9-12 months.

We've got plenty of depth at CB so there's no need to rush Marcos back before he's passed every benchmark in training, but December is a heavy workload month and there will be occasions where Bailly and Jones will need a break. We've got Smalling and Lindelof teed up for that already.

Looking at December's fixtures, a possibility would be the home match against CSKA, which at this point I assume will be a dead rubber match. If that comes and goes without Marcos even coming as a sub, then maybe the home match against Bournemouth. If not then, surely the Boxing Day match against Burnley.

With the exception of the blighted performance against Stoke, Bailly and Jones have been purring along quite nicely. Jose won't want to break that up until rest is needed or one of those two begin to wobble.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big news coming out of today's game, obviously, is Rashford's injury. The extent of which will be known in the coming days.
    Jose mentioned that he does not believe Bailly will be ready for Huddersfield this weekend, whereas Jones is recovered and was kept out today, mainly as a precaution and would have come on, if he was really needed.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Want Lindelof to get another game. Hopefully it works out like that.

jeff070 repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game coming up vs Huddersfield would appear like a perfect opportunity to make that happen. Pair him up with Jones and see what comes of it.
    Curious about the exact nature of Bailly's injury though: it seems like it's nothing that will keep him out long term, but who knows since what is wrong with him hasn't been made public.

johno repped this.
  22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Is he going to sit back and defend against Huddersfield?

23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015