OL women

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by guignol, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Have y'all heard any murmurings about Schelin's future with OL?

Chicago named her as a post-draft discovery player today and we're all scratching our heads about it. We don't have a clue if this means she may come over for good, or maybe temporary (knowing the Euros run into the end of the WPS season) ... ?

Just curious. It was an odd move and their management is smart enough to know she's still under contract ...

Thanks, y'all. :)

2. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I seriously doubt that Schelin will leave before the end of her contract (which ends this summer). After that, she might choose to refuse any contract extension and go to the WPS, but not before then.

In other news, Lyon have signed two more Norwegian players, Christine Colombo Nilsen and Isabell Lenh Herlovsen. The first is a gk brought on to replace Sarah Bouhaddi, who is injured. The second is an attacker - maybe she's intended to eventually replace Schelin?

Lyon hope to have them available for their Champions League games against Fortuna Hjorring in November.

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    schelin's contract, afaik, is not a pro player contract as allowed in france since the beginning of this season. it's a normal labor contract which she could break as easily as sonia and camill did theirs...

the difference is she's getting paid in the neighborhood of 200k€/year, well over a quarter million bucks which in theory is about half what the red stars can spend on salary for the whole squad.

4. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Really? When she signed, there was so much noise made over her signing and how she was such a highly paid (for a female footballer) pro player. Then again, my French reading skills are totally not up to task.

So how does her contract work? I know that she doesn't have any job, she only plays, so is the contract basically treating football like her job?

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    obviously no one's going to get a look at the contract itself (although i did once see one of djila diarra's bulletin de paie that he probably dropped somewhere and ended up acrobating around the net) but my guess is that she does have a vague official function as consultant or something.

at the time she signed pay for play was not allowed by the FFF for women's football, and i've heard nothing about her status being changed since then.

6. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    stange days for the ladies: for the first time perhaps since there has been an OL ladies' team they're struggling to get to first place.

first, in november they picked up their first domestic loss in 85 matches to also-rans henin-beaumont, losing captain sandrine dusang to a ruptured achilles tendon into the bargain. (swedish defender amelie rybeck has been picked up to fill her spot).

and the showdown at the top between OL and surprise leader PSG, as curtain raiser for OL-bordeaux resulted in a 1-1 draw. a couple of familiar faces played for PSG... camille abily and sonia bompastor! they're only on loan until the end of january from their WPS clubs, so in spring my guess is that PSG's 1 point lead va fondre comme la neige au soleil...

8. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Here's hoping their point lead vanishes. :D

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  10. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yeah, I've been keeping up with it. It's a damn shame. Although a French fan said they were appealing to some other sport organization in Europe, but cannot for the life of me think of the name.

I sometimes think this team is cursed.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you're talking about the Court of Arbitration for Sport. it's a mediation council that was set up 15-20 years ago to deal with disputes arising in the olympics that the IOC felt under too much political pressure to handle. it's a highly respected tribunal, but without official jurisdiction so decisions are only binding in the presence of a prior agreement to arbitration.

the press release OL made in december tersely mentioned a 31 january deadline to file an appeal there, but the last UEFA link just as tersely makes it understood that their decision is final and any CAS opinion will be moot.

JMA takes great interest in the women's section and though no public reaction has been made by the club i'm sure someone's butt is in a big grinder over this fiasco.

12. welshfan

welshfan Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll know whether they're finally disqualified or not on February 25.

During that time, French Division 1 season restarted, with a 4-1 and a 4-0 wins over Saint-Brieuc and Saint-Étienne. They were supposed to play 2 other games, but could not due to the snow.

Also, their D1 next game is on February 28, in the middle of Algarve Cup and Cyprus Cup, which means that in addition to the current injuries (Simone, Bouhaddi, Dusang) they'll play without Nilsen, Stensland, Herlovsen, Schelin and Dickenmann. We hope that Sandrine Brétigny and Amandine Henry, who were injuried last game, will be available.

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i've let, we've let, this thread languish, but let's not forget that 8pm GMT+2 OL has another semifinal to play, in sweden. our ladies beat umeå 3-2 at gerland and have a good chance to go to madrid, elles.

14. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Lyon through to the final with a 0-0 result, actually watched this game over Barcelona. Pretty wild affair with Lyon dominating the shots to an aburd level and missing some absoluty shocking scoring chances.

