OLympics Send off games July

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RUfan, May 16, 2016.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    741340917358071809 is not a valid tweet id

2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeeeeeeeeeesssssssss.
    Royals are at home but at least its not the playoffs this time.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

lil_one repped this.
  4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    U.S. Women’s National Team Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars), Hope Solo (Seattle Reign FC)

DEFENDERS (9): Whitney Engen (Boston Breakers), Jaelene Hinkle (Western New York Flash), Julie Johnston (Chicago Red Stars), Meghan Klingenberg (Portland Thorns FC), Ali Krieger (Washington Spirit), Gina Lewandowski (FC Bayern Munich), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Emily Sonnett (Portland Thorns FC)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC), Samantha Mewis (Western New York Flash), Heather O’Reilly (FC Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4): Crystal Dunn (Washington Spirit), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Mallory Pugh (Real Colorado)

For send off games...OG will be chosen from these players

exref repped this.
  5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If any of you hear of where the USWNT will practice when they are in Chicago, please let me know. I would like to go watch.

6. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Too bad the Red Stars are playing away that day. Wouldn't it have been awesome if this could have been a Red Stars -USWNT double header at Soldier Field.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes. I thought of that.

8. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid question:

Will the U.S. players be able to return to their club teams for the NWSL games on July 16-17, or will there be one continuous training camp connecting the games on July 9 and July 22 [at least for the players on the Olympic roster]?

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Some of them r saying they will return to their teams after SA. Allie Long for one. Maybe this is due to the very negative reaction they got for bringing them in when they did. For me this is just another example of Ellis being inconsistent. If there was a point to bringing them in July 1st instead of July 4th it was to give the players a rest period between there NWSL match and the start of camp.

10. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    They get a break after training for the SA game. They are not going back to their NWSL teams. People misinterpret everything. She is most likely going back to Portland where she lives during the brief break.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That makes more sense.

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like the players might not be sure either on the July 16/17 games. Julie Johnston and Crystal Dunn just did a FB live Q and A an hour ago. JJ responded to a question about whether or not she would be at the game in Orlando, and she said, "perhaps, maybe. Not quite sure." If the players are not sure, then who knows?

Semblance17 repped this.
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Gotta say, got to admire Amandine Henry who has been in the league for about 15 minutes asking her NT if she could stay with the Thorns for that extra match. Classy move.

RockyTopFan and Semblance17 repped this.
  14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The USWNT would get more out of scrimmaging the Red Stars while in Chicago this week sometime then playing South Africa on Saturday at Soldier Field.

15. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    And they get nothing out of playing or preparing against an African team before this tournament.
    They don't play an African team in their Group, and they won't see an African team in the knockout round.
    At least when the US men played Nigeria right before the 2014 World Cup, it prepared them for their match against Ghana. That send-off match made total sense. This one makes NO SENSE.

What the hell was US Soccer thinking this time around?
    They had it right in 2014. They have it wrong here in 2016.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/06/07/14/39/140607-mntvnga-live

16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Hunh-- South Africa IS in the tournament, you know...

And as such likely to be actually looking for preparation games themselves. We don't get to just snap our fingers and have whatever team we want show up for a game.

And unless they have changed radically in style from last time we saw them, they are decent preparation for New Zealand IMO. Our first opponent in group.

Of course I'm of the school that believes we get a great deal out of cupcake games, especially under Ellis; YMDV, I know.

17. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does YMDV mean?

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Just change the "may" in YMMV to "does..."

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Anyone here going to the USWNT vs S. Africa game at Soldier Field this Saturday? I'll be there. Taste of Chicago festival is going on at Grant Park as well, so after the game I'm heading a few blocks north of the stadium to get me a big turkey leg and watch Billy Idol in concert.

RockyTopFan repped this.
  20. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh H. Yes. There 7th - 9th....flying back right after the game to keep one step ahead of the authorities.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And a match update

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ellis from Google translate
    1. The NWSL is basically daycare for the NT
    2. I have 3 quality GKs but Im only going to play 1 and pay 2
    3. Dunn and Mewis r the best examples of the NWSL helping the NT but I cut Dunn for WC and will likely cut Mewis for OG. She probably should have slipped Long in there somewhere.

RockyTopFan and FawcettFan14 repped this.
  24. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Brian is out (left hamstring strain)

25. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily Google translate can convert Ellish to English.

FawcettFan14 repped this.