Omni: Crew vs Eintracht Frankfurt e.V. (Friendly 07/17 07:30 PM)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Jul 17, 2017.

?

Result of 07/17 match vs Eintracht Frankfurt e.V.

Poll closed Jul 17, 2017.
  1. Win by two or more goals

10.0%
  2. Win by one goal

10.0%
  3. Tie

5.0%
  4. Lose by one goal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

15.0%
  6. Who gives a shit? It's a friendly, you jackwad.

40.0%
  7. #FireBerhalter

30.0%
  8. Make Sheep League Baaaaa Again

30.0%
  9. But what if we *did* sign Pulisic?

45.0%
  10. GOALS! GOALS! GOALS! FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE!

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, here's my breakdown:

The good:

Maloney is good enough to be our backup right back. Let jimenez and his $150,000 or whatever it is salary go, and put it towards a TAM level signing.

Artur is the truth.

Abubakar is super solid, as is crognale.

Martinez's tricks and flicks and flair were impressive. He's still raw, but he earned something like 4 free kicks, all on the edge of the penalty area. There is real potential there, and why GB is letting him waste away i have no idea, especially when finlay is so terrible, and duka before that. It just boggles the mind.

3-4-3 is a GREAT formation for us defensively. Great great great...

The bad:

However, the 3-4-3 is still a work in progress offensively. To be more blunt, its crap.

Left back, and right back as well, is an issue. Francis was much better offensively than raitala, but raitala was much better defensively. I love francis, but he's regressed, and raitala just isnt good enough. And Afful has fallen off as well. We need two starting full backs this winter. At least one at TAM level IMO for the 3-4-3 to work.

The ugly:

Mensah sucks. Sell or release him immediately.

Finlay sucks. Trade or sell him immediately.

Manneh sucks. He's leaving at the end of the season anyway, so whatever.

2. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Why Martinez does not play and why Hector plays..the reason I would like to see a new Coach. He makes bad decisions on a regular basis..it is so obvious. Can we get a summer transfer coach?

TRUJDUB repped this.
  3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And thus concludes our annual Christian Martinez and Brad Stuver fan club match. Stay tuned for periodic references through numerous Big Soccer threads the remainder of the season to learn how Martinez can be the man to save our season, and references to Stuver saves from two years ago.

chr1st repped this.
  4. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinez is no savior, but he was good. Far superior to pretty much all our other attackers last night (for what its worth).

porchlight repped this.
  6. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He is better offensively than Jimenez but defensively they are both trash. Maloney has potential at least

7. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I learned from the game, courtesy of the guy sitting behind me last night. I think he was drunk but maybe you can help me figure it out. Here is what he said.
    1) You can bet on summer friendlies. And the odds where 3 - 2 that Eintracht would win.
    2) The Crew are going to be sold when Rock on the Range ends because that is the only way they make money. The Crew are going to be sold to Austin or Beckham. And MLS will give Columbus a USL team.
    3) Wayne Rooney is way better than Messi and Ronaldo. He will make Everton a top 3 team.
    4) The US goal keeper Guzman is no good. He is the reason we lost in the Gold Cup.
    5) Brad Friedel is really English but played for the Crew for 4 years until he was good enough to go back.

Also I am beginning to suspect that the seat in front of me (first row) removes all energy and ability to cheer from the occupants. Last night had a mom and her Bieber boy sitting there this time. Bieber boy was instagram-ing pictures of himself sleeping with the subject Z-Z-Z-Z. For the life of me I don't know why people pay for front row seats if they don't enjoy the game.

TRUJDUB, Jaybir and chr1st repped this.
  8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have kids?

Pure speculation, of course, but it sounds a lot like a parent trying to engage with a technology addicted (or just emotionally distant) teen by taking him out to a Crew game. To which the kid responded by acting disinterested in order to passively aggressively stick it to to his mom.

Because parenting is often an exhausting, thankless (and expensive) endeavor.

west ham sandwich and chr1st repped this.
  9. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I get it the why the mom did it. And I get the kid acting the way he did. Good luck to her because it is hard road to get back if you are trying at 13. And if you know her I would suggest maybe talking to the kid. They exchanged three words the whole game. "Going to pee."
    I don't get paying for front row center. You can get do that anywhere in the stadium.
    And as I said it seems that these two seats attract the most disinterested pair of people in the stadium. It is not just this time but really every time except once there was a very nice couple who bought the tickets from Colorado. But even the STH who have the seats, I have seen cheer for one goal in 4 years. They consistently check NASCAR in the middle of the match. It is like those two seats are a black hole of caring about the Crew.

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mrs KG and I were not able to have children.:(

May have been a blessing in disguise as we both are CF carriers....

chr1st repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's preseason for them.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes--he and Meram were in the usual box up at the top of 124/125.

13. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bummer to hear that. Kids are amazing and frustrating and wonderful and burdensome and...

14. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Frankfort brought in crap players..most unmotivated..and hardley any players from Germany..

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's par for the course in the BL these days (less German players). That was many/most of their regular players, BTW. It's preseason for them--the season doesn't start for another month for them. Frankfurt was a middle of the table side last season.

16. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Stuver still sucks he makes boneheaded decisions and nothing he did yesterday was impressive

17. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinez, meanwhile, is essentially Pulisic 2.0.

TRUJDUB and hangthadj repped this.
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article from Frankfurt's Website--with photos

http://www.eintracht.de/news/artikel/knappes-01-in-columbus-60984/

Interestingly (and perhaps ironically), press reports in Germany noted that Chandler will likely be Frankfurt's only German starter this season.

porchlight repped this.
  20. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

TRUJDUB and chr1st repped this.
  21. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We need a T-Shirt:

Unleash Christian Martinez! or Free Martinez

TRUJDUB repped this.
  22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For fvcks sake, no one is saying martinez is a savior like some did with manneh. Martinez has got talent, and right now, with finlay being so crap, and higuain having no backup, why cant he get some minutes?

EDIT:

Guess i wasnt the only one who thought martinez had a good game.

[​IMG]

Tobias C and TRUJDUB repped this.
  23. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinez looked good at times. But there were plenty of instances where he received the ball without much pressure and lost it due to a bad first touch (Finlay-esque). He had a couple very poor short passes as well where he kicked the ball either directly to an opponent or out of bounds (Manneh-esque).

He struggles from box to box just like Finlay/Manneh. I'm fine with him earning some minutes off the bench, and that's why we picked up the international roster spot from DC.

24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If I'm looking for a scouting report on a player the first place I look is internet Man of the Match polling for an un-televised match. That's the goods.

25. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ola is slowwwww. He was played in behind the D at least a couple times and had both the better angle and shorter path yet was beaten to the ball by a defender.

Martinez and Artur both had nice games. Stiver did well and had two great saves including stopping a 1 v 1 that should have resulted in a goal.

LastOfEleven repped this.