Oldest album you own?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Soccer-Six-Shooter, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I am not really that old and I have a wide spectrum of musical tastes, but lets post our oldest album. I own more than 300 CD's and 100 record albums all the way up to the year 2002. Lets go with original release date. An album could have been remastered and rereleased in the 90's. The oldest album I own is a CD from an record that was originally released in 1957.

Frank Sinatra
    1957 Album
    "Only the Lonely"

Its a bunch of mellow suicide type songs. I play it once in a while after a breakup or depressed.

2. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My oldest is probably a remastered CD of the Modern Jazz Quartet album from 1951.

3. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    Hmmm. Mine aren't that old. Probably Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vida" from '68.

I also have BB King's "Live From the Cook County Jail" which might be older, I'm not sure.

Come to think of it, I have lots of Beethoven from the 1700's, does that count? ;)

4. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have a vynil copy of abbey road that my mom bought the day it was released.

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The oldest recording I own is some 1920s jazz on a Capitol re-issue. The oldest album I own is probably Birth of the Cool (1950).

6. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robert Johnson: King of The Delta Blues Singers, Vol. 1. Recorded 1928.

7. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    I have the 'Gershwin Plays Gershwin' CD where piano rolls he 'recorded' as early as 1916 have been transfered to a computer-driven piano.

8. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    I own a number of 10 inches of Xavier Cugat and Eartha Kitt which I think are pretty old, the early 50s at least. And some old Ink Spots records that are at least that old.

I also own a full album (i.e. a huge "photo album" type book of 12" discs) of Glen Miller recordings that I believe is from the 40s, but that might be a re-pressing -- I'd have to check.

My brother has a ton of 78s that are from the 30s. But, like Obie, I have several recordings from the 20s, but no actual discs from the 20s.

And really, when you get down to it, aren't we all a little like Obie....?

(as an addendum: The other oldest record I own, -- the very first record I bought with my own money that I actually still play -- is the Beat's "I Just Can't Stop It.")

9. dcsiouxfan

dcsiouxfan New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Warrenton, VA
    I also have an original of Iron Butterflys classic album. I have a bunch of 78's from my grandparents, but I couldnt tell you who is on them.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The Voice of Komitas Vardapet" an album recorded in 1912. It is sacred Armenian chant and secular songs sung by Komitas.

[​IMG]

11. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    I have some old Spike Jones 78s. Just try to find a turntable that plays 78s anymore!

13. Nobby

Nobby New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    You're question got my curiosity going. I'm not much of a jazz fan but I do have a sampling from its history for the sake of giving my CD collection an encyclopedic tone. After a brief check, I found a Jelly Roll Morton recording from 1926 off of the compilation from Ken Burn's documentary.