Final in Getafe same week as the mens champions league I belive.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    for what it's worth, lotta schelin doesn't appear in the team listed on olweb for 2010/11. http://www.olweb.fr/fr/Feminines/300101/Effectifs

the roster is not completely up to date, it doesn't include new recruits, but it's worth noting 1) with schelin it's not a case of not being added but of being taken off the page, and 2) new striker eugénie le sommer was leading scorer in france last year and LNFP woman of the year. http://www.olweb.fr/fr/Accueil/100007/Article/53494/Eugenie-Le-Sommer-premiere-recrue-d-OL-Feminin

16. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I don't know whether to have a heart attack or dimiss it as a possible web screw up. I also see Pons is no longer listed but then they have Colombo and Rybeck still on the site. I've heard about a possible big leaving but it wasn't Schelin.

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    as usual, there's nothing official on the radar. but trying to add 1+1-1+1...

+1: patrice lair (new coach) mentioned lotta as a player he was much impressed with...

-1: le sommer adds to an already long list of strikers, and she was POTY...

-1: lotta's contract is up. it was sizeable. it included droit à l'image. so OL may not have the right to suggest in any way she is on the team at this point...

+1: the attention paid to this suggests negotiations could be in progress...

-1: those negotiations include OL's demanding a serious salary reduction...

but it's all just my idle imagination.

18. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I'd heard about the new coach liking her. I also knew she had a big contract. But while they're adding strikers, I can't imagine they'd dump Schelin for -- I hate to say it-- herlovsen ... The negotiations are a good point. Of course I also wonder if maybe Another striker is set to leave Lyon, other than lotta. I haven't heard anything about Isa, so nothing like that, but ... I don't know. Even if they give he half of her current salary, it's syllable more than she would make at any other club.

19. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  20. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Someone mentioned she had said she'd signed for 2 more years in a drol dam interview. I probably watched the same interview but not being able to understand French, well ... :eek:

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    time to catch up with some results: 3 wins in league and a good away victory in the CL.

OL - Toulouse : 6-0
    Lara Dickenmann 16', 49'
    Louisa Nécib 45'
    Eugénie Le Sommer 47'
    Sandrine Brétigny 73', 83'

Hénin-Beaumont - OL : 0-1
    Eugénie Le Sommer 20'

OL - Saint-Brieuc : 3-0
    Eugénie Le Sommer 12', 40'
    Louisa Nécib 16'

AZ Alkmaar - OL : 1-2
    Eugénie Le Sommer 53'
    Wendie Renard 67'
    Claudia van den Heiligenberg '72

worth noting is that new recruit (and last year's french POTY) Eugénie Le Sommer has scored in every match including a double against her old teammates, while lotta schelin has yet to find the net.

somewhat less interesting perhaps is that while walking the dog this weekend i discovered one of our neighbors is wendie renard.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    also overdue, a translation of an interview (almost two weeks old) camille abily gave olweb:

Camille, can you confirm you're returning to OL?
    Yes., first I have to finish the season in the US with FC Gold Pride. We won the regular season and are in the finals in the playoffs. I missed the final last year due to Euro 2009, so I really want to finish my american adventure in style before coming back to Lyon for 3 years starting october 1st.

Your departure 2 years ago was stormy to say the least...
    It's true that along with Sonia Bompastor, our leaving for the US wasn't appreciated by everyone, especially since it happened in the middle of the season. But things have changed since then, Président Aulas called me personally to say he wanted me back. And I know the new coach Patrice Lair for whom I played in Montpellier. He took us to the European Cup semis with a team not nearly as strong as the roster he has at Lyon now.

Did you consider going to PSG, where you played 6 months last season during the WPS off-season?
    In personal terms, it was a great experience. But OL is really the very best concerning working conditions and ambition. And then, I'll be with old teammates, other people at the club i get on with, and my friends from college. I lived 2 years in Lyon, it's like home to me.

Is the Champions League the principal objective this season?
    Yes, we want to win everything but the European Cup is a real desire. i've spoken about it with the coach, he's counting on Sonia and me to bring experience and comabtivity to the group. I don't know if I'll be qualified in time for the first matches but I'm eager to take part in this competition again. We have a super roster, we can go all the way.

confirming abily's words, an article in bompastor's local paper confirms she's back home after the freedom's playoff loss and is reportedly going to sign at OL.

23. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Thanks for the translations!

Good to see OL get them back ... If for no other reason than not having someone else sign them. :D ;)

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    after winning 1-2 in alkmaar les fenottes* went through in style beating AZ 8-0 at gerland.

first-half hattrick from lotta, unstoppable.

bompastor wasn't qualifed in time to play, but abily started.

le sommer started the match on the bench, came in just before the hour and scored the last goal on a PK she won herself.

the bad news: corine franco popped her knee comme il faut: ACL's, both meniscuses... the grand prize. 6 months.

next round will be against the russians of FC Rossiyanka.

*affectionate term for women in patois lyonnais

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    another fan brought to my attention this interview of lotta... judging the men of course, l'equipe doesn't have any real interest in women's football.