Olympics Overview Discussion

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colombia affectionately calls their own WNT "Las Chicas Superpoderosas" :D you couldn't make that up

lil_one, Semblance17 and sitruc repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never seen national team players complain when a national team player on an opposing club team gets heckled. In Portland, it's considered an honor for an opposing team player to be heckled, it's in good humor, and it shows that the opposing team player is worthy of notice.

As for the Brazilians and Solo, they are looking for someone they can heckle during a game and Solo is a good target. I don't think it really means they're against Solo, it's just that she offered herself up as a target and they are having fun taking advantage of it.

I agree it's nothing like what is seen at men's games, at least in some areas of international sports. Even there, though, it's complex (such as Chelsea fans aiming racial taunts at opponents' players during games at the same time that they worship their own team with a majority of players being racial minorities). To some extent, there's a "We'll say anything to try to get under your skin, even if it makes us hypocrites. We could care less about how we're acting if it works." It's sort of like the guy who got Zidane to lose it during the World Cup game. Sadly, some time it goes too far and turns into physical violence among fans.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Brazil--Iraq men's Olympic match, the crowd was chanting "b*cha" at the Iraqi goalkeeper. The heckling I've seen in woso, including the zika chants towards Solo, are VERY mild in comparison.

4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #79 kolabear, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    The US/France game drew an average 2.9 million viewers, which seems like a very good number. US vs Colombia last Wednesday drew 1.3 million, also quite good. Links:
    http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...t-dominant-for-any-olympics-after-two-nights/

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...-rio-olympics-up-107-from-2012-london-opener/

http://sportstvratings.com/olympic-...-tv-ratings-for-wednesday-august-3-2016/5602/

also posted at EqualizerSoccer
    Some comparison for the US/France game -
    the US men's basketball game vs China just after (also on NBCSN) averaged 3.8 million viewers
    NBCSN had some of the highest-rated cable sports programs the previous Saturday with their NASCAAR coverage drawing 1.05M viewers, but US/France nearly tripled that

link:
    http://sportstvratings.com/pga-cham...ts-tv-ratings-for-saturday-july-30-2016/5574/

Semblance17, exref and jackdoggy repped this.
  5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I wonder if we can top that when we actually play them tomorrow? ;>)
    For the NZ match last Wednesday I wonder how many casual U.S.A. fans even knew to look for matches when A) the opening ceremony hadn't happened yet and B) there is no cross-over from Mens' team fans as they again failed to qualify.
    Would NZ fans account for even 100k of those viewers with the smaller population, time difference, and only slight resemblance to rugby?

Semblance17, Bleed Blue and kolabear repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Frankly there is little crossover for that segment of men's team fans because it's a "youth" tournament.

exref repped this.
  7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think New Zealand would account for that at all since these are NBC/NBCSN numbers and New Zealand fans wouldn't be watching on NBC. I think Sky Sport has the Olympics rights there.

kolabear repped this.
  8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple good points. (Yeah, and my mistake in saying Colombia instead of New Zealand).

1.3M seems like a good number anyway. It's twice the audience for the US opening match in 2012.

Comparing with the previous Wednesday -- the highest rated cable sports program was ESPN's baseball broadcast with an audience of 653,000. NBCSN's highest-rated program (US Olympics Trials) drew 166,000. The highest rated soccer program that day was one of the club friendlies played in the US which drew 402,000 on ESPN.

The earlier non-USA matches on NBCSN seemed to draw respectably as well, with an average viewership of 395,000 from 11:30AM to 7PM ET.

http://sportstvratings.com/cubs-whi...s-tv-ratings-for-wednesday-july-27-2016/5539/

I hope some of the women's soccer websites like Equalizer feature an article on the TV audiences, which so far is very encouraging. I could be wrong but I think Equalizer tends to overlook good news like this and it's a shame. (Credit to Jonathan Tannenbaum and Grant Wahl and other mainstream sports journalists who noted the 2.9M audience on Twitter)

exref repped this.
  9. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad the matches are sold out tomorrow. It's been disappointing to see the meager crowds for all matches - even Brazil's.

Bleed Blue and Semblance17 repped this.
  10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im not so sure the US is being taunted. Other than Solo, crowds seem to be cheering good soccer regardless of uniform and tending to support the team that is behind. I think this is pretty standard in a neutral crowd.

sitruc and Bleed Blue repped this.
  11. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This "taunting" is really nothing more than crowd participation like the WAVE. It's fun to scream ZIKA when hope punts. The boo's are pretty mild. 44,000 in the crowd yelling ZIKA...If I were there Id do it too

sitruc repped this.
  12. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, how the hell do you watch this online? I'm not watching it via App, just want to watch it online . . . huh ?

13. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, I click on "live stream" and nothing happens.

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nbcolympics.com, but you'll have to sign in with your service provider.

exref repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:

Works for me.

16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swe - Ch 0-0 25'

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  18. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love Australia to repeat their upset from last year's World Cup and take down Brazil on their home turf. After last night I'm not as optimistic about the U.S.'s chances in a semifinal against the host nation. Of course, the U.S. does have to defeat Sweden first...

19. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US didn't play well last night, but let's be honest. They're about to play Sweden. US will be in the semi.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    OK, I'll be honest if you like-- Pia scares me to death in a knockout game. She's the only coach in the world who knows both her players' strengths and our players' weaknesses.

We're going to need JJ, Dunn, and Pugh a whole lot, I think. And heaven help us if Engen has to start...

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #97 kolabear, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Reported TV ratings / viewers for US/France on saturday: 2.9M on NBCSN (seems like good number to me)

7-12PM ET timeslot on NBCSN (including, I believe, Brazil/Sweden) drew an average 1.857M
    5:14-8PM timeslot on CNBC (including Germany/Australia) drew an average 840,000

The NASCAR race on CNBC preceding Ger/Australia drew an average audience of 1.053M

source (except possibly on the 2.9M figure for US/France - I can't recall where I got that from, but it was a link from Grant Wahl and Jonathan Tannenwald): SportsTVratings.com

23. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Pia might have a great read on US players, she has also managed to make her players shells of their former selves.

sitruc repped this.
  24. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That scares me, as well as the fact that Sweden was the only team the U.S. faced and failed to defeat in the World Cup last year.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Generally speaking, their "use by" dates have expired.