Olsen Q&A

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by itwasi, Jul 23, 2015.

1. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    He's just a higher D-mid. Like Pajoy was a really high defender.

JayRockers!, Winoman and superdave repped this.
  2. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Some of the teams that play the 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 don't use a natural #10. They do however have a difference maker usually in the center of the field(Kjestian, Nguyen).

I would argue that the closest team style compared to ours is actually Seattle. The only difference is that their strike partnership(Dempsey/Martins) probably has a higher ceiling compared to ours(Espindola/Saborio). But they have creative wingers who like to pinch in(Neagle/Pappa), two dmids (Pineda/Alonso), and a solid defense.

The empty bucket 4-4-2 can certainly work. It's a pretty consistent formation if nothing else.

Winoman and superdave repped this.
  3. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Halsti come up at all?

4. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #29 tallguy, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    In effect, with the empty bucket, we're counting on Kemp, Korb & Franklin to be playmakers and on our wing mid-fielders to join in the attack while picking up the defensive slack for our fullbacks as may be necessary. Accordingly, Kitchen and our central defenders have to stay back usually to plug any potential counter-attacks coming down the middle of the field.

5. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Who?

Winoman repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great call. I hadn't thought of that before, but now that I see the comparison, it's obvious. What's interesting to me is that the SYSTEMS are extremely similar, but the strengths and weaknesses within that system are very different.

Their strikers are far, far better than ours. Also, while I've never thought that much of Pappa as a player, he's been terrific this year. Neagle is a player I've always liked. So in this system, which has 4 attackers, Seattle crushes our personnel.

But we make it up at the other 7 spots where, with the exception of Chad Marshal, DC is probably superior at every position including backups. Marshall is about as good as Boswell.

It doesn't show up in GF/GA. We've played 1 more match, have scored 2 more goals and given up 1 more. Pretty much identical on a per game basis. In part you'd explain that by looking at the number of matches Dempsey and Martins have missed. And I think in part you'd explain it by just watching the games and realizing teams fear Seattle so play more defensively against them than us.

7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even when playing out on the wing, I think Chris Rolfe plays more like an attacking central mid/withdrawn forward. He moves inside regularly and lets Kemp provide the width.

Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

Thats how the Empty Bucket is supposed to work, only from both wings

9. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Korb did pretty well last week, albeit against Philly who are not so good.

A friend of mine says he ran into Kemp a couple of weeks ago and asked him about the style of play question and if Olsen has essentially told him to concentrate on defense first and his response was yes, that is the case. I'm not sure I totally believe that since he gets forward fairly often...and then slowly jogs back to play defense.

Winoman repped this.
  10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    If your defense is OK with numbers then the best thing you can do is come back wide and be in the open for an outlet pass

nobletea repped this.
  11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He "jogs" back because when he goes forward the left central back (recently, Birnbaum) slides over and provides cover. Kemp is too far forward to defend against the front-running attacker, but he tries to get back to cover the followup attacker on his side.

JRHokie and nobletea repped this.