olympic team without abby - your approach

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Jul 17, 2008.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    as an aside, nothing typifies this personality better than swinging your leg violently at a ball at the same time as the defender is blocking/tackling it with their own leg.

2. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    this is being discussed on the news and analysis thread. Personally I find it "distasteful" to bring up a quote with negative connotations and leave it anonymous just saying: "one person close to the team called her" For all I know, it could be anyone around the team and it doesn't give specifics which makes the statement loose credibility.

I wish the team the best of luck with the cards they've been dealt, and fully expect to see other try to command leadership and attacking presence as she does.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    the quote has absolutely no negative connotations to me. she's just a strong, powerful personality. absolutely nothing negative, or distasteful about that!! more power to her.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    well, "oxygen vampire" doesn't have very many positive connotations for me.

5. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    I guess there are other ways to refer to someone rather than "oxigen vampire" maybe "strong personally, spotlight, commanding force.." but then again... I'm a sensitive "chick" :D

6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Mark Zeigler brought up some valuable points, but ultimately punched below the belt with a few comments. Cheap journalism on his part.

They are losing one of the most prolific scorers in soccer, certainly, but they are also losing an abrasive, in-your-face, often overbearing persona – Wambach fully admits she is “loud” – that unintentionally may have suffocated the development of a post-Hamm generation of players.

I mean really MARK. What school of journalism did you attend?
    Does he really equate Wambach admitting to being "loud" to hindering the development of a generation of players?

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    There is on positive for me in that article. Everyone interviewed agreed the team is going to have to pay more than lip service to possession ball or they will go nowhere.

8. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    That's what I was thinking!

9. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Isn't that kind of his thing? He likes to stir the pot. Used to stir up things when they were fighting with the federation. He was in tight with a few of the old guard. Not so sure he has connected with the new so my guess would be that the quote is from a former player.

10. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Someone close to the team eh? Abby probably told Aaron Heifitz to STFU one too many times :) Seriously though, Zeigler stirred the Fed pot when it needed stirring, and he's been pretty accurate in my estimation. Not sure, but it sounds like he may have even asked Wambach about it, otherwise where does the "admits she's loud" stuff come from? I doubt he lacks connections to the team just because Mac is gone. That said, I really don't care. If people can't express themselves because of a vocal person, that's not something that evokes my sympathy. Wambach feels like she's carrying the torch for the Foudy & Hamm, etc.; whether she's honoring that the way she should is another topic of conversation.

11. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    and back to on-the-field analysis......

Who is the one player Pia can't afford to lose now? I say Rampone. Leadership, quickness in the back and we don't have many defenders left on the roster.

12. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Well, I really hope we don't loose any more players; It's going to be challenging as it is; so we don't need more "oportunities" to make the players step up their game.
    I agree with you in the defensive line; although I think Chalupny is more of a stellar, silent player she is very important on the back 4. Initially I was going to say Hope, but Barnhart has improved a lot this year and with a solid defense is harder to get to the Goalie.

13. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Yes, absolutely, he is trying to stir the pot. I'd prefer my news to be less sensationalist and more fact driven though.

I'd agree - We need Rampone going forward. I'd hate to lose Kai or A-rod as well. Aslo Chupa, but I see her more of a strong backbone than a game changer.

14. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    So if Solo what next!! well can anybody tell's me Branhart will save the day? any way I would like Barnhart to start the New Zealand game...

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Barnhart's a very good keeper. If Solo wasn't around, I'd feel pretty comfortable with her. Strong, good decisions, good with her feet, towering kicks...

Of course, right now at the stage of both their careers, I'd rather see Hope.

16. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I wonder if Pia will stay with the straight 4-4-2 without Abby's presence at forward. With only three weeks between the injury and the opening match, changing things around may seem risky, but the 4-4-2 has seemed prone to areas of weakness lately.

What do you think of trying Lloyd at forward? She's great at taking players on and of course shooting from anywhere, and it minimizes her weaknesses of turnovers and communication troubles with Boxx. Something like this?

-------------Hope---------------
    ------Rampone--Markgraf--------
    --Mitts-----------------Chalupny-
    -------------Boxx---------------
    -------Tarp---------Hucles------
    O'Reilly-----------------A-Rod---
    -------------Lloyd--------------

Bring in Kai for somebody around 65-70 minutes to use her speed and nose for goal.

The US cannot afford to lost either of the center backs at this point. Cox and Beuhler are good players, but they both lack speed and are too inexperienced to play in the middle against the top teams.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I don't know about Beuhler, but Cox has played the center quite effectively, Although it's not her real position. She anchored the middle for Portland her freshman year in 2003 when the team recorded 16 shutouts and lost a 0-0 game on shootouts to Santa Clara in the quarters. That team only allowed 6 goals all year.

She went on National Team redshirt as captain of the u19's the next, and came back as an outside defender where she has played since.

I think you are right, though. If we lose more players, the worst place to lose them is central defense